Psychoville - Series 1 Page 31

Annoyed by them saying it was available on Red Button - I thought it was an odd thing to do so nothing lost, but it was irritating to think it was going out and I couldn't find it...

Anyway, the episode was good, but there are still a lot of questions that I hope will be answered next week. Although I suspect they won't and we'll be left with some minor plot holes instead, like how did the letter writer know about the crocodile and how to contact the boy to buy it?

I think they either needed some serious pruning to the scripts or maybe another couple of episodes - we missed the whole section of Joy gathering Freddy up and getting out of the house without the husband knowing, and seemingly the other nurse had time to change, get to the hospital and start her shift whilst Joy went to A&E.

The whole story about Joy, and the Lomax one too, seem to be fairly independent - nothing much to do with the letters or the letter writer either. It seems total coincidence that Joy is at the old hospital when the others are arriving. I hope it all makes sense next week, rather than just looking a bit contrived.

Apparently there's gonna be a 2nd series. Don't know why though. They're all going to the hospital and we know they killed that old lady. Dunno what other mysteries there are.

Apart from how the dwarf guy will get there.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ July 24 2009, 7:47 PM BST

Anyway, the episode was good, but there are still a lot of questions which I hope will be answered next week. Although I suspect they won't and we'll be left with some minor plot holes instead, like how did the letter writer know about the crocodile and how to contact the boy to buy it?

You don't have to see everything, you can draw your own conclusions.

We can assume the letter writer knew about the toy obsession, that Lomax was after this one toy, and tracked it down the same way as him and the conjoined twins. Only instead of going through the parents, he went to the boy. That's not a plot hole, it's just something you can put together yourself.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ July 24 2009, 7:47 PM BST

The whole story about Joy, and the Lomax one too, seem to be fairly independant - nothing much to do with the letters or the letter writer either.

Neither really is the bulk of the Sowerbutts story. The central mystery is just sort of circling the characters rather than being the driving force behind each story. The only story that is really all about the letters and the mystery of who's sending them and why, is the Mr Jelly strand.

I've found this series has really suffered for the terrible performances of some of principal characters. In order of terribleness ( from worst to least worst) 1. The main dwarf bloke 2. The dwarf girl with special powers 3. The Twins 4. The black lad 5. Snow White (The one from Man Stroke Woman). It's had its moments but hasn't got anywhere near the atmosphere, laughs or general watchability of League of Gentlemen series 1 and 2.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 24 2009, 8:45 PM BST

You don't have to see everything, you can draw your own conclusions.

We can assume the letter writer knew about the toy obsession, that Lomax was after this one toy, and tracked it down the same way as him and the conjoined twins. Only instead of going through the parents, he went to the boy. That's not a plot hole, it's just something you can put together yourself.

Neither really is the bulk of the Sowerbutts story. The central mystery is just sort of circling the characters rather than being the driving force behind each story. The only story that is really all about the letters and the mystery of who's sending them and why, is the Mr Jelly strand.

There's an awful lot of assuming and conclusion-drawing to be done by the viewer though. An anonymous eBay auction takes place, is pulled at the last minute with two bidders, a 3rd bidder emails/phones/sidles upto the son of the seller with presumably no address details...? Why did the kid decide to sell to the letter writer and not the others anyway?

The Sowerbutts' story only started when Maureen received a letter and believed David was being blackmailed over the 'bad murder'; it all sort of stemmed from there. Joy received some post and shoved it in her pocket - her husband and the other nurse have caused the rest for other reasons.

I think you shouldn't really be watching it like it's an episode of Cracker. The eBay sisters have Lomax's EYES for God's sake!

Haha that fine though - it fits in with the weirdness. Plot holes are irritating whatever the show. There weren't any in the League and that was often quite convoluted.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ July 25 2009, 12:33 AM BST

There's an awful lot of assuming and conclusion-drawing to be done by the viewer though.

It's letting you work a bit rather than spoon feeding you everything. No bad thing in my book, I've had no problems putting the pieces together. Nothing so far makes no sense, you can come to your own conclusions. I don't see that as a bad thing.

Quote: Maurice Minor @ July 25 2009, 12:33 AM BST

There's an awful lot of assuming and conclusion-drawing to be done by the viewer though.

And I wouldn't say an awful lot, just one or two little bits.

I all also presume the characters use the loo without having to see it.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ July 25 2009, 2:32 PM BST

It's letting you work a bit rather than spoon feeding you everything. No bad thing in my book, I've had no problems putting the pieces together. Nothing so far makes no sense, you can come to your own conclusions. I don't see that as a bad thing.

I agree, a bit of mystery is fine by me. Furthermore, even if they do leave a few things not tied up in the end, you can still enjoy getting there; although of course a satisfying conclusion is a great thing.
On a related note, I enjoy Lost a great deal, even though I can't believe the writers will tie up all those loose ends.

Quote: NoggetFred @ July 25 2009, 4:32 PM BST

I agree, a bit of mystery is fine by me. Furthermore, even if they do leave a few things not tied up in the end, you can still enjoy getting there; although of course a satisfying conclusion is a great thing.
On a related note, I enjoy Lost a great deal, even though I can't believe the writers will tie up all those loose ends.

I read an interview with the Lost executive producers and they admitted not everything will be answered. Angry

Quote: AndreaLynne @ July 25 2009, 4:38 PM BST

I read an interview with the Lost executive producers and they admitted not everything will be answered. Angry

I think that is a tacit (and somewhat redundant and obvious) admission that they've been making up vast chunks of the ultimate storyline, as they go along.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 25 2009, 5:45 PM BST

I think that is a tacit (and somewhat redundant and obvious) admission that they've been making up vast chunks of the ultimate storyline, as they go along.

As long as they don't go back to the crap that was Series 3, all will be well.

(Back on topic...)

I don't know if anyone else has seen the 'trailer' for the DVD on the HMV website but there are a couple of clips which I'm assuming are from next week's final episode as I don't recognise them. Oh, and the way they've integrated the song from Episode 4 is genius.

HMV Video

Any thoughts on what we learn?

Who was Robert's co-star in "Whore White and the Seven Dicks"?