The all-in-one consolidatory football thread Page 161

BBC always do because they are generally better - and there's no bloody adverts!

Quote: catskillz @ June 7 2010, 11:39 PM BST

I'm backing Spain. They're European Champions, but the thing that most impresses me about them is the fact that, amazingly, they've never felt the need to give Everton's 28-year-old star player, Mikel Arteta, a single cap, even though he was voted the Premiership's Midfielder of the Year in 2006, by the readers of Sky Sports Magazine, beating Christiano Ronaldo, and was ranked the sixth best player in the Premiership in 2007, by the ACTIM Index (whatever that is).

I've just remembered this. Shame I didn't put any money on them. I think I could've got 5/1 for them to win.

Just remembered this from last year.

"England's Premier League clubs have agreed new rules on the number of "home-grown" players in their squads.

From next season, each club will, at the end of every transfer window, have to name at least eight "home-grown" players in a squad of 25.

To qualify as home grown, a player will have had to be registered for at least three seasons at an English or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21.

In addition, clubs have been warned to adhere to new financial rules.

In agreeing to a quota on "home-grown" players from the beginning of the 2010-11 season, Premier League clubs have been guided by Uefa's interest in the development of young players."

So why are everyone still trying to buy third rate foreigners?

The other 17 in the squad presumeably.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8825280.stm

...ah, this may explain why England has actually gone up a place in the FIFA rankings!

Quote: Gagsy @ July 15 2010, 4:04 PM BST

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8825280.stm

...ah, this may explain why England has actually gone up a place in the FIFA rankings!

Notice the text there?

England striker Emile Heskey . . . . earned 62caps, scoring seven goals.

Quote: Oldrocker @ July 15 2010, 8:58 PM BST

England striker Emile Heskey . . . . earned 62caps, scoring seven goals.

Columbian goalkeeper Rene Higuita . . . . earned 68 caps, scoring eight goals. :D

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 15 2010, 9:02 PM BST

Columbian goalkeeper Rene Higuita . . . . earned 68 caps, scoring eight goals. :D

Laughing out loud

Quote: Chappers @ July 14 2010, 1:44 PM BST

Just remembered this from last year.

"England's Premier League clubs have agreed new rules on the number of "home-grown" players in their squads.

From next season, each club will, at the end of every transfer window, have to name at least eight "home-grown" players in a squad of 25.

To qualify as home grown, a player will have had to be registered for at least three seasons at an English or Welsh club between the ages of 16 and 21.

In addition, clubs have been warned to adhere to new financial rules.

In agreeing to a quota on "home-grown" players from the beginning of the 2010-11 season, Premier League clubs have been guided by Uefa's interest in the development of young players."

So why are everyone still trying to buy third rate foreigners?

Because that rule has been withdrawn.

Quote: Nil Putters @ July 15 2010, 9:02 PM BST

Similarly, Paraguay goalkeeper Jose Chilavert. . . . earned 74 caps, scoring eight goals.

I do like that the Nigerian goalkeeper scored more goals last season that Emile, too.

Quote: Charisma @ July 16 2010, 9:46 PM BST

Because that rule has been withdrawn.

Similarly, Paraguay goalkeeper Jose Chilavert. . . . earned 74 caps, scoring eight goals.

I do like that the Nigerian goalkeeper scored more goals last season that Emile, too.

Go on - admit it - you all read the Sun!

Not me.
Especially now they have that weird Vampire Cartoon that I don't read.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ July 16 2010, 11:11 PM BST

Not me.
Especially now they have that weird Vampire Cartoon that I don't read.

And Wallace and Grommit.

Ribery's facing three years in prison. No wonder nobody's mentioned him being transferred lately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10696242

I see Cach will miss the start of the season.

If I was in charge I'd get David James in.

Quote: Chappers @ July 20 2010, 10:05 PM BST

Ribery's facing three years in prison. No wonder nobody's mentioned him being transferred lately.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-10696242

That and the fact he's shite. He has to be the most over-rated footballer in the world. He's rubbish, can't cross and just loses the ball. I'd rather have Valencia, Nani and Ji Sung Park on the wing for me anyday of the week.