Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 13

Yeah, crazy woman about, obsessed with bums!

Andrew, thanks for adding your comments to the thread.

For me, the first series was one of the best comedy series I'd seen in a long time - I even watched the repeats! It was fresh and new and I was mesmerised by Lee's character in particular. His delivery is so on the button. I absolutely loved the episode where he went to see the shrink - it had me in stitches!

It must have been incredibly difficult to write a second series of something so fast-paced and crammed with so many rapid-fire jokes.
Even though I don't feel the second series is 'quite' on par with the first, it's still fantastic 'Friday night in with a glass of wine' comedy.

There are bound to be people who don't find it funny - we all like different things. It doesn't matter a jot really, so long as it's pulling in the punters - and it is. I have high expectations for a third series when both the writers and actors are completely tuned into the characters. Lessons will also have been learned from the second series.

I enjoyed last night's episode and loved the writing in Tim's scene when the lapdancer was dancing for him. Loved the bit with the ice-creanm van too - when Lee opened the curtain and there was a queue of kids standing there. Brilliant.

PS, thanks to whoever wrote in the aformentioned naked bum shot - I'm not ashamed to say it was a great moment!

Last nights episode was great. I felt it got back to the more fast-paced gags. Three vivisection jokes in less than..say..a minute!

I agree with the poster above the scene with Thaila Zucchi giving Tim a lapdance was great not just because Thaila is a beautiful woman but the dialogue in that scene was brilliant, "I know that you think I'm just playing hard to get.." etc.

Still not quite sure on the Lucy character though, hopefully by the end of the series I'll have grown to like her.

Maybe if she did a lapdance, you'd get to like her?
;)

The only male character we haven't seen naked now is Tim...
Next week?

Ha, a lapdance may improve her likability yeah.

In all seriousness I think she is a decent actress but just haven't quite got use to her character yet, she doesn't seem to click as well with Lee and Tim and the style of humour, if you get me.

Good points of the episode: Tim was more in the spotlight, and used better. The chemistry between him and Lee is what makes the series special (aside from the huge amount of mainly good gags.

The ice cream van made its debut!!

Lee's character was once again shown to be more than a heartless joke-machine. I really like the moments where the vulnerability and conscience of Lee break through the cynical cover of his gags-smokescreen, like a ray of sunlight breaking through the heavy cloud cover of a dismal, deeply gray day.

The lap dance sequence was a nice contrast of words and action. A bit gimmicky, but it worked.

Personally, I like the cleaner overall, though I seem to be in a minority judging from board response. Still, I feel she's been given a few nice gags and moments throughout the season. I wouldn't miss her if she were written out, but I'm not put off by her either. Maybe a nice running gag would have been that having Miranda Hart showing up as a different but identical character in every episode (kind of Twilight Zoney - she's almost haunting Lee). Her appearance in season One was still stronger than what she's been given here, but that's because she does fake friendliness covering up steely bureaucratic resolve (see Lead Balloon as well) so well.

Bad points: the male bum. Ugh!!! Pet peeve of mine. When oh when will sitcoms finally mature enough to dare and show a female bum once in a while? (the lapdance club was the perfect opportunity for that). Equal nudity, please!! :-)

Lucy: still not very likeable nor appealing. Her love for Guy (who first is thought to be gay, then owns a strip club) becomes less and less believable by the minute. And because we don't yet know enough about what makes her tick, it's hard to care about what happens to her or to be amused by her follies and imperfections. It seems that developing good female characters is the main problem with this series.

Resolution of Tim/Rosie storyline was a bit too pat and not very convincing emotionally. And I think that comedy gold could be spun from somewhat weird and uptight accountant Tim trying to come to grips with a relationship with a lap dancer, at least for a couple of episodes. And if Lee started fancying her (most importantly, she's got really great tits), that might give rise to more interesting interpersonal conflict between the guys than the troublettes with Lucy.

So overall an enjoyable but not stellar episode.

Quote: Wout Thielemans @ September 22, 2007, 1:15 PM

Lee's character was once again shown to be more than a heartless joke-machine. I really like the moments where the vulnerability and conscience of Lee break through the cynical cover of his gags-smokescreen, like a ray of sunlight breaking through the heavy cloud cover of a dismal, deeply gray day.

Ah, the poetic beauty of le Mack.

I enjoyed the episode too. Some good jokes in there. Still feels as though all the jokes are written down first and then the other bits are written in. If the jokes were reduced and more character written in it could be really very good.

Funniest episode of the series so far. Starting to catch up with series one, I think. I didn’t notice Andrew Collins in the credits though. I think he and Lee should write all the episodes. It may not be possible, I know, but I think the series would be better if they wrote all of the episodes.

I love the humour but find I have to watch the episode a couple of times to really appreciate it. Thats the beauty of sky plus I suppose (oh and video recorders too). I really must get out more.
I also like Miranda Harts character - just wish I had someone to come and clean my house that frequently...

Stan

Best episode of the 3 so far. Some good gags, and I'm warming to Miranda Hart a bit more now.

And the lass playing Tim's girlfriend was pretty hot! ;)

Ohhhh, was that the fake aussie woman from Big Brother?

I love this comedy - and last night's episode was the best of the series so far in my opinion. Some really classy gags and a great situation. The cast seem to have finally settled down too - they didn't look nervous this week.

This and The IT Crowd are now the highlights of my week.

I never saw the all first series, but if it's meant to be better I will defintly be getting it on DVD.

This show is just fun, and funny and Lee is a really likeable character. If it started to be a bit more "cleverer" with it's plots and ideas, I could easily imagine Lee on par with Jerry Seinfeld, excpet Lee is likeable, I love Seinfeld, but he can come across as a bit of a prick sometimes :P.

Miranda is good, but she should be kept to a min. She spoke too much this week and it wasn't that funny, but I still like her presence.

I think Sally needs to play it straight, although she did seems more confident this week so good one her :P

So yeah, I liked it, you have my approval.

:P

Quote: Martin Holmes @ September 22, 2007, 12:29 PM

I agree with the poster above the scene with Thaila Zucchi giving Tim a lapdance was great not just because Thaila is a beautiful woman but the dialogue in that scene was brilliant,

Tim was in that scene!?! She had dialogue!?! Must have zoned out