Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 14

Was I the only one who didn't want to bang her then? :D

Wave

When we first saw her, I remember being surprised she was playing her usual smutty self, but of course she was a librarian I should have seen it coming.

Quote: zooo @ September 23, 2007, 12:37 PM

Wave

Well, yeah.

Quote: Leevil @ September 23, 2007, 12:52 PM

When we first saw her, I remember being surprised she was playing her usual smutty self, but of course she was a librarian I should have seen it coming.

Seen it coming! Boom boom!

Quote: Wout Thielemans @ September 22, 2007, 1:15 PM

Lucy: still not very likeable nor appealing. Her love for Guy (who first is thought to be gay, then owns a strip club) becomes less and less believable by the minute. And because we don't yet know enough about what makes her tick, it's hard to care about what happens to her or to be amused by her follies and imperfections. It seems that developing good female characters is the main problem with this series.

Disagree. She's not quite the same as Kate admittedly, but I like her. Either way, there is definitely room for improvement and growth.

Quote: Wout Thielemans @ September 22, 2007, 1:15 PM

Resolution of Tim/Rosie storyline was a bit too pat and not very convincing emotionally.

Agree.

Quote: Leevil @ September 23, 2007, 12:52 PM

...usual smutty self...

Usual? Who is she?

I dunno? But whenever I see her she's half naked, which ain't a bad thing.

I knew i'd seen that woman before in my dreams *starts gazing into nothingness* I mean Balls of Steel. I like her because she is using her boody for comedy purposes which means theres hope for attractive people like me :P

The replacement for thhe American woman I think is just the same character but this time shes the other way round. Annoyed at Tim most of the time then she comes round and sees what a nice bloke he is.

Also it was a good episode last friday as I only predicted about 90% of the jokes :)

Annoyed at Lee, you mean.

Yep thats what I meant, been up for too long so words are sort of merging into one big mush, only these M&Ms are keeping me awake.

Quote: Andrew Collins @ September 17, 2007, 5:15 PM

I wouldn't expect anyone who didn't like the first series to suddenly like this one

First of all, thanks for your comments on this forum Andrew. Much appreciated, and congratulations on the success of Not Going Out and being a successful comedy writer in general - I can only dream.

Just interested in the point above as there seems to be lots of changes in this series ie more characters, actors etc and I assumed this was to appeal to a wider audience but was it just a new direction to open up more storylines?

Quote: Jason Kindred @ September 20, 2007, 11:57 AM

Is Andrew Collins genuinely short, or just one of these normal sized men who look short?

Five feet eight and a half inches.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ September 25, 2007, 4:49 PM

First of all, thanks for your comments on this forum Andrew. Much appreciated, and congratulations on the success of Not Going Out and being a successful comedy writer in general - I can only dream.

Just interested in the point above as there seems to be lots of changes in this series ie more characters, actors etc and I assumed this was to appeal to a wider audience but was it just a new direction to open up more storylines?

As far as I know, there was no pressure upon us to appeal to a wider audience. The numbers for series one (around the three million mark) were sufficient to get us a second series. To be honest, if Megan hadn't bowed out, we'd have carried on with what we were doing, albeit we'd have had to develope she and Lee's relationship to avoid repetition. Her leaving gave us the opportunity to try a new lead character out, and we felt that making her explicitly unavailable (ie. going out with Guy) would stop series two just being about Lee trying to get off with Lucy. The barrier to him being with Kate in series one was Tim. The barrier in this one, with Lucy, is essentially Guy.

I note that we're up in the ratings for episode three - up to 3.4 million. That pleases me more than anything.

Thanks for all your comments. It's heartwarming that this many people take sitcom so seriously.

I think series 1 of NGO was superb--I've watched all the episodes at least twice and its premiere near a half dozen times--but series 2 has seriously tanked. First off, the introduction of Sally was beyond contrived and their competition to become the flat owner was ineptly done. Plus, why did Kate have to leave at all? She was lovable and I enjoyed the Sam & Diane secretly simmering love between her and Lee and the love/hate Tim had for his ex while Sally is icy and not that likable plus there seems to be no real love between her and her brother. I really don't care what happens to Sally's character, which makes her boring. Miranda Hart as their new maid--I enjoyed her in Hyperdrive, which was not a great show but fun to watch nonetheless--is barely one dimensional with her single joke being her domestic incompetence. Then there's Sally's new boyfriend who they think is gay but isn't and I'm sorry but why would somebody as obviously hot as Sally settle for some old geezer who owns a strip club? We've gone from the idealistic and optimistic Kate who would have been outraged at the exploitation of women to the morally indifferent Kate who doesn't care that her boyfriend is a glorified pimp. And what happened to Tim's new job every week? Now he's stuck as an ice cream man, which limits his character and the jokes to be made at his expense over his newest crap job. It feels like the show was seriously retooled after several focus groups in an effort to make something that was a hit into an even bigger success and instead they ruined what made the show great. Perhaps if I had never seen series 1 and was unaware of how great the show could be series 2 wouldn't be such a disappointment but I did and it is.

The best way they could end series 2 would be for Sally to die in a car wreck with her boyfriend after picking up the maid and then Lee, in need of much consoling, gets Kate to move back in with him rekindling the love triangle between them and Tim. It's that triangle that gave the characters an underlying sizzle and now that Tim's sister is a part of the equation that fire is out.

And nobody better disagree with me because I'm an American and if you dare do so I will have you declared an enemy combatant and renditioned to a third world prison! ;o

oh, ouch brentbent!

If you haven't seen the third episode of the new series yet do give that a go... most people seem to agree that it was the best of the series so far and a return towards what series one was like.

Quote: Aaron @ September 23, 2007, 7:13 PM

Usual? Who is she?

It's Thaila Zucchi she was in Big Brother this year, playing the 'fake Australian housemate'. She was also in Balls Of Steel (but we can forgive her for that).

I only had the chance to see the 3 episodes a couple of days ago and, all in all, was pretty disappointed.

For me the main plus points of the first series by far were the performances of Lee and Tim so the loss of Megan Dodds shouldn't have been that significant. Unfortunately though the replacements don't do anything for me at all. I've yet to find Miranda Hart funny in anything she's done and the characters of Lucy and Guy are neither amusing nor appealing.

The 3rd episode was an improvement as people have said and that's mainly because Tim and Lee played a larger role in it. Does anybody know, by the way, why Tim was hardly in episode 2? It was pretty dire anyway.

If the show does get a third series I hope that they choose to focus much more on Tim and Lee as they are the most likeable characters and the most talented performers imo.