Books about sitcom

Hi, I want to ask you - is there some (really good) book about history of sitcom, rules of sitcom etc.? I am writing some essay about this genre and all i have found about it are books "How to write sitcom." I will be glad for any help.

Well, those books can certainly provide a good starting ground, as they do tend to outline history of sitcom, and attempt to try and explain the "rules" of how sitcom works. For true history though, there have been a number of television documentaries exploring the matter over the past few years, so if possible it may be worth trying to hunt copies of those down.

You should get hold of a copy of the RadioTimes Guide to TV Comedy by Mark Lewisohn, which contains entries on made-for-TV comedy programmes aired on British TV from the 1930s through to 2003. A really good read.

Yes, that was my initial reaction. I'm not sure it's so much a history in the way that Otokar wants though? Either way, a very good read it is. (And of course available online.) :)

Quote: Aaron @ October 30, 2006, 9:24 PM

I'm not sure it's so much a history in the way that Otokar wants though?

Agreed, not exactly what he is looking for, but a useful source of reference if you're writing an essay on the subject. If there is a 'history of the British sitcom' book, I've yet to come across it.

Sounds like a plan to me...!

Thanks guys. I've already found a book which apears to be suitable for me, name is
Great Brit-coms : British television situation comedy by G.Koseluk, hope it is good book (I've found it on amazon.com and there are only few senteces about it, so I'll see after I pay... :-( ).Also I've found some american books about sitcom (Mary M. Dalton, The Sitcom Reader: America Viewed And Skewed and Brett Mills Television Sitcom), hope they will be usefull.
I have another question - is in UK some good sitcom which is set in pub only? I want to compare some czech sitcoms with britcoms and there are just two kinds of sitcoms in Czech Republic - sitcoms in pub and family sitcom (btw - what is the best recent britcom about family?), and I don't know any british sitcom set in pub. Thanks for help.

The best, certainly most successful, recent Britcom about family is My Family.
In regards to pub-based sitcoms, there have been a few. Early Doors is the most recent, and mainstream, example which I can think of. The main one which springs to mind is the more obscure Time Gentlemen Please, though. Very funny.

Hope that that helps a bit.

Yes, it did help, thanks. I've heard about My Family before, but never seeen it. Now I did and it's quite good, really. I'm looking forward to see Time Gentlemen Please.
(btw. - in case you'll find some good books about sitcom history please let me know. Thanks)

Another sitcom set in a pub (albeit only ran for three series) is the 70's sitcom Not On You Nellie.

Quote: Otokar @ November 1, 2006, 8:21 PM

I'm looking forward to see Time Gentlemen Please.

A Time Gentlemen Please showreel can be watched here

I'm cheeky, me!

Writing Dialogue for Scripts by Rib Davis ISBN 0-7136-4802-3 published by A&C Black, London, is one of my favorites for general script writing ... Chapter 10 deals with comedy specifically ... but all the rest of the book is very informative too in my opinion.
Mike

Hi Otokar, I found that 'Television Sitcom' by Brett Mills ISBN-10: 1844570886 is really interesting and modern. Have a look on Amazon and read the reviews.