Benidorm Unpacked

Not strictly a comedy. More of a docu/tragi/comedy, following the antics of ex-pats in benidorm struggling to make ends meet as they "entertain" people on the club circuit.

Meet Neil St John and Anya. Neil, a Meat Loaf tribute act/bingo caller who lost an arm and a leg, both finacially, and in a train accident. Known as "The voice of benidorm" found love with Ukranian illegal immigrant Anya. After getting axed from Club "Valentines", Neil plans to whisk Anya, who managed to escape from Eastern Europe, off to Bulgaria to seek their fortune...

Also meet Matthew and Son, "Comedy" Caberet duo. A father and son double act. Dad is trying to live his childhood ambition of becoming famous through his son. Matthew is a fat arrogant tw@t who genuinily believes he can sing. He dosen't like to boast but hes been told he's "got one of the best voices in Bendiorm". To be fair he did belt out Tom Jones, and manged to squeeze a "come on" or "oh yeah" between every line. But all is not well with Matthew and Son, as Matthew has been moonlighting with a Take That tribute act (Very high production levels) and his dad fears for the future of their act...

The name is a Joke by the way because Matthew IS the Son. Mental.

Heres the website

www.matthewandson.net

Shit hot.

Anyone else see this? I've found it hilarious, moving and it really makes me want to smash my TV in.

Hi jdubya. Yes, it's a series. It's made by TigerAspect, the same people who made the sitcom Benidorm (they got the film crew to do both series whilst they were out there this summer).

You've missed at least one episode, they're on 10pm on ITV1 on Wednesdays. There's one next week.

(If you search online you might be able to find the previous episodes. I haven't got the hang of it yet but it might even be on the new ITV video player on their website?!?)

cheers mark.

just been rooting round ITV to try and find this to play again with no joy. If I do I'll post here.

Never even heard of it. ITV do great marketing. :)

I doubt you would have heard of it, it's just some reality trash. My girlfriend was watching it last week and I was watching it opened mouth. These people are real.

It's only 3 episodes i think. It's about some transvestite singer next week, so right up your alley Aaron.

:O Slander!

Quote: Ginger Jesus @ September 27, 2007, 12:52 PM

My girlfriend was watching it last week and I was watching it opened mouth. These people are real.

Sounds like my 'relationship' with The Jeremy Kyle Show. *shakes head in dismay*

Although, I wish I was actually more surprised that people like that exist.

Not really sure if it was a comedy, a sitcom or a fly on the wall docu-soap.

It made me feel ashamed to live in Benidorm (Yes i live here) as it was completely inaccurate and showed a Benidorm which only exists in a small part of the town catering for the Brits abroad - punters who only eat chips and warm larger.

The real Benidorm is nothing like the series tried to show. It never has been all British but is mostly visited by our lovely Spanish hosts who make up 80% of the tourist population.

A definate case of Benidorm unpacked but not discovered. Where were the successful ex-pats who live here, where were the mountains, vineyards, culture and fabulous Spanish cuisine. No mention of the 5 star luxury hotels or the genuine history of tourism in the town.

Seemed to be a case of - As we are here filming anyway lets make a very cheap programme to sell to ITV as a midweek filler when the nation is nodding off.

There I have had a moan - happy now.

See a more balanced view of Benidorm at www.realbenidorm.net

That stuff just isn't considered "interesting" by the braind-dead folks who watch ITV though. (Oooo, controversial! ;))