Off The Hook Page 4

More of a brown-y beige, if you want to go down that route.

Laughing out loud

I was actually really disappointed by this episode. I really wanted this sitcom to work but I thought that was one of the clichéd, hole-filled episodes I've ever seen.

What was the point of them living in a different place last week? There was nothing funny about it and they wasted the first few minutes relocating before getting on with the story. I agree with Aaron that the girl wasn't that attractive in the invite-to-party scene (although she was in the party one), but what did she see in him? That seemed a bit contrived and the whole 'trying to be hip' storyline has been exhausted since the 1970s in comedy. This is episode 2 of a NEW comedy.

Also, is the point of every week that the ginger guy tells someone that the main guy can do something he can't? And then (amazingly) the guy doesn't say 'no he was lying - end of story'???

The reason why the BBC get so many uni scripts is because there are so many great and weird stories that happen at uni but so far we've had two pretty common ones here. Just my opinion, I'm glad that some people like it.

The reason (as I think Mark/Aaron pre-warned about in the show info) for the flat change was that episode 1 was a pilot, related to the prior online version of this show (Fresh). I thought that at least they explained the move (however unconvincingly) rather than just changed the set and hoped no-one would notice.

As for the point out about there being great university stories which haven't (as yet) been featured in this show, well it's early days and to be fair this is also a pre-watershed show! (As a more general point there are funny stories from real life everywhere. Translating them convincingly to the screen is another matter. Funny moments in real life often tend to have a "you had to be there" quality to them.)

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 18 2009, 9:23 AM BST

The reason (as I think Mark/Aaron pre-warned about in the show info) for the flat change was that episode 1 was a pilot, related to the prior online version of this show (Fresh). I thought that at least they explained the move (however unconvincingly) rather than just changed the set and hoped no-one would notice.

As for the point out about there being great university stories which haven't (as yet) been featured in this show, well it's early days and to be fair this is also a pre-watershed show! (As a more general point there are funny stories from real life everywhere. Translating them convincingly to the screen is another matter. Funny moments in real life often tend to have a "you had to be there" quality to them.)

(do you like using brackets?) ;)

Re: the flat change. It does explain it although as a member of the viewing public should I be expected to know that? I don't know too many shows that did that.

Agreed not all funny stories can be recreated for TV, but I think The Inbetweeners does it brilliantly and all good sitcoms do. That is the craft. And I wasn't referring to anything post-watershed. It's got a great unique selling point but I don't think it's using it. I'll watch next week to see - by the way, we'll be half way through the series by then.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ September 18 2009, 9:45 AM BST

(do you like using brackets?) ;)

(Yes.)

Quote: ContainsNuts @ September 18 2009, 9:45 AM BST

It's got a great unique selling point but I don't think it's using it.

Well this USP is going used again in the upcoming Campus, by some of the guys who did Green Wing. Perhaps that will be a better uni comedy? :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 18 2009, 9:48 AM BST

(Yes.)

(yeah me too!)

BTW, the guy from The Inbetweeners plays his role very well but I wish he'd say 'flange' at least once!

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 18 2009, 9:49 AM BST

Well this USP is going used again in the upcoming Campus, by some of the guys who did Green Wing. Perhaps that will be a better uni comedy? :)

I couldn't think of a better combination! Brilliant news! :D

Caught up with part two of this. Still a very charming show with a likeable cast. And a storyline and funny bits. Which you don't always get with these things. Certainly not bloody Lunch Monkeys, which I can't be bothered with anymore.

Not a huge number of laughs this week, but really enjoyed it. It's got a sort of 'feel good' type thing going. And very good to see the cringe-fest cut way, way back. The show really benefitted from it.

I didn't enjoy it. Everything was so contrived and predictable. Why were they showing arses in the communal areas and not a bedroom? Why arrange and leave photos in the communal area and not his bedroom? How coincidental was Scarlett being outside his window? Why did he leave the camera in the kitchen if it was so important?

The problem is when you do unrealistic set-ups you pretty much give away the payoff as your left thinking "Why are they doing it like this? Oh maybe so someone can walk in/he loses photos/she saves the day/Shaun will take images of his arse."

It just lacks imagination and when there is hardly any laughs in it then there isn't much going for it, IMO.

Quote: ContainsNuts @ September 25 2009, 4:55 PM BST

How coincidental was Scarlett being outside his window?

She was sitting outside on a sunny day. From what we've seen of the arrangement of the campus and halls, she could easily have been seen from pretty much any window there.

Although the timing of her there then was perhaps a bit set-up. But then I think we'd just seen her coming out of a lecture?

Okay this wasn't awful and it's on ina difficult time slot, but some of the storyline was a bit feeble. I know about dramatic license, but how could anyone put on a slide show without knowing what images were in it?

Most of all it's filmed at the uni I'm currently studying at and so makes me feel slightly depressed. :)

Quote: Aaron @ September 25 2009, 5:49 PM BST

She was sitting outside on a sunny day. From what we've seen of the arrangement of the campus and halls, she could easily have been seen from pretty much any window there.

I can confirm that is in fact the lay out of the campus.

It's a pity that they didn't pan up to show the incinerator chimney. :)

Just seen the first three episodes of this on BBC iPlayer (can't even remember how I found out about the thing now! Though it was useful as I'm being "persuaded" to go to Uni and I wanna know what it's like) and really enjoyed it tbh, though I wouldn't necessarily call it a comedy, can't really think of what genre I'd class it under tbh.

Looking forward to Episode 4. :)

Quote: Tom Simpson @ September 25 2009, 8:47 PM BST

Though it was useful as I'm being "persuaded" to go to Uni and I wanna know what it's like

Well, congratulations Tom, because university is exactly how it is portrayed in this sitcom. Whistling nnocently