At what age should you give up?

At what age should you give up trying to be a writer and go on a killing spree down at the local shopping centre? (I would say school, but they're pretty dangerous places these days)

It depends upon what age you started. I'd say if you've not had anything used after two years of regular submission, it's probably not going to happen. It doesn't mean you have to give up though.

If you enjoy doing it regardless, then never.

I think you should only give up if 'you' believe your work isn't good; and/or if you continually get rejection letters that don't offer a single word of encouragement. If you don't believe in your writing, and you don't feel passionately about it, neither will anyone else. For me, giving up isn't an option.

At the age of 69, Not because your too old, the number just conjures up interesting thoughts in my mind.

Ice age?

Quote: Jason Kindred @ September 27, 2007, 1:26 PM

At what age should you give up trying to be a writer and go on a killing spree down at the local shopping centre? (I would say school, but they're pretty dangerous places these days)

Who says that comedians aren't mentally stable....

if you enjoy writing then you should never give up.
if you are continually being rejected you should try and understand why. it may be that you could try other types of writing, or try to make some of your stuff on your own, or maybe do a writing course. i look at my writing in the first few years and whilst i thought it was amazing at the time, i can see why everyone i sent it to thought it was cack.
after 6 more years and a part time MA it has improved slightly. i hope.

Give up at 29. There is no life after 30, especially for Sitcom Writers. True fact.

2 years?

Have you absolutely no commitment?! :)

You must be one of them youngn's, to whom 2 years seems like a long time.

I've been script writing for 5 years and just started to get work. :)

Actually 8 years, but that was just for fun. So my real number is just about 1 n half years.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 27, 2007, 4:14 PM

Give up at 29. There is no life after 30, especially for Sitcom Writers. True fact.

and there are no good comedy writers under the age of 30. True Fact.

2 years? I don't think so. After two years you're just warming up.

The guy who wrote TLC (Finton Coyle, of co-creating The Weakest Link fame) took about a decade plus to get his sitcom made.

I'd only start to get itchy feet if I felt I wasn't progressing toward my goal. As I feel I AM progressing, I won't be giving up.

I've been writing seriously for two years. And am getting on nicely, slowly but surely. You have to have patience.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ September 27, 2007, 5:33 PM

and there are no good comedy writers under the age of 30. True Fact.

Is that a joke, or do you really think that?

No, I'm in the business and quite old by comedy standards. It's just that most of the people I know that had any success had the first break within a year. One or two within two years. I don't know anyone that took longer than that. Which doesn't mean it can't be done. The thing is, if you're funny the work tends to come, even if you're a bit crap at writing. If you perfect the writing, but still can't be very funny, it'll probably never happen. Now go and prove me horribly wrong - It would make me very happy.