Female friendly panel game Page 5

Quote: Tim Walker @ September 1 2009, 12:16 AM BST

Isn't Loose Women basically a female friendly panel game, just without (official) point-scoring? That's surely enough for the girlies - slagging off men's willies and whatnot - what more do they want?

Intelligent, informed and funny women on the 'panel' for a change? :)

Just an Hour

Out of interest, who would BCG members nominate as panellists for an all-female panel game?

Years ago Peter Cook and Dudley Moore came up with an idea for an innovative show with a strong focus on women. Admittedly not a panel show, but still:

CLIVE: Really, yeah. And, er, the wife is still on about me being a celebrity, you know, and, er, ..... she was on, er, she was on, erm, 'Blow Your Tits Up' and .....

DEREK: (laughs aloud)

CLIVE: (sniggers) She was on this, er, new game called 'Blow Your Tits Up' .....

DEREK: Yeah.

CLIVE: ..... in which, er, celebrities such as Anthony Newley and Bruce Forsyth attach explosives to women's tits and, erm, the tits that go highest in the air .....

DEREK: (still laughing)

CLIVE: ..... win the biggest prizes. But Dolly said, er, she couldn't stand that and, er, .....

DEREK: (coughs)

CLIVE: ..... I respected-, I respected her views.

Quote: Timbo @ September 1 2009, 10:32 AM BST

Out of interest, who would BCG members nominate as panellists for an all-female panel game?

That is an excellent question Timbo. It's easy to name the obvious name who've been around for a long time - Jo Brand, Sue Perkins, etc. but coming up with any newbies has left me dumbfounded.

Oh well, I'll put forward Jennifer Saunders as host - she's extremely funny and carries an air of authority that should keep the rabble in line.

I found this list if it helps - http://www.comedycv.co.uk/female-comedians.htm

Quote: Timbo @ September 1 2009, 10:32 AM BST

Definitely Dame Edna and Jo Brand. And maybe Joan Rivers.

A good team would be Sue Perkins who is fast, the quick witted Sally Phillips and Ronnie Ancona who is extremely knowledgeable.

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ August 31 2009, 8:05 PM BST

I honestly don't know who these 'women' people are describing are. Maybe females who have been through a single sex education system are different, but my peers and I aren't like this stereo-type of shoe and chocolate obsessed, weepy wimps.

Yes, I can't say I've ever met a woman close to what's being described here.

I mean, really, news and current affairs and music, et al, are gender neutral areas... If you want to make comments about shoes and cat-fighting, the comparison would be better suited to tools and competitive dick-size analogueies.

I'd argue that what may be alienating women with the format of British panel shows, is that there is rarely more than token female representation.

In Australia, there are almost an excessive number of panel shows and they strike me as far more inclusive. For instance,we have two NMTB-alikes, one with a straight male host but a gay man and a woman as team captains, one with a female host and no team captains.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 1 2009, 12:00 PM BST

Definitely Dame Edna and Jo Brand. And maybe Joan Rivers.

I'd go for Dame Edna, Lily Savage & Pauline Calf

Whistling nnocently

Quote: Steve Sunshine @ September 2 2009, 10:56 AM BST

I'd go for Dame Edna, Lily Savage & Pauline Calf

Whistling nnocently

Laughing out loud Laughing out loud

So I've heard!

Quote: Pancake @ September 2 2009, 10:09 AM BST

I'd argue that what may be alienating women with the format of British panel shows, is that there is rarely more than token female representation.

I'm sorry - I'm not being sexist but there genuinely aren't that many good commediennes.

And some of them play on the dizzy girlie type anyway.

Quote: Pancake @ September 2 2009, 10:09 AM BST

In Australia, there are almost an excessive number of panel shows and they strike me as far more inclusive. For instance,we have two NMTB-alikes, one with a straight male host but a gay man and a woman as team captains, one with a female host and no team captains.

NMTB?

And if you're splitting between male and female where does the gay man stand?

Quote: Chappers @ September 2 2009, 11:54 AM BST

Behind you.

NMTB?

Never Mind the Buzzcocks. One of the Aussie versions (with the queer, the bird and the straight but one-legged presenter) is called Spicks and Specks, the other (with the female presenter) is called RocKwiz. Spicks and Specks, although not about Mexicans wearing glasses, is watchable. RocKwiz is tiresome. Australia also has a horrible rip-off of HIGNFY, called Good News Week, presented by a human.

He stands, or sits I think, to the right (camera left) of the one-legged straight presenter.

Quote: Kenneth @ September 2 2009, 12:12 PM BST

He stands, or sits I think, to the right (camera left) of the one-legged straight presenter.

He's been on a couple of our shows I think.

Sorry about the NMTB. Brain's not working today - well not to it's usual standard anyway.

Hold on, though, what's it about? It's got to be about something that women are interested in, and the panellists would presumably be 'names' from that world. If I had to think of something that women are into, how about celebrity? But surely that's been done already.

Obviously, I've made a lot of sexist comments on this thread, almost all exclusively in jest. But it has brought up a number of issues and I think, like a lot of blokes, a female friendly panel show sounds good in theory, but will it actually deliver on the laughs? Or will it just be Loose Women part 2?

As for my comments about those women that no other woman has ever met (alledgely), just watch Loose Women and the bitchiness, periods, babies, etc. comes flying out of their holes on a regular basis. So either these women exist or Loose Women is a totally ficticious programme, the women are all actresses and their lines are written by sexist men.

Hopefully, following the success of a female friendly panel show, we could have gay friendly panel shows, handicap friendly panel shows, Asian friendly panel shows, enviromentally friendly panel shows, etc. They won't be any good or funny, but hey, at least everyone is represented in an affirmative action type way.

So, you go girls! (At least for one series, when the audience realises that the show isn't funny and it gets subsequently cancelled).

P.S. Anyone remember the Girly Show? All female programming at it's finest.