Consultant/tutor

Hi I'm posting this in the hope that someone might be so kind as to help me or at least point me in the right direction. I have been writing on and off now for a few years in my spare time, I have read and watched a number of DVDs and books on how to write screenplays and sitcoms, however most of them have been American. I have many questions regarding the technical side writing in the UK, correct layout and format for instance, as I understand that things are done differently here.

I really want to get this sorted before getting people to critique and tell me how bad my writing is. If you think you might be able to help and answer an array of question relating to all aspect of writing a sitcom then please get in touch I'm very willing to travel to you and off course pay you for your time, any help and advice is really appreciated.

Look forward to hearing from you.

All the best

Will
willlowth@hotmail.co.uk

William, before you spend one moment of your time or one penny of your money learning how to format scripts for UK television, let me tell you this:

As long as it looks like a script (i.e. it's in some sort of standard format), it doesn't really matter HOW you format it as long as it's easy to read and your directions are easy to understand.

Anyone who tells you differently is talking out of his rear end.

Cue: legions of people pulling down their pants in order to express a view on this topic.

P.S. The BBC have useful layout software called Script Smart Gold.

Download it free from: http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/scriptsmart/scriptsmart_gold.shtml

Agree with Ming - you really don't need to travel or pay someone to learn this.

There are scripts on the BBC writersroom site, as well as formatting guidelines. But at the end of the day I think if your scripts are readable, and unless someone's asked specifically for a definite format then I don't think you'll have a problem.

If you submit to Critique here your formatting will all go for a burton anyway!

As long as you distinguish between action, characters and dialogue you're set. Writing for TV in the UK isn't an exact science. Concentrate on writing a decent story instead of worrying about formatting.

Quote: Ming the Mirthless @ October 19 2010, 8:34 PM BST

Cue: legions of people pulling down their pants in order to express a view on this topic.

P.S. The BBC have useful layout software called Script Smart Gold.

QED

ED's not here.

Content is (almost) everything. Good presentation is required only to help show/sell the content. If your script looks and reads like a script, then you're probably OK on the presentation front.

More specifically on Writers' Room, there are examples for all types of scripts, so base it on one of them if you really want to. http://www.bbc.co.uk/writersroom/insight/script_archive.shtml

Though, as long as it's readable, no-one will mind. If it's in the correct format but shit, they will :)

Dan

Thanks to everyone for the advice, very useful and thanks to swerytd for posting that link.

Yeah there's some great scripts there!

Quote: Marc P @ October 20 2010, 4:42 PM BST

Yeah there's some great scripts there!

*looks at BBC writersroom script resource*

Ah. Yes, Mr P...

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 20 2010, 4:44 PM BST

*looks at BBC writersroom script resource*

Ah. Yes, Mr P...

Yeah, but like I said, there's some great scripts as well! :(

See this topic too: https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/5583/