Inn Mates Page 4

I'm afraid I was the one who got arse anxiety. But those discussions actually take place, going right back to the excellent Peter Cook/Dudley Moore sketch inspired by Johnny Speight, which was revived recently on that BBC2 show. On Birds of a Feather, we used to trade two bloodies for one bollocks. Or bollock.

Yes, I'd heard the Pete and Dud sketch was based on an actual encounter. Classic sketch!

It was a good call in this case though, I reckon. You don't want too much arse in one episode. If you get the series, maybe you can do an 'Arse' episode - called 'Arse', and featuring as many arses as possible...

:D

Quote: Micheal Jacob @ August 5 2010, 6:02 PM BST

I'm afraid I was the one who got arse anxiety. But those discussions actually take place, going right back to the excellent Peter Cook/Dudley Moore sketch inspired by Johnny Speight, which was revived recently on that BBC2 show. On Birds of a Feather, we used to trade two bloodies for one bollocks. Or bollock.

Two bloodies are worth one bollock? Wow.

I wonder if there's some dusty document somewhere deep in Broadcasting House that sets out exactly which swearwords are acceptable, and at what cost to other ruderies.

BBC Language Guidelines:

SECTION 69)
i)The producer shall take into account the differing values of curse words and the trade-offs therein. For example; 1 arse per half hour show is acceptable, as long as 2 buggers are cut, or indeed 3 sods.
ii) 1 f*ck is worth 2 b*st*rds, which in turn are worth 3 sh*ts, or several p*sses.
iii) The C-Word is beyond value and no amount of traded-in curses will suffice. It shall not be spoken by any onscreen BBC sitcom character without direct written permission from HM The Queen.
iv) Flange has recently been downgraded from a Category 2 curse to a Category 3, and can be used freely on Last Of The Summer Wine, mainly because the audience won't know what it is.

Superb!

Some poor junior-researcher at the Beeb getting told 'We need a c*nt. Phone the Queen.'

I got about 15 minutes in, but it didn't make me laugh, so not for me. I didn't find it offensively bad or anything, I just didn't think it had much spark. Seemed a bit too reminiscent in terms of tone/feel to other BBC3 sitcoms too.

I liked Neil Morrissey and the kid though.

First of all I'm delighted for John. It's a massive achievement, and its true that doing a pub sitcom after Early Doors et al is no mean task.

I guess the good thing is that pubs are such a big part of British culture that we shouldn't be afraid to have sitcoms set there. Like there isn't just one sitcom set in a flat-share or a family home.

Having watched pretty much every pilot or first episode of a sitcom over the past few years it faired well in comparison but there is always that problem of introducing all the characters in the first episode. Especially with such a big cast. So some may come across as caricatures here but over a series they come into their own.

It got a little too farcical for me at the end, I don't know if they can keep that sort of thing going at the end of every episode but that's what pilots are for.

Good luck to the project and John. And I hope the BBC keep doing this sort of thing *cough* especially when my script is finished *cough*

And there were two other characters we had to cut, though others expanded, as it were. We're seeing it as a show set around a pub rather than a show in a pub.

I think pilots will be around for a while.

You need them to see if the show will get off the ground.

I'm glad you can use 'arse' I put ass but it sounded American LOL. I've just done some editing

Quote: Marc P @ August 6 2010, 3:18 PM BST

You need them to see if the show will get off the ground.

>_<