Biggest Comedy Rip-off Page 4

I preferred the Munsters though.
I think it was the one I saw first.
Fred Gwynne* was great & the Grandad was a good actor as well.

Still, that Morticia in the Addams family was pretty nice.
:D :$ Whistling nnocently

*I seem to remember a great Bilko episode he guest starred in where he enters an eating contest.

Quote: Chappers @ February 26 2010, 5:18 PM GMT

Wasn't the Munsters first? Or is that what you're saying?

They both ran for 2 series from 64-66; the Adams Family was based off a comic strip giving it more credit as to be "the most original".

I think the theme of originality is best handled by South Park in the "Simpsons' DID IT!" episode. Quality is far more important than originality.

Quote: MTpromises @ February 26 2010, 8:02 PM GMT

I think the theme of originality is best handled by South Park in the "Simpsons' DID IT!" episode. Quality is far more important than originality.

And great artist steal.

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ February 26 2010, 7:56 PM GMT

*I seem to remember a great Bilko episode he guest starred in where he enters an eating contest.

That was "The Stomach" - great episode.

I preferred the Munsters too.

A lot of these so-called rip-offs are not that similar, or better described as "inspired by" IMHO. Back to Class being a prime example.

That's a tough call from our view. The Munsters seems to be more popular, but it's received much more re-run time. I think the Addams Family had more memorable, better written characters. So I think the Munsters was a bit of a rip off, due to the corniness. But I do like both.

The Addams Family had a Gomez. Which is an awesome and cool name. So they win.

Quote: zooo @ February 27 2010, 11:33 PM GMT

The Addams Family had a Gomez. Which is an awesome and cool name. So they win.

Yes, and Lurch doing ballet. :P And the fact that Uncle Fester was once married to Betty Grable. Another reason.

You could say that Miranda was a rip off of several 70s sitcoms, but I'm sure she'd call it a tribute.

Lily was gorgeous. I could tell that even at 9.

Also the characters in the Munsters seemed more extreme to me. The Addams Family seemed a bit tame - except for that strange Victoria.

The A Family also had awesome music. I can't remember what The Munsters theme sounded like.

Both had great theme tunes. I have asked my kids and they prefer the Munsters tune, but they enjoy watching the Addams Family more.

The Munsters theme tune was completely different, going for a very 60s sounding upbeat instrumental, very cheesy but distintive. I hope you now know exactly how it sounds. Anytime.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 27 2010, 11:56 PM GMT

The Munsters theme tune was completely different, going for a very 60s sounding upbeat instrumental, very cheesy but distintive. I hope you now know exactly how it sounds. Anytime.

It kind of had a garage band sound to it.

Yes, a 60s garage band sound, something a bit like The Cavemen rustled up in their very short tenure.

Quote: Alfred J Kipper @ February 28 2010, 12:07 AM GMT

Yes, a 60s garage band sound, something a bit like The Cavemen rustled up in their very short tenure.

With a little horn added for good measure, sort of like a garage band that is obsessed with Hawaii 5-0.