Funniest British films?

Not sure if we've discussed this before, but I'm wondering what other BSGers think the three funniest British films of all time are? For me, at this moment in time, it's:

1. Monty Python and The Holy Grail.
2. The Lavender Hill Mob.
3. Shaun of The Dead.

I would add life of brian as well.

Life Of Brian tops the list.
Full Monty was nice as well.

How are we defining 'British' films? Made in Britain? British stories? British studios? British cast, setting, writers...?

Anyway. Python et al are obvious choices of course. H2G2 obviously not. I don't really watch films though, so it'll require a bit more thought. (Or, more likely, I'll just wait and see what everyone else says and gain inspiration. ;))

Screw it Notting Hill, Four Weddings and Love Actuall are all good and all Richard Curtis. I say Hot Fuzz just because Shaun is up there.

Four Weddings is actually good, I agree.
Even Bridget Jones is good. Not the second one though.

I love the part in Bridget Jones I'll paraphrase "Its a fight, its a real fight", that one line made me laugh so much. Didn't care for either really.
About A Boy how could I forget the best rom com ever (in my opinion).

Only the rom is between a man and a boy.
Aw.

I like that one too.

I just think it's done right writing, acting, directing, editing, music etc.

Quote: zooo @ August 28, 2007, 7:21 PM

Even Bridget Jones is good. Not the second one though.

Good point! I don't know why, but I do like those. The second less, obviously.

Quote: zooo's brain @ August 28, 2007, 7:28 PM

Only the rom is between a man and a boy. ... Why weren't they naked?

And horny?

:(

What a disturbing thought.

Actually, if it was Nicholas Hault now and Hugh Grant you'd be on to a winner.

The Lady Killers.
Kind Hearts and Coronets.
And probably something starring the mighty Terry Thomas, such as School for Scoundrels.

Sorry they're all old films, but I find the Best British comedy films tend to date back to when we actually had a film industry. I'm not quite sure what we've got now, but industry it aint.

Oooh! How could I forget? The Carry Ons. Funniest series at least!

There's not that many hilarious British comedy films.

Wanda: Rubbish.
Withnail and I: Rubbish
Life of Brian: Rubbish
Bridget Jones: Rubbish
Four Weddings: Rubbish

I prefer the old Ealing comedies. The League of Gentlemen, The Lavander Hill Mob, Two Way Stretch etc

Although I did enjoy Hot Fuzz, I didn't find it laugh out loud funny. More amusing. And thank goodness I've seen Midsummer Murders because that's almost comes hand in hand with the entrance fee: You have to see Midsummer Murders to actually get Hot Fuzz.

Harsh judgement there Dave. Do you like many comedies at all?