Actor or actress changes

I hate it when they change actors or actress for characters in sitcoms. I am watching re-runs of Bread at the moment and Joey has just changed actor. I would rather lose a character than this happen. This used to happen loads I think, does anyone else dislike this or is it just me? Pleased Pleased

Quote: noddy @ September 17 2009, 3:19 PM BST

I am watching re-runs of Bread at the moment is it just me? Pleased Pleased

Yes.

:P

Sam Mitchell in EastEnders has changed actresses again (or changed back rather)
But her character seems to have been completely reinvented as well.

In the Dukes of Hazzard the two leads actors went on strike so they bought in a couple of lookalike scabs for a whole series to play their 'cousins from out of town.'
Luckily Bo and Luke returned with handsome rise in moonshine allowance.

I usually hate it. Unless the replacement is better. But I can't think of a time that's happened.
I do love it when the original comes back. I think Becky did in Roseanne? And Sam Mitchell. Even though she is vile. :)

I think they do it a lot with kids. Who grew too fast, and might be a bit shit when they get older and have to have more lines.

Oh yes. They did that with Martin Fowler. Was a good move. Is more understandable with kids. When it's adults, I think they should scrap the character and replace it with a new one.

When Harry Enfield left and Neil Morrissey came along (or was it Martin Clunes....) was he a whole different character?

Enfield for Morrissey, yes. And it was a new character.

Really annoys me when it's a different person though. Particularly if they look nothing alike. I'm re-watching Up Pompeii! at the moment, and Lurcio's master changes in Series 2. Not as bad a change as Becky in Roseanne, for example, but still reasonably noticeable.

Quote: noddy @ September 17 2009, 3:19 PM BST

does anyone else dislike this or is it just me? Pleased Pleased

Everybody dislikes it. It's a compromise, like abortion. It keeps the show on the air.

What are you doing watching Bread, anyway? It's beyond shite.

The change in the Rose character on Keeping Up Appearances was a good move. Rose #2 was much trampier.

In Dinnerladies the bread man Norman changed for some odd reason though they pretty much kept him to the same character with his brilliant 'I fell off a diving board in Guernsey' catchphrase.

Quote: AndreaLynne @ September 17 2009, 5:28 PM BST

The change in the Rose character on Keeping Up Appearances was a good move. Rose #2 was much trampier.

Well remembered. That's the only change I've ever approved. The first series just doesn't have as a good a dynamic as the other 4.

I used to enjoy the time displacement of Neighbours. Somebody would leave when they were like 12 and come back a year later played by a different actor and would suddenly be 17 years old.

My favourite though was when Henry (Craig McLachlan) died on the show. They mentioned him being for dead for like two weeks and then he was never mentioned again.

'Sometimes, I still miss Henry.'

'Who?'

'Yeah, f**k 'im.'

Did anyone notice that when the bloke who played Granddad in Only Fools And Horses died they replaced him with another actor (but with a beard!). They tried to cover over the cracks by calling him 'Uncle Albert'. It was blatant!!

BTW, which one do you think was better?

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 17 2009, 7:04 PM BST

BTW, which one do you think was better?

Captain Christopher Pike.