Dark Comedy/Drama Idea - Wayward (working title)

Wayward (Working Title)

Wayward is an idea I have for a drama series about a thirty something insurance man called Norris who lives and works in London.

His whole life he has lived and played by the rules. From having a father who was a captain in the army to being sent to a catholic boarding school, Norris has always lived a life of discipline and never stepped out of line.

However, one normal, dull and 'rule abiding' day, Norris finally cracks at work at a customer as he's had enough of taking peoples crap and constantly playing by the rules.

This mental breakthrough Norris experiences sets off a chain reaction of thought provoking and in most cases illegal acts. From minor shop lifting to taking a dump on a train with no toilets, Norris has finally cracked and undertaken a wayward journey with no sign of letting up.

I guess you could say the inspiration for this would be films like Falling Down and American Beauty or TV shows like Breaking Bad but in a more light hearted approach.

Norris doesn't want to commit crimes or kill people for any type of financial gain as such; he's just simply had enough of keeping in line with the rules that society is governed by.

He used to go through his day with the mindset of any law abiding citizen and act accordingly, but now, he just does as he pleases, when he pleases.

For instance, if he's sat on the train and kids are making too much noise, rather than politely asking them to be quiet or just finding another seat, he now hails abuse at them or smacks them in the head!

I'm not sure what the whole purpose of the show would be about as yet or his main goal, but considering he is man with no goal or purpose, maybe that is the aim of the show???

Any thoughts???

Some promise in the conceit, but to make a series out of it you would need a) something for him to lose as a result of his new outlook on life, and b) some goal/adventure/path that this new approach to life would lead him towards. Otherwise, I think you'd find it hard to sustain much interest in the character beyond a first episode. Maybe take your initial idea and try to flesh out the character a little more, perhaps finding a job/situation where his U-turn on playing by the rules has ongoing comic potential. Good luck.

Thanks mate, my thoughts exactly. I shall get brain storming :)

And it might be wise not to call him 'Norris'.

That's the name of a long-standing semi-humourous character in Coronation Street and I've never heard of another.

sounds a little like reggie perrin could have potential

I like the concept and it definitely perks interest. I think it would be important to have him unmarried so that he is not constantly in a battle with his wife when he does something a bit crazy. If he is free and has no ties his flights of anger and craziness can take him anywhere and are not limited by his wifes reign.

He could accidently get caught up in a drug ring, bluff his way into being a boxing manager, become bosom pals with a famous actor. His change could land him in situations that he would have never dreamt of. He may have to bluff his way through which is where the humour could come from but at the same time he finds each adventure exhilirating when compared to his old life.

Thanks for your input guys. I'm liking the idea of having him get into some crazy situations because of his actions/words. I'm imagining him walk into a bar full of hot chicks and think to himself, 'i could have one of those if I was just a bastard'. Then approach one and say 'excuse me love, you're with me'then she responds by kicking him in the nads :-) But, on the positive he could also get into some lucrative situations like you say. For instance, I was thinking of him walking past a bookies and after having a bad day he just decides, 'stuff it, I've always wanted to place a weeks wages on a favourite', and low and behold he wins!!

I'm going to make a list of things I've wanted and other people have always wanted to do/say etc and see where it could my character. Wish me luck :-)

Quote: Macca @ November 24 2010, 8:14 AM GMT

Thanks for your input guys. I'm liking the idea of having him get into some crazy situations because of his actions/words. I'm imagining him walk into a bar full of hot chicks and think to himself, 'i could have one of those if I was just a bastard'. Then approach one and say 'excuse me love, you're with me'then she responds by kicking him in the nads :-) But, on the positive he could also get into some lucrative situations like you say. For instance, I was thinking of him walking past a bookies and after having a bad day he just decides, 'stuff it, I've always wanted to place a weeks wages on a favourite', and low and behold he wins!!

I'm going to make a list of things I've wanted and other people have always wanted to do/say etc and see where it could my character. Wish me luck :-)

Although now I feel it may start to sound a little 'Yes Man'- Jim Carey???

Quote: Macca @ November 24 2010, 8:16 AM GMT

Although now I feel it may start to sound a little 'Yes Man'- Jim Carey???

I was thinking that.