Off The Hook

New comedy for BBC Three. Looks terrible; another wannabe Skins/Inbetweeners. Will anybody be watching?

Edited by Aaron.

Yep.

I'll probably give it a look, yes. It would be nice if BBC Three started broadcasting a few more comedies not revolving around the lives of teenagers or people in their early twenties though.

Well, Ok, they just put out We Are Klang I suppose. Kind of shot my own point in the foot there. If that's even a saying.

I will. However, I didn't really like the online clips when it was called "Fresh."

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/off_the_hook/

I've been lucky enough to see a couple of the episodes already... and it's not bad. Admittedly it's not got The Inbetweeners' level of wit or character empathy, but it is still rather enjoyable. One of the better BBC Three sitcoms of the year in my opinion.

Note: the first episode is the pilot, which is slightly different (they live in a different house for starters)... so give it a couple of weeks to warm up before passing judgement.

I saw the trailer and it didn't look completely dreadful.

Terrible title, in my opinion. Reminds me of the cretin from Big Brother a few series ago who used to say it all the time when looking at breasts or in the fridge: "Off the hook!" He actually meant to say "Off the scale" as off the hook means something completely different. I hope the title isn't just an attempt to be catchy and meaningless.

Heaven forfend! It's on BBC Three, they wouldn't try any of those shenanigans.

Looking forward to this series :)

Watched the online 'Fresh' clips which I understand are actually the first episode split.

Did enjoy, not instantly but warmed to it quickly.

I just hope it's not too similar to the uni based sitcom I have been drafting for the past year Errr I think I have a better title though. 'Off the hook' could be about anything although it does seem a bit similar to 'Saved by the bell' in my opinion

That was a lot better than I expected because I couldn't really remember much from the online clips. It wasn't laugh out loud funny but enjoyable. James Buckley & Ginger Bloke (who could become grating) were good. I liked the line "Touch my forks or I'll fork your face."

Anyway, I'd watch definetly watch it next week.

P.S. Did anyone think it looked very low budget?

It wasn't too bad, a bit awkward at times, but an easy enough watch; might get better as it goes along.

They didn't seem to quite take full advantage of some of the awkward situations they built up though. Also, the whole facial lesions thing seemed like it could have been connected up to the leper bit in some way.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ September 10 2009, 9:00 PM BST

It wasn't too bad, a bit awkward at times, but an easy enough watch; might get better as it goes along.

They didn't seem to quite take full advantage of some of the awkward situations they built up though. Also, the whole facial lesions thing seemed like it could have been connected up to the leper bit in some way.

I thought it was decent on its own but when you compare it to some of the other BBC Three comedies it was incredible.

I agree with Matthew though.

A lot of the humiliating scenarios went by too quickly and there were too many of them in the episode. They could have got a lot more mileage out of each setup if they did one a week.

After a while the humiliating things happening to the lead character lost their punch because you just thought well never mind he will get over this really quickly and move on to the next embarrassing thing soon.

Having said all that it was still pretty funny and they introduced each character really well.

Pretty good! Always pleased to see Inbetweeners boy. I hope he's in it more as the series progresses.
Also glad to hear from Mark that they will be in a different house. I know it was meant to be disgusting, but that was too unpleasnat to have to watch every week. Yuck.