Not Going Out - Series 2 Page 9

Just to reiterate. Are comedies programmes that make us laugh, or make you laugh, Dave?

Quote: zooo @ September 10, 2007, 5:47 PM

Just to reiterate. Are comedies programmes that make us laugh, or make you laugh, Dave?

So, you're actually defending Not Going Out? Are you also putting it in the same class as the sitcoms I mentioned? If you are, I can only offer one valuable piece of advice: Seek help.

Dave, don't start that.

:)
Not Going Out makes me laugh. It's as simple as that.

What also makes me laugh a little bit is that anyone genuinely thinks 8 Simple Rules is in some class above.

Still, if it makes you laugh, then go ahead and enjoy. Which is my point.

Blimey. An age since I've been on here.

For what its worth IMHO, I think the first episode was good but not brilliant. It was always going to be difficult with new characters and having to re-write the storyline. It had some good moments but was more like a get to know you session.

Not sure about Miranda Hart's character though and agree with the earlier post about the door falling off. Too OTT.

I liked the first series so its worth sticking with.

Quote: Dave @ September 10, 2007, 5:55 PM

So, you're actually defending Not Going Out? Are you also putting it in the same class as the sitcoms I mentioned? If you are, I can only offer one valuable piece of advice: Seek help.

Yes, we are. And as we've stated, it was by no means the best. Probably, if we're honest, the worst of the 8 (?) which have been broadcast to date. Don't judge the show so harshly on just one episode, especially when the show's fans aren't screaming about how brilliant it was...

Quote: Mark @ September 10, 2007, 4:34 PM

They've had the least time to prepare that episode (the filming of it was brought forward)

The original creators didn't collaborate on this episode (Andrew Collins and Lee Mack came back together to write this week's episode onwards - Simon Evans, Paul Kerensa and Peter Tilbury wrote the first).

That's the first time the cast have all worked together in front of a live studio audience.

Thanks Mark, I hadn't realised any of the above. I didn't think things flowed
like they usually do, and your points go a long way to explaining why. I'm not surprised to hear Andrew and Lee didn't write the first episode.

I like how Less Than Perfect and 8 Simple Rules, two shows i have watched extensively and have yet to find a single good episode, was listed in sitcoms that are better than Not Going Out when the worst episode (the first of this new series) had more laughs in it than an entire season of the other two. Then again that's my opinion.

8 Simple Rules can have Not Going Out for breakfast and still have enough left over for elevenses!

And I bet I laugh more at 8 Simple Rules than you do at Not Going Out!

It seems you're scared of a sitcom that actually has jokes in it. In a time where cringeworthy and awkward humour is dominating most "comedy" it's good to see a sitcom that is packed with gags. I don't agree with others that say "the jokes are meant to be crap", they aren't, they gags are funny, classics like Police Squad were packed with jokes like that and it's what makes the show great.

This first episode of seires 2 was a bit off I agree, it will take a little while to get use to the new cast and Miranda Hart is terrible but it still made me laugh more than most new comedy.

Yeah ditto Martin, although I quite liked Miranda for once, normally I think she only gets on stuff because of her looks, as in, she's weird looking, lol.

I must've been really in the mood to watch this, but I really enjoyed it, I just thought Sally Bretton was pretty poor a delivering those type of lines, but she's good in The Office and Green Wing.

Quote: Dave @ September 10, 2007, 9:02 PM

And I bet I laugh more at 8 Simple Rules than you do at Not Going Out!

Laughing out loud
Now we've got that argument out of the way, let's move on to the much more important: who stole my crayons, and when is naptime?

*giggles*

Does anyone know why Megan Dodds is no longer in the programme? Did she not want to be in a second series or was she no longer wanted?

Cheers

Stan

She was unavailable due to other filming commitments.

(Oh, and hello Stan! :))