At what age should you give up? Page 2

Oh fair enough. To be honest I totally misread your post, and thought you meant after 2 years of writing, not 2 years of submitting.
I still don't like to think that's true either way, though.

If you enjoy it never give up. Though I presume after a couple of years or more you'd get the message that it's possibly not going to happen for you. But keep going if you have the ideas and the desire. I'm sure someone could give us examples from all walks of life where people succeeded at a relatively late stage.

Quote: Seefacts @ September 27, 2007, 5:36 PM

Is that a joke, or do you really think that?

it's a joke. i'm 29 (and a half)

Quote: Nick Rivers @ September 27, 2007, 5:51 PM

it's a joke. i'm 29 (and a half)

Ah., sorry, I'm stupid.

Is Nick Rivers your real name? If so you could always fall back on being a trilby-wearing PI's who has dames coming up to his office smoking with those long black cigarette holders. If you like.

Quote: Seefacts @ September 27, 2007, 5:55 PM

Ah., sorry, I'm stupid.

Is Nick Rivers your real name? If so you could always fall back on being a trilby-wearing PI's who has dames coming up to his office smoking with those long black cigarette holders. If you like.

i'm afraid my true identity is top secret

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 27, 2007, 4:14 PM

Give up at 29. There is no life after 30, especially for Sitcom Writers. True fact.

:O ...that's outrageous how can you think you that, you twat!

------------------------------------------------

I am not as focussed at making it as a writer as some of you guys seem to be, but I have written all my life from about 7 years onwards starting with scribbles and stories and poems and drawings and songs and cartoons, etc.

I tried to give up 'writing' once but just came back to it as it's not something I was able to give up! :)

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 27, 2007, 7:32 PM

:O ...that's outrageous how can you think you that, you twat!

He's just said that he was joking, you wally.

Quote: Nick Rivers @ September 27, 2007, 5:33 PM

and there are no good comedy writers under the age of 30. True Fact.

There may be, who knows? ;)

Quote: Seefacts @ September 27, 2007, 5:36 PM

Is that a joke, or do you really think that?

It was a joke Jim, but not as we know it! ;)

Quote: Seefacts @ September 27, 2007, 7:36 PM

He's just said that he was joking, you wally.

I know I was joking, I wasn't reading Nick Rivers posts except his reply to mine and I was referring to that twat Rage not him, but how did you find out my real name was Jonty? ;)

If you love writing then you'll most likely never stop. You may stop trying to make something of your writing though if you keep continually getting rejection letters.

If you think about it quite a few sitcom writers don't make it till well in their 30's and they've been trying to break in for years, so it's just down to the passion and determination..oh and talent. Although most the young writers that have made it lack the latter.

Quote: Frankie Rage @ September 27, 2007, 7:42 PM

There may be, who knows? ;)

It was a joke Jim, but not as we know it! ;)

I know I was joking, I wasn't reading Nick Rivers posts except his reply to mine and I was referring to that twat Rage not him, but how did you find out my real name was Jonty? ;)

I've literally no idea what you're talking about :)

Quote: Nick Rivers @ September 27, 2007, 5:57 PM

i'm afraid my true identity is top secret

You're really an american rock and roll star who joined the french resistance only to fall in love with a girl who was marooned on a desert island with thatblokefropm Emmerdale.

Incidentally I think you shouldf give up when you can't make people laugh - so I don't know what the last 5 years have been about.

I personally will never give up as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. It's been two or three years since I started and I enjoy it now more than I did when I started. I'm a lot better now and will, hopefully, continue to get better. I'm in my early twenties at the moment, so I have plenty of time yet to keep cracking away (If I get killed in a bizarre accident tomorrow, boy will my face be red!) It may take many more years to succeed and I'm willing to wait.

Quote: earman2009 @ September 27, 2007, 8:54 PM

I personally will never give up as long as I enjoy what I'm doing. It's been two or three years since I started and I enjoy it now more than I did when I started. I'm a lot better now and will, hopefully, continue to get better.

I feel the same and I'm 51 now. I only really started trying a couple of years ago.

Quote: earman2009 @ September 27, 2007, 8:54 PM

(If I get killed in a bizarre accident tomorrow, boy will my face be red!)

LOL

And probably the rest of you!

Quote: Seefacts @ September 27, 2007, 8:27 PM

I've literally no idea what you're talking about :)

Sorry Seefacts I think I have my wires crossed somewhere.. :S

I don't think age is the main factor of making such a decision. Its about how much time you are prepared to spend on something before you get what you want back out of it. Some people write for themselves so they'll do that forever, some write in hope of getting a career in it and might be scarifying time and money that is usually a finite resource.