Marks and Gran - Von Ribbentrop's Watch

Marks and Gran were on the Danny Baker show on Radio 5 Live this morning talking about a play they're doing called 'Von Ribbentrop's Watch'

http://www.getreading.co.uk/entertainment/theatre_and_dance/s/2077525_von_ribbentrops_watch_at_the_oxford_playhouse

Fascinating true story how Laurence Marks - a Jew - came to own a Nazi watch worth some £50,000 and not being able to sell it on moral grounds.

The interview will be available to download on iTunes as a Danny Baker podcast (about 50 minutes in), on iPlayer and on the 5 Live website listen again facility.

I heard it too. Very interesting story. I think him selling the watch and giving the proceeds to some Jewish charity is perhaps the best thing to do. Was a very good interview in general - particularly the, if not oft told, story of how they used to be able to walk in the BBC, pitch an idea and have the series on telly a few months later.

I could sell it, I have no morals.

I mentioned this a couple of weeks ago.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/9712/2570#P654856

At least 3 Jewish charities refused to take the money when they realised where it would be coming from.

The interview starts about 1 hour 6 minutes into the Danny Baker show on iPlayer.

Quote: billwill @ September 4 2010, 10:14 PM BST

At least 3 Jewish charities refused to take the money when they realised where it would be coming from.

And who am I to judge?

Quote: Ben @ September 4 2010, 11:29 PM BST

And who am I to judge?

Judge... Ah that brings something else to mind, illustrated with this mini-script.

"Ben On Trial"
FADE IN
INT - A COURT ROOM
Ben is on trial for Murder
~~~~~~~
JUDGE
Proceed

PROSECUTOR
(to Witness)
Now Professor, you are an expert statistician, are you not?

PROFESSOR
Yes, that is correct

PROSECUTOR
Given the evidence of the blood spots and the fingerprints that you have heard, what is your estimate of the likelihood that Ben here is NOT the murderer?

PROFESSOR
I calculate it as at least 10 million to one.

PROSECUTOR
My Lord that concludes the case for the prosecution, it clearly indicates that THIS MAN (points at Ben) is guilty.

JUDGE
Defence?

DEFENCE ATTORNEY
(to witness)
Ah, Professor I wonder if you could calculate some different odds for me. What do you think the odds would be that a famous Jewish comedy writer, while some 13,000 miles away from Germany or from Nuremberg, would happen to buy in a jewelery shop a wrist watch that happened to have belonged to a very senior infamous Nazi.

PROFESSOR
(stares at ceiling for a while)
I would say at least 15 million to one.

DEFENCE ATTORNEY
Thank you.
(to Judge)
Your honour, the described watch purchase co-incidence actually happened and we can if you wish bring this comedy writer to the stand to prove it.

JUDGE
We will accept this for fact, given the wide distribution of the news about this Nazi watch and the depositions that you have produced.

DEFENCE ATTORNEY
(to Jury)
Ladies and Gentlemen, given that it was 5 million times less likely that Ben here is the murderer, than that this watch purchase occurred and given that the watch purchase actually DID occur, I put it to you that strange co-incidences CAN happen and that there is REASONABLE DOUBT that this man Ben is guilty.

And this concludes the case for the defence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JURY
Not Guilty!

FADE OUT

And so he attempts to make money from a play about it. Hmm... If he's really that conscience stricken about it then why doesn't he just bequeath it to a holocaust museum or something? No money involved there.

The troube with Nazi watches is that they only have the one hand.

Quote: billwill @ September 4 2010, 10:14 PM BST

*shakes head* Idiots.

Marc C - good gag. Respect.

Quote: Aaron @ September 5 2010, 11:23 AM BST

*shakes head* Idiots.

Well it does kind of invalidate their claims against the Swiss banks if they refuse to take back money which was probably theirs anyway. I believe the Weermacht had such high quality weapons and the officer corps adorned themselves with such flamboyant insignia in part due to the money and assets stolen from Jewish people. Hitler didn't create all that wealth, he stole a lot of it.

Quote: Mozza @ September 5 2010, 1:04 PM BST

Marc C - good gag. Respect.

:)

He said Marc C. You're Marc P. Never mind.