Newsjack Quickie Failures Page 15

Few of my failures...

VOXPOPS

MAN – I can't believe English councils are so bothered about replacing misspelt road signs; they've obviously never been to Wales.

MAN – Did you see that Indonesian man whose cigarette exploded in his mouth? (BEAT) Now that's how you halve smokers.

MAN – I can't believe Margret Thatcher ate 28 eggs a week! No wonder she's such an old fart.

Correction:

Last week we stated that harsh accelerating was bad for the environment. What we forgot to say was if your car is a Toyota and you have pushed the accelerator… Jump now!

I got conned by one of those tax return scam emails. A lost a fortune. Still, I had the last laugh. A Nigerian solicitor reckons he's going to put two million quid in my bank account.

I read in the news that scientists have discovered a dinosaur which had ginger feathers. What's the betting the poor thing was bullied a lot?

I hear shops are going to have to switch off their lights at night. How am I going to shop at my local 24 hour Tesco at 3 in the morning if I can't see a ruddy thing? (AFTER A PAUSE) Oh, well. At least I'll be able to shop in my pyjamas.

"I read in the news that scientists have discovered a dinosaur which had ginger feathers. What's the betting the poor thing was bullied into extinction?"

Sorry I don't normally bother but I felt I had to change it.

Carry on...

I've been reading some of the posts on here for a few weeks now and have decided to share some of my rejected vox pops and one-liners from this series so far (some of them are a few weeks old now):

Vox Pop:
I heard that a man this week was arrested for sexually assaulting a donkey. I bet he felt an ass.

Vox Pop:
The Tories have promised that they really can deliver spending cuts and I believe them. They've already given us a cheap Tony Blair knock-off for a start.

Vox Pop:
I can't believe that Mandelson has promised an extra holiday for the Queen's jubilee. As if she's doesn't have enough time off as it is.

Vox Pop:
I think Channel Four were being a little too literal when they put Alec Baldwin's younger sibling on a show called "Celebrity Big Brother".

Vox Pop:
I'm glad to hear Gordon Brown has promised to create more middle-class jobs because, and lets be honest here, we've all been saying how there aren't enough lawyers, accountants and assistant regional managers these days.

Vox Pop:
I read in the news that students only have a ten-minute attention span. Or something like that, I got distracted halfway through reading the article.

Vox Pop:
Did you hear about all those New Yorkers who took part in the "no pants subway ride"? I mean talk about barefaced cheek!

Vox Pop:
I am so angry that the government is going to be buying off the Taliban. I didn't like it when they bailed out RBS but nationalising terrorists is definitely a step too far!

Vox Pop:
I turned up at Tesco's last week only to find out that I was banned from the store because I was wearing my nightware. But then I do sleep in the nude, so maybe they had a point.

Joke for Miles:
Reports this week indicate women take longer than men to get a joke; probably because their pretty little heads are thinking about shopping and stuff. Don't worry guys; I'm safe saying that. I'll have a 30 second head-start before any of them get it.

Joke for Miles:
Now I know a lot of people are calling for John Terry to step down from the England Captaincy but we at Newsjack were absolutely thrilled at the news that he's been playing away from home. We were worried we wouldn't have any use for all the leftover Tiger Woods jokes.

Joke for Miles:
In other news this week, Bill Gates has donated six billion pounds to charity. There's not a joke coming here, I just thought it would be nice to mention it.

Some good one-liners there Jim. Welcome :)

Quote: Paul W @ February 5 2010, 5:25 PM GMT

"I read in the news that scientists have discovered a dinosaur which had ginger feathers. What's the betting the poor thing was bullied into extinction?"

Sorry I don't normally bother but I felt I had to change it.

Carry on...

Mucho improvemento, as they don't say in Spain, Italy or wherever. :)

Quote: Indiana Jim @ February 5 2010, 7:07 PM GMT

I am so angry that the government is going to be buying off the Taliban. I didn't like it when they bailed out RBS but nationalising terrorists is definitely a step too far!

