That Mitchell And Webb Look - Series 4 Page 6

I found lots to like.

Hasn't the third person thing been done as a sketch before?

DM with long hair was the funniest bit.

"This is my laboratoire!"

Classic line.

I thought that was great. A lot more hits than misses for me.
Exactly how I feel when people say 'Haitch'! Nice to see the lovely Keeley Hawes too.

Love how David Mitchell is never the least bit romantic even in his dreams.

After a mostly strong series 3, this first episode causes me to fear a return to the mediocrity that was series 2. :(

The old characters/situations had run their course by the end of the last series. Most of the new/one-off sketches, even the better ones, ran out of steam quickly and were derivative of previous M&W ideas. A few funny concepts, but poor execution.

Best sketch was the 'sex trophy' one. Funny-ish idea, got going quickly, made its point, f**ked off before outstaying its welcome. God bless brevity (ironic from me, but still...). :)

I felt rather depressed after watching this.

Agree with the general feeling above that when they are good these two are as good as it gets, but tonight's episode just kind of drifted by without making much of an impression.

Strange that the Caesar sketch, which worked fine on radio, didn't seem to fly here. It seemed to have been overwritten in the meantime - but maybe that's just because we were getting a whole bunch of superfluous visual information in a sketch that was just about words.

It was good but it lacked bite, lots of good ideas that kinda dragged on a little too long.

Hennimore was ace though.

I watched a bit of it. Pretty run of the mill I thought. Agree that the pair are brilliant performers though.

Well that certainly is true.

I actually think their acting is pretty poor compared to other sketch show duos.

Quote: sootyj @ July 14 2010, 8:27 AM BST

Hennimore was ace though.

Very funny punch, though it seemed like a veeeeery long build up to it. I also think we get the idea with these, there's no real need for them to be here again this series.

My favourite M and W bits tend to be the self referential stuff, like the first scene where they were apologising.

Overall an entertaining show, though there was a bit of recycling. The 'I don't know what you want any more' scene reminded me of the classic 'Now we know' sketch from series 1.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 14 2010, 9:07 AM BST

The 'I don't know what you want any more' scene reminded me of the classic 'Now we know' sketch from series 1.

Yes, I found that a bit disappointing and it was a shame about the Caesar sketch not working as well on televisions, although James Bachman's mugging as he tried to work out what was supposed to be in third person was great.

I really liked the laboratoire sketch and I loved the 'previously on That Mitchell & Webb Look' bit at the beginning.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ July 14 2010, 9:07 AM BST

The 'I don't know what you want any more' scene reminded me of the classic 'Now we know' sketch from series 1.

Bit more obscure, but there was a sketch in the first series of 'Important Things, With Demitri Martin' that sprang to mind.