Funniest British films? Page 5

Quote: johnny roulette @ September 1, 2007, 11:50 PM

i watched LIFE OF BRIAN with my kids last night. they are 3 and 7 - and they both pissed themselves all the way through.

I loved it when I was a kid too!
Although there are a few bits in all the Monty Python films that are a bit disturbing and scary (to me at least), but in a very good way.

On that note :) I think the first naked dude I ever saw on TV was Graham Chapman, when he opened the shutters to find all his followers staring at him.
Ace.

Quote: Leevil @ September 1, 2007, 11:36 PM

Poor coding ;)

Lies. Crappy browser, more like.

Quote: zooo @ September 2, 2007, 12:26 AM

On that note :) I think the first naked dude I ever saw on TV was Graham Chapman, when he opened the shutters to find all his followers staring at him.
Ace.

YOU'RE ALL DIFFERENT!
Yes. We're all different.
... I'm not.

Brilliant scene, that.

Quote: johnny roulette @ September 1, 2007, 11:50 PM

i watched LIFE OF BRIAN with my kids last night. they are 3 and 7 - and they both pissed themselves all the way through.

in my view it is the finest comedy film ever made.
slightly off topic - i would recommend ANCHORMAN - THE LEGEND OF RON BURGUNDY - as my favourite american comedy film.

"I LOVE LAMP!"

Thanks Lee.

Quote: Aaron @ August 31, 2007, 7:48 PM

I would say that people who believe that LoB is blasphemy either haven't watched the film properly, or don't understand what blasphemy actually is. If there is one thing that LoB isn't, it's blasphemous.

I totaly agree Aaron.

Quote: Dave @ September 1, 2007, 5:50 PM

Blasphemy is taking God's name in vain or mocking him in any way.

Oh God!

I am now going to watch Life of Brian.
It is all your fault everyone. No roast for the family now or anything.

Well, I think the Pythons are comedy cowards for not making "The life of Abdul" See how long before Palin starts off around the world again after that?

For me religion does not equate to God. You can be religious as an atheist, because the concept of 'religion' is not strictly tied to a belief in a spiritual being or God but more to the person's underlying 'belief system'. It can even apply to a system of action that the holder repeatedly performs. Genuflecting or touching a door knob three times or walking the same route everyday can be described as religious. Likewise a belief in God doesn't necessarily have to encompass a recognised religion or recognise all its particular tenets and doctrines. The formula Religion = God is not in my mind true, nor is it linguistically true because the word 'religion' is being used in one particularly restrictive use of the word.

I agree with Dave that if he perceives something as blasphemous then no amount of cajooling can persuade him otherwise, and it's silly to think that we can pin something as complex as a belief system to simply 'yes / no' responses. Belief systems are adept at decieving the holder (and this applies to all people of all persuasions) because belief systems aren't based purely on fact but on how a person chooses to INTERPRET fact. Once you hit the process of interpretation, then you're all on your own up a certain creek along with me. We see the world as we CHOOSE to see it. Even the coldest intellectual is not free from this disease of the mind. For the person, that's comforting because then very little contradiction is allowed to seep through to challenge and amend our patterns of thought. It seems belief systems and people exist in a symbiotic relationship.

I tend to agree with the counter-argument in that there is a distinction made between Christ / Brian, however it does wear pretty thin when it mirrors Jesus' life in such detail, the crucifiction scene especially. Would we laugh so much if Brian was hit down by a chariot and died? IMO, not really because here it's the parallel that the ending relies on. It seems it's more a parody than true comedy.

As I said above, let's see Python do a 'Life of Abdul' and see how long before they join poor Mr Chapman. I don't think they'll be debating the fine line between blasphemy and parody after the premiere.

Think of Mister Rushdie, well within his rights to practice free speech in THIS country and on the run in THIS country because his free speech is held to be blasphemous in someone else's country. That's where we should be jumping up and down and protesting at. We need freedom of speech in ALL areas not content ourselves with the easy target and believe that's the real deal.

Back to the thread:
The Steptoe films weren't bad. And Meaning of Life was good too although the sketch format broke any real emotional voyage or payoff at the close.

My problem with Dave's writing off of "Life of Brian" was that he denounced it as "Feature-length blasphemy" without any justification of that position. If he had said "I find it personally offensive to my interpretation of the Jesus story", it would have been another matter entirely. Of course people are allowed to interpret anything in anyway they like, but if they don't tell you that they're interpreting, how can you tell?
Strangely, he never mentioned the crucifixion scene which I would have thought a Christian would have got into a right state about.

Films:
Monty Python's Life of Brian (funnily enough)
Dr. Strangelove
The Tall Guy
The Lavender Hill Mob
Vera Drake (that's a joke)

Quote: theox1971 @ September 3, 2007, 8:02 AM

Dr. Strangelove

Yes, to that.

Vera Drake (that's a joke)

Is this that dodgey sequel written by Jim Abrahams?

My problem with Dave's writing off of "Life of Brian" was that he denounced it as "Feature-length blasphemy" without any justification of that position. If he had said "I find it personally offensive to my interpretation of the Jesus story", it would have been another matter entirely. Of course people are allowed to interpret anything in anyway they like, but if they don't tell you that they're interpreting, how can you tell?
Strangely, he never mentioned the crucifixion scene which I would have thought a Christian would have got into a right state about.

Atheists have as much right to enjoy blasphemy as the religious do, to not.

Quote: Charley @ September 3, 2007, 4:30 PM

I wish the governments of the 'free' West also thought that, Charley. Then we wouldn't have been fawning and apologising for a dozen silly cartoons printed in another country.

**warning - lame blasphemous joke below - the warning is for the feact that it's lame, not really for the fact that it's blasphemous.**

I'm in support of total freedom of speech, I'm ready to except the consequences of that, even when faced with something I don't agree with. But I also think it should be an option to hear this stuff, as in, you should have to look for it, rather then have it slapped it your face.

How dare you insult my powerful all mighty god?! He very sensitive you know.

Quote: Charley @ September 3, 2007, 4:30 PM

I so so so agree.

Well, that's another storm in a tea cup all sorted out then! :)