Like this one a lot.

I think there could be a great joke there about comparing the Taliban to the board of RBS, and the board being the terrorists holding us all to ransom!

Just can't quite think of it.

Vox Pop:
I heard that a man this week was arrested for sexually assaulting a donkey. I bet he felt an ass.

Vox Pop:
I think Channel Four were being a little too literal when they put Alec Baldwin's younger sibling on a show called "Celebrity Big Brother".

Very good.

Quote: Mikey Jackson @ February 5 2010, 4:30 PM GMT

I got conned by one of those tax return scam emails. A lost a fortune. Still, I had the last laugh. A Nigerian solicitor reckons he's going to put two million quid in my bank account.

I like this one!

Here are my efforts. Some of which were also in my sketch, so apologies for the deja vue...

Hackers have written a malicious program to crack the iPad. It's called "the Bathroom Scales app".

When asked "what's your favourite iPad game?" Steve Jobs explained "I love the table-tennis game – but you've got to switch the iPad off first, and don't hit the ball too hard".

NEWSBULLET: more cheek than tongue; and more tongue-in-cheek than a pair of old boots with a face.

NEWSBULLET: sharper than a bag of sherbet, more gripping than a Paul Flynn handshake, and easier to swallow than a porcupine with an ASBO.

A Tesco store has banned customers from shopping in pyjamas. The manager of the sports shop next-door said he wouldn't go so far as a ban, but would ask customers in their pyjamas not to use the exercise bikes.

Heathrow Airport is even worse than Tescos! They wouldn't let me through the body scanner because the operator was offended by my pyjamas.

Surfer Dude American accent:
I'm with you Paul Flynn, MP dude: Heinous hand shakes are "most bogus". They totally dent your digits! Much better to say "was uuuuuuupppp!"

In a report about road sign errors, one council explained that spelling mistakes don't matter, but the squiggly red lines underneath the spelling mistakes are extremely annoying.

Quote: Drew @ February 5 2010, 8:19 PM GMT

Hackers have written a malicious program to crack the iPad. It's called "the Bathroom Scales app".

F**king brilliant! Laughing out loud

Seconded!

Vox Pop:

This is excellent too, though good consistent standard there, Jim!

Dan

Vox Pop:
I can't believe that Mandelson has promised an extra holiday for the Queen's jubilee. As if she's doesn't have enough time off as it is.

This one is shouting out "Newsjack". Bad luck. Some other very good ones too.

Some newsbullet stuff mainly. I've sent them an email to ask if they've dropped it now. I'll let you know what they say.

Newsbullet! Kicking Newsround in the nuts and getting away with a light ASBO!

Michael Douglas's son Cameron is our hero of the week as he stood before a Federal court facing drug dealing charges. He defiantly told the judge 'Weed is good'

Newsjack and Gill went up the hill and nine months later – Newsbullet! – we don't fire blanks.

Tesco's are throwing out people in pajamas, although they've no problem with people from Hamas.

Newsbullet! If we got to a tennis final we'd win it.

Newsbullet! On BBC Radio 7. We didn't bother with exams and look where we are!

CORRECTIONS

The creator of Apple's new tablet computer the I-Pad has not been forced to rename it 'My Bad'

Newsjack would like to apologise to Germany for comparing its new kit to the Nazi's SS uniform. They have assured us it has nothing to do with them choosing their World Cup warm-up matches against Poland, Russia and Judaism.

[quote name="Beelzebozo" post="583768" date="February 6 2010, 4:54 PM GMT"]Some newsbullet stuff mainly. I've sent them an email to ask if they've dropped it now. I'll let you know what they say.

I'm sure they haven't. A whole section was recorded. It just wasn't used.

Really? that's good to know, cheers. Did they also record a 'look at my opinions and agree' sketch?