Partridge movie decision "expected in a month" Page 2

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 9 2010, 9:42 AM GMT

Oh yes it will.That is exactly what will happen, why it is doomed from the start and why we all want another TV series.

Yeah, I think that if you're going to get Baynham, Iannucci and Coogan together (which is apparently proving difficult in itself), it would be an awful waste if it's just for a one-off film. I would *love* another series of I'm Alan Partridge, especially if it's anything like the first one. But I think the best we can hope for is a film or TV special at this stage.

Coogan sounding quite positive about the idea in this BBC interview: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8501265.stm

Still calling it "something else" rather than a "film" though. Come on Steve, give us another series you swine!

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 9 2010, 9:42 AM GMT

I think the American-hating aspect of his character will be *cough* modified.

More than likely, although Iannucci did a great job with Malcolm Tucker in the USA, so who knows. I do agree that it does just seem like a ploy to make it appeal to US viewers though, rather than a plot necessity. I really hope not.

Is it a definite that Coogan will play Partridge?

If they're going to American-ize it, perhaps someone like Ben Stiller will be given the role?

Quote: Mickeza @ February 8 2010, 8:25 PM GMT

I've only recently discovered Partridge and it's utter awesomeness. I think it's going to be set in the USA if they do one, which would be easy to write as you could just observe Gervais in the States for a week and you'd get all the Partridge material you would ever need.

Jealousy at it's most blatant once again.

Quote: Jacob Loves Comedy @ February 9 2010, 10:19 PM GMT

Jealousy at it's most blatant once again.

Nonsense. I love most of his output (with the genius that is Merchant), and he is indeed living a life many pray to lead, but he's still an utter pillock. He takes any chance he gets to put down current British comedy and suck up to Americans, and his comment about "no good British films for the past 50 years" was both ignorant and insulting. I don't like Piers Morgan either, does that make me jealous of him too?

Does anyone know who the writers are? Imagine if Chris Morris and Stewart Lee were on the project.

I loved I'm Alan Partridge Series 1 in the Travel Tavern, and considered purchasing the previous Knowing Me, Knowing You outing. Never saw it upon first broadcast, and still haven't as yet. Unless you're a die hard fan (plenty of 5/5 Amazon ratings), I thought I'm Alan Partridge S2 was average. One to rent perhaps - nowhere near as funny or clever as S1. Will raise hope that any new outing can improve on what was on our screens in 2002... He's surely had plenty of time to come up with something better. (In my opinion!) :)

So, nearly a month later and it seems to have gone quiet again. Come on Steve, we want some news! Laughing out loud

Well I can only really see it being big over here, so is it going to be that profitable to make? - Possibly what's worrying the studio? The Americans won't get the Englishness of this character, but maybe I'm wrong, as I was a bit surprised that Brent became so popular in the US.

Ironically, the character of Partridge might flourish in America, in the same way the likes of *shudder* Piers Morgan have.

Artistically the film will be a disaster if Alan's character is in any way modified to suit a foreign audience. Partridge has so much back-story and is such a defined, three-dimensional character, that to compromise with his reactions to situations, his general world view or, crucially, his dialogue, will produce a backlash from die-hard fans and most likely a shrug of bemusement from those new to the character. Uncompromising, that should be the watchword when approaching the idea of taking Alan to the big screen. The added difficulty is that Partridge's world is, like his character, frustratedly limited. To make a Partridge story convincingly filmic, to paint him on a bigger canvas, requires one hell of a great idea.

Personally, I would like to see Alan - in a sort of Frost/Nixon scenario - as this little-known British TV presenter who somehow lands the chance to go over to the US and secure a revelatory interview with a massively significant American politician.

(Though of course I'll go and see it regardless of any concerns, if it happens...)

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 23 2010, 10:22 AM GMT

Personally, I would like to see Alan - in a sort of Frost/Nixon scenario - as this little-known British TV presenter who somehow lands the chance to go over to the US and secure a revelatory interview with a massively significant American politician.

I like this.

Quote: Tim Walker @ March 23 2010, 10:22 AM GMT

I think that's a terrific idea - even without Alan in it. Perhaps you should write it.

Quote: Dave @ March 23 2010, 2:36 PM GMT

Perhaps you should write it.

I think a much better idea would be for Iannucci, Coogan and Baynham to write it, but give me a paid story credit and a percentage. ;)

This delay thing is what happens these days when a creative team get success. The initial show propells them all to stardom, they get inundated with offers they can't turn down, and when fans of the show they made together beg for another one, they can't wriggle out of their current projects to do it, and if they do, they've lost that spark they once had as a unit. If Coogan really wants to resurrect Patridge then he should do it on his own, or get other good writers in to help him. It'll teach the other co-creators for forgetting the character that made them! There seems to be very little loyalty in this country these days to original projects - it seems that when members of a team get other offers, they leave without a care in the world for the show that the public love. This must be why really good British sitcoms rarely seem to make it past the 2nd or 3rd series. This doesn't happen in America! Good morning.