The A-Z of strikers... Page 2

Good job I didn't say he'd only play with Cole...

Danny Baker did this thing on Radio5Live recently where he wanted people to call in whose names were nearly - but not quite - the same as famous footballers. One person said his mother's maiden name was Jane Vennegoor of Hesselink.

I suspect he was telling porkies. :D

I think Darren Bent's come on a lot this season, he may frustrate, but he's a good target man and I think he would give more to United than Owen.

Quote: Tuumble @ July 7 2009, 11:24 PM BST

Laughing out loud

Back on topic, you're not seriously saying Owen is 64th on list Jack? OK, he's had his injuries but he's better than Darren Bent for a kick-off and a good 15-20 of those listed are well past it so they're hardly lightning quick.

Trezeguet is 32 this year and has played only eight times all season in all competitions scoring one goal. Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink hasn't even got a club having been released by Celtic and his record of 10 goals in 34 games last term isn't good enough for either of the big two in Scotland.

Name me the fifteen strikers on my list you think he is better than and I will tell you how he isn't.

Strikers I would rather have Owen than (notwithstanding the price, or the fact that he has obviously been bought as a Solskjaer type goalscoring sub), but I am taking goalscoring into account - so, I like Davies, but he's out on the basis of his career goalscoring.

DEAN ASHTON
MARIO BALOTELLI-BARWUAH
DARREN BENT
JOHN CAREW
KEVIN DAVIES
ALESSANDRO DEL PIERRO
LANDON DONAVAN
DIDIER DROGBA
E Strikers
SYLVAIN EBANKS-BLAKE
LUIS FABIANO
MARIO GOMEZ
GUIZA
EMILE HESKEY
GONZALO HIGUAIN
FELLIPO INZAGHI
KENWYNE JONES
SALOMAN KALOU
FREDDIE KANOUTE
DIRK KUYT
LISANDRO LOPEZ
OBEFEMI MARTINS
SCOTT McDONALD
ROMAN PAVLYUCHENKO
RAUL
LOUIS SAHA
FRANCESCO TOTTI
DAVID TREZEGUET
TUNCAY
RUUD VAN NISTELROOY
JAN VENNEGOR OF HESSELINK
YAKUBU
AMIR ZAKI

That being said, I did get a bit confused at times so might have deleted off the wrong names, or kept someone in as better than Owen by mistake. So, don't trust it copmpletely. I've also kept in people I don't know very much about. You've also got to keep it in context. I'm happy to make an assumption that Fergie'd prefer Torres to Owen if they were the same price, but they're not.

Oh I know that, it is impossible to get Torres. If he wanted an oldish striker, he should of gone for Miroslav Klose. A much better striker who they could have got for about £12 Million.

Owen to get 12 goals (14 if things go really well), a lot from the bench.

There's my prediction.

Well seen as Berbatov was a regular starter and he only got fourteen, I'm backing him for eight goals tops.

Well it's just great to see all these world class players turning them down.

Like Alan Shearer did - twice!

Whatever happened to Glenn Helder?

Crikey! Just Googled...

http://netherlands.worldcupblog.org/1/former-oranje-player-glenn-helder-institutionalized.html

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 8 2009, 12:22 PM BST

Name me the fifteen strikers on my list you think he is better than and I will tell you how he isn't.

Ha! Well, that would be a pointless exercise as you've already decided I will be wrong. ;)

Football is all about opinion anyway but I still can't see how Owen is worse than all 64 players you listed. He'll get double figures for you I'm sure - I reckon you'll be pleasantly surprised so I look forward to ressurecting this thread next year.

SO WILL I. >_<

I think Owen's gonna have a great season with the service he will no doubt get at Man U. Yes, he's been injury prone but his record when he does play is still pretty impressive. I loved having Owen at Newcastle and just wish we'd had a more creative midfield who could have helped him to shine. As a season ticket holder, I saw every home game and whenever he played he played with determination and passion despite what others may say. I can't fault the guy. All these people who are happy to jump on the bandwagon that the media have created in order to sell papers and fill 24 hour news programmes piss me right off! You know who you are! Such a shame that people can't form their own opinions. Instead of judging him before he's even played a game for you, why not wait and see how he performs. If he doesn't perform, then you can get on his back, until then you're just whineing on looking for excuses before the season even starts just in case your team trips up-pathetic!

Quote: Quentin @ July 10 2009, 3:42 PM BST

I think Owen's gonna have a great season with the service he will no doubt get at Man U. Yes, he's been injury prone but his record when he does play is still pretty impressive. I loved having Owen at Newcastle and just wish we'd had a more creative midfield who could have helped him to shine. As a season ticket holder, I saw every home game and whenever he played he played with determination and passion despite what others may say. I can't fault the guy. All these people who are happy to jump on the bandwagon that the media have created in order to sell papers and fill 24 hour news programmes piss me right off! You know who you are! Such a shame that people can't form their own opinions. Instead of judging him before he's even played a game for you, why not wait and see how he performs. If he doesn't perform, then you can get on his back, until then you're just whineing on looking for excuses before the season even starts just in case your team trips up-pathetic!

Because they can't attract any big money signings and pay over the odds to Wigan you mean?

Well, I'm sure United will bring in a £30 Million striker.