Profane language in sitcoms

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm no prude - anyone who's been in a car with me behind the wheel can attest to that.
But, when I started to *accidentally acquire* britcom episodes I was honestly surprised to hear some pretty strong language. Maybe it was because I was used to goody-goody American sitcoms and UK oldies, but first time I heard "feck" (Father Ted, naturally) and "shit" (IMHO, AbFab), I jumped up and rewound, because I definitely thought I had heard it wrong. But subsequent viewings told me I wasn't. I later had to add Couplingm, Still Game to the list and several others, and when I *accidentally stumbled upon* some Alan Partridge, I just rolled my eyes and roared with laughter - because I hadn't heard a sitcom character, ehmm, telling somebody to do a biologically impossible deed :P

Now, I was wondering... is it now OK to use such language on British TV? If yes, also in daytime? In sitcoms? Or do they beep 'em? What about ITV? And really - no moralists raising their voices?

Never listen to Nathan Barley - that was wall-to-wall F words from what I remember!

There are guidelines about swearing. It can't really be done before 9pm and there are rules about it being used gratuitiously - the profanity needs to be in the right context and justified to avoid the bleep machine however other than that, as you've seen, it is fairly lax.

I don't know what this says about me, but the first time I really remember a 'f**k' in a sit com was at the very end of one of the series of 'dressing for breakfast', which I recall really liking but haven't seen it since it was on terestrial. There was a guy pestering the Beatey Edney character and I thought she should just tell him to f**k off, but obviously she can't , 'cause this is a sitcom. But she did. It was absolutly the right thing for her to say and she said it. And I hadn't laughed that much since Julian Clarey's explanation as to his lateness on stage at an infamous awards ceremony, or since Rik in the Young Ones found a 'telescope with a mouse in it' in a handbag and proceeded to give it a drink. Literally fell off the sofa.

I know Bremner, Bird and Fortune isn't a sitcom, but did anyone else notice a prolific use of the word 'shit' before the watershed, during the last series?

Excessive swearing in a sitcom can be a bit tiresome, as proved by the monumentally dull Nathan Barley. But it can be used very effectively, such as when David Brent tells Finchy to f**k off during the last episode of The Office. I also remember a funny scene in I'm Alan Partridge when Alan swore on air, but since Dave Clifton had already started his show, it was technically Clifton's fault.

Actually, and although I suppose I’m a bit of a purist at heart, the only time I think swearing is acceptable if not mandatory is when Richard Madely’s on. Hardly relevant, I know, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Baumski

I loved the swearing in Nathan Barley! Hows it f**king collapsing? I think that it seems to be a really underrated show that and, in the future, will be treated as the great work it is.

IMO leave swearing to the true experts, like Mamet. He can cut down characters with a line of invective like a machine gunner at Verdun.

If comedy begins to rely on the shock value of swearing, it tells you more about the insecurity of the writer and the material he's working with. I try to limit it in my own output. I'll write it first with swear words then I begin substituting them on the subsequent edits. My favourite is 'Twat'. I think it's more acceptable and sounds funnier and more explosive in the mouth because it starts with a hard sound as opposed to 'F**k' which sounds like the snare drum of a Judas Priest album being played backwards.

Yeah, I dont really use swear words that much, not because im trying to censor myself, I just dont think theyre necessary. If youre relying on swear words to make something funny then your materials in trouble.

I have to agree about swearing and how it is generally unnecessary in most sitcoms. I think that the more the swearing in a script then the less inventive and worthwhile the show is gonna be.

It's a funny thing that nowadays even though the guidelines on effing and blinding are a lot more lax than even 5 years ago; most writers opt not to put it in will-nilly.

It's also funny that in most walks of life and real situations swearing is almost mandatory these days, so perversely the dialogue in yer average sitcom does not really reflect real life actually, inasmuch as how adults communicate with one another, whether it's in a relationship (private or work)or in social situations with mates in the pub etc.

I'm sure that I'm making a valid point here but can anybody give me a clue as to what it actually is? :$

Dont know about that, I dont think I constantly swear, and dont think its realy turer to life if your characters are constantly swearing, Ive heard people say that before and have never really agreed.

Ask Richard Madely and he'd probably do a phone-in.

Actually, swearing seems to be pretty par for the course these days. So much so, in fact, to the extent that it all seems perfectly acceptable to slag off virtually every 1970's sitcom that was because it was so unPC by today’s standards which, I am sure you all no doubt are aware, now involve every conceivable swearword known to man including the dreaded 'C' word.

OK, I accept that what David Brent said to Finchy in The Office was perfectly in order but then again I felt the programme had strayed from its original roots, which I think, is what the Royal Family did when Nana died.

While there’s no doubt that there have been some really memorable comedy moments over the last decade, personally I don’t think they measure up to anything that was Hancock, Steptoe etc.

And just for the record – and I’d really like to know what the rest of you think – would Fawlty Towers been any better if it had included swearing of any kind? But before you draw your own conclusions, it’s interesting to note that recently it was rumoured that the Beeb was going to tamper with some of the Fawlty Towers episodes like the German’s for overseas sales in case it gave cause to offend. So swearing is good while lampooning the German’s, or so it would appear, isn’t. Discuss.

Baumski

Quote: Matthew Stott @ November 18, 2006, 5:20 PM

Dont know about that, I dont think I constantly swear, and dont think its realy turer to life if your characters are constantly swearing, Ive heard people say that before and have never really agreed.

I don't think that most people constantly swear either Matthew, but you only have to listen when out and about to hear swearing is all over the place.

Certainly in the workplace it is rife and I have done everything from working in a shop to so-called management in my working life.

I don't like characters swearing in sitcoms and think it is a cop out to get cheap laughs more often than not.

I'm with you Baumski and think that Hancock, Steptoe and lots of other shows of the early period are peerless because of the quality of the scripts and storylines.

There was no need for Basil Fawlty to swear, as the scripts were fantastic textbook examples on the art of high farce and most probably, IMO, have yet to be bettered.

Similarly the Office didn't need swearing either; once again scripts superb, and yes, when Brent told Finchy to "F**k off" it was perfect and totally justified both from the point of view of David Brent and the writer.

Fry and laurie got away with Mr C**tiblast before 9pm and a veriety of other sins.

Blackadder seems to deliberately write in language that sounds a bit like swearing but is not....and it's genius..

I'm in two minds....derek and clive made saying c**t into an primitive artform and it never fails to raise a guilty smile on my face.

however a think if you can write so as to suggest vitriolic swearing without actually doing so the material is going benefit.

Would Bottom have been so funny if they just kept telling each other to f**k off ...

Quote: Goldielocks @ November 27, 2007, 7:33 PM

Would Bottom have been so funny if they just kept telling each other to f**k off ...

That's basically the plot of the live shows :)

It's always funnier to make a long winded innuendo then blatent sexual references, and it's kinda the same with swearing. The use of the whole language is the best, not just sticking with f**k. That's why bastard is my favorite swearword. Especially in a really posh British accent.