Biggest Comedy Rip-off Page 3

Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse's Smashie and Nicey bore more than a passing resemblance to Chris Morris's pratt DJ on GLR called Wayne Carr. In fact Enfield could probably take David Frost's 60s nickname the "the bubonic plagiarist." I think he even nicked Stavros off Paul Whitehouse while he was off doing a proper job.

I've never seen Coupling (as I recall) to comment but I have heard about it being a UK friends rip-off a few times.

Still I see no one has disagreed with my comparison of Big Top to The Tweenies :)

Of course there's always Mark Wllliams on The Fast Show ripping off the Bill Murray scene in Caddyshack, that I mentioned a few months back.

Not to mention Alan Partridge being stolen from Lee and Herring.

I'd say elements of Paul Whitehouse's Unlucky Alf were derived from John Sparkes' Bert Bastard from Absolutely. Especially the use of the word, bugger.

Quote: Aaron @ February 26 2010, 12:35 AM GMT

Not to mention Alan Partridge being stolen from Lee and Herring.

Really? Tell me more.

My memory's too shabby to remember much of the detail, but 'apparently' they created the character when working on whatever the series was (On The Hour?). Once it started getting popular and Coogan etc realised the potential, L&H were thrown out.

(I gather that they don't think Chris Morris knew much, if anything, about it.)

I'm sure someone else can pop up (Matthew Stott?) and fill in the blanks.

Quote: Aaron @ February 26 2010, 1:10 AM GMT

(I gather that they don't think Chris Morris knew much, if anything, about it.)

I have a feeling Patrick Marber was involved.

Webster was probably one of the biggest sitcom rip-offs.

The biggest rip-off must have been The Munsters of The Addams Family.

I dream of Genie/Bewitched

Back to Class/The Office.

Quote: Kenneth @ February 26 2010, 10:15 AM GMT

Back to Class/The Office.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ February 26 2010, 10:07 AM GMT

The biggest rip-off must have been The Munsters of The Addams Family.

Wasn't the Munsters first? Or is that what you're saying?

Quote: Chappers @ February 26 2010, 5:18 PM GMT

Wasn't the Munsters first? Or is that what you're saying?

They were on TV at the same time, but The Addams Family was aired about a week before and was based on the Charles Addams comic strip that was around in the 40s, though it's claimed The Munsters were from an idea pitched back then too.

I always saw The Munsters as a poor man's version of the Addams.