What is the best way to fasten my script together?

Howdy guys and gals. My script is practically ready to send out into the ether. As this is my first script I am a little unsure on how to fasten the pages together. I am certain I heard somewhere that there is a right way and wrong way to do it.

So how do I do it - staple, treasury tag through a hole, fancy clip from the stationary store, a big pin.....glue.....spit.....

Seriously though, is it true that there is a prefered method? Your advice and experience would be great! Thanks.

Def.

Depends on the number of pages.

I'd put it in a plastic folder so it can be read like a book and you need to bear in mind that the reader might want to annotate it?

But I have no experience, so wait for someone sensible to answer! :P

Punch a hole through the top left hand corner and fasten the pages together with one of those metal paper fasteners. Thats how Ive always done it, and how I was told to do it in the past, and Ive never had any complaints.

These are what you'll be wanting:

http://www.staples.co.uk/eng/Catalog/cat_sku.asp?CatIds=%2C&webid=7m248&affixedcode=WW

I've used them on scripts of 150 pages and they work just fine.

I haven't sent a script in the post for a long time, but I'm pretty sure I used to send them loose. Should I feel ashamed? :$

Yes you should. Nothing pisses off a producer/agent/reader more than loose pages. Rub your scrotum with sandpaper immediately while I try to think up a punishment for you.

Quote: youbackbucksandi'llbackberks @ November 22, 2007, 8:26 PM

Rub your scrotum with sandpaper immediately while I try to think up a punishment for you.

Funny enough, I was already doing that before I read that post.

Quote: earman2009 @ November 22, 2007, 8:27 PM

Funny enough, I was already doing that before I read that post.

Suddenly I don't feel alone in this world anymore.

Hole punch the side and add two brass paper fasteners.

Then kiss it for luck (no tongues - the print will run).

And don't forget to put in a s.a.e if you want it back.

Good luck!!!

Most of the fastening methods for scripts in production are chosen so that pages can be added or removed without faffing about too much. Spec scripts that aren't returned or binned are going to be filed, if you're lucky. So to cover all filing options, use four-hole punched paper and clip it in the top corner. But you could have it hardbound if you wanted or could afford it: all readers care about is that it doesn't destabilise the pile and doesn't fall apart in their hands. Sending it loose indicates someone who can't be bothered to consider the recipient; you may be established enough for that to be acceptable, but you're asking the reader to supply some sort of stationery before they even look at your stuff. Readers, etc. in the USA will apparently bin anything that isn't on 75g/m2 US format paper punched with three holes, clipped with two, NOT three, US format 'brads'. Not the ones from Ryman/Staples.

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't send them in loosely, I print them on 75g/m2 US format paper punched with three holes, clipped with two, US format 'brads'. Silly me for forgeting. :$