We Are Klang Page 15

I can see a certain similarity, but not enough to comment on. But surely he's more the tall Rik Mayall than the fat one?

I would agree.

And he doesn't remind me of Rik Mayall in The Inbetweeners, just when he's being a bit comic book and extreme in Klang.

Another fun episode this week. The one thing which continues to bug me though is the appalling sound mixing and editing. One of the most pathetic plots I've ever seen in a "sitcom", but they get away with it through sheer charm.

Quote: Tim Walker @ August 16 2009, 6:15 PM BST

The one thing which continues to bug me though is the appalling sound mixing and editing.

That really is quite horrendous. The laughter in particular is still far too loud, tinny and distorted. I really do hope that they re-mix it for the inevitable DVD release.

I finally saw the first episode of We Are Klang. I thought it was really funny. It has some jokes though that made me groan but a lot of their subtle stuff is what I thought funniest.
I laughed the hardest when the mayor asked "who has been leaking stories to the press?" and the dumb bald guy says "I couldn't help it they gave me sweeties" and pulls out a bag of potatoes and takes a bit out of one of them.

Looking forward to tonight. It's crap but you could still read about me in the paper tomorrow as the man who died from heart failure laughing at it. (Don't know if anyone here knows, but that happened to a man watching The Goodies.)

Can't wait for the DVD either.

Quote: Aaron @ August 16 2009, 1:58 PM BST

I can see a certain similarity, but not enough to comment on. But surely he's more the tall Rik Mayall than the fat one?

Fat is always funnier than tall, so tall gets ignored, which is why you never hear "I'm not saying my mother-in-law is tall...etc"

Best show of the series so far tonight, I thought. The "play" bit was so live act it really shouldn't have worked on telly, but did. Finding this show to be my regular happy little haven of silliness every week.

Still lovin' the Klang. I am. The Klang. I am.

Really enjoyed the episode again, and glad they embraced the Goodies connection with the awesome pantomime cow scene. They're not afraid to take a joke to it's ultimate silly conclusion and I love it. Still feel like the endings are weak, again it felt very much like "oh no, not again! Quick, wrap it up!!" Still thought it was ace though.

Then again I thought that song was a great way to finish the show. If I was that bothered about plot (in this type of comedy) I wouldn't be watching this show at all.

It is the funniest thing I've seen on TV for a long time. Daft. Yes. Often goes for the easy laugh. Yes. But I love the Dept of Audience (brilliant idea if not unique as I've already Graham Norton for one do similar). The pantomime cow sequence had me pissing myself as did the worst Hungarian accent I've ever heard. The thing is they could have gone out and got a proper actor to do it. Ne'er f**k it, that'll do. Excellent stuff. I want a We Are Klang t-shirt and I want it now!

Quote: Nogget @ August 20 2009, 3:09 PM BST

Fat is always funnier than tall, so tall gets ignored, which is why you never hear "I'm not saying my mother-in-law is tall...etc"

Well calling him the "fat Rik Mayall" isn't funny, and just looking at him it clearly isn't true, so what's the point?

Greg Davies is a nice fella :)

Quote: Aaron @ August 24 2009, 9:15 PM BST

Well calling him the "fat Rik Mayall" isn't funny, and just looking at him it clearly isn't true, so what's the point?

There's nothing like deconstructing comedy to kill all the humour in it, but here goes anyway.
Klang seem to be one step ahead of the audience, predicting that initially we will see them in terms of other, better-known comedians. When they tell us what they themselves look like, they are parodying our opinions. They know that we might think that Greg Davies looks like an over-sized Rik Mayall, and so they make fun of our view of him.

Of course, you don't see him as fat, but that doesn't matter, they aren't saying he is actually fat, they are just saying something which lampoons the typical audience reaction.