Not a good day in the North East Page 5

Choice words Neil.

Quote: Tim Walker @ July 7 2009, 9:41 AM BST

it really is disgraceful how brilliantly-loyal and cheerful Newcastle fans have been treated over the years. You deserve better (and I truly mean that). :)

Hmmm, I'll let you off then.

Good to see a fellow Mag on the forums. Do you know any other Black n' Whites around these parts?

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 7 2009, 12:05 PM BST

Good to see a fellow Mag on the forums. Do you know any other Black n' Whites around these parts?

This chap pops up on the forums every now and again: Teary

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 7 2009, 9:08 AM BST

Even Andy f**king Cole managed 40-odd one season. :P

Yeah, but look at the players he had around him.

And he wasn't injured constantly.

I suppose Cole had Beardo, Lee, Ned Kelly, Gav Peacock et al around him and was unplayable for the first year or two with us, but ultimately was never as prolific at Man Utd. Sir Les was superior.

Didn't Cole have Beardsley alongside him that season? He (Beardsley) was a massive hero of mine, when I was a kid. I even secretly idolised him when he was at Liverpool, before he moved to Everton. He was so unselfish, and created so many scoring opportunities for people like Lineker, Aldridge, Rush, Cottee and Cole. I think he would've been a massive success, if he'd gone over to Italy or Spain.

Yeah Beardsley has perhaps the best spell of his career (well, up their with his time at Liverpool) when he rejoined the Mag's. Him and Cole were dynamite in 93/94. My biggest regret is that David Kelly never got a shot at playing in the premiership, he was a true hero and very good player and I'd love to see how he'd have done. Pity.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ July 7 2009, 2:55 PM BST

Yeah Beardsley has perhaps the best spell of his career (well, up their with his time at Liverpool) when he rejoined the Mag's. Him and Cole were dynamite in 93/94. My biggest regret is that David Kelly never got a shot at playing in the premiership, he was a true hero and very good player and I'd love to see how he'd have done. Pity.

I think you'd have been disappointed. I liked Kelly as a player, but he was definitely not top-flight material. He played for Sunderland in 96/97 in the Prem and didn't score all season. He was the kind of player you buy to get promoted from the second flight and then jettison. Sad, but true.

Rob, are you from the North East?

Quote: catskillz @ July 7 2009, 3:26 PM BST

Rob, are you from the North East?

No mate. I've a soft spot for Ireland so know more about Kelly than I otherwise would, plus I've always liked to keep an eye on all levels of football.

I'm from London.

Oh, I was just thinking back to one of your old posts, in which you said you went to Uni in my neck of the woods, and I was wondering where you were from. Actually, speaking of which, I'm still trying to get my head around you saying Huyton was a nice area! Also, didn't you say you went out with a girl from Crosby? That's actually where I grew up.

Maybe you should try and get Wyn Davies back.

Quote: catskillz @ July 7 2009, 3:50 PM BST

Oh, I was just thinking back to one of your old posts, in which you said you went to Uni in my neck of the woods, and I was wondering where you were from. Actually, speaking of which, I'm still trying to get my head around you saying Huyton was a nice area! Also, didn't you say you went out with a girl from Crosby? That's actually where I grew up.

Did I say that about Huyton?!!! Doesn't sound like something I'd say unless I was being sarcastic? I used to knock around with a load of lads from Whiston, so I don't think I'd say that about Huyton. I did indeed go out with a girl from Crosby. I used to work in Waterloo. I went to uni for three years in Liverpool and lived there for two more after, ostensibly working.

Do you still live round there now?

Quote: Rob H @ April 29 2009, 2:29 PM BST

I was a student there for the first three years, but most of my mates were local lads, so I got to visit such lovely areas as Page Moss, Huyton and Whiston. I also went out with a girl from Crosby so know that quite well. The last two years I was there was definitely not the typical student experience.

Just for the record, I loved Liverpool. I've not been back for nearly two years so have no idea just how bad concrete and glass have been allowed to mess up the city.

I was deffo being sarcastic!!

For those Newcastle fans looking to take a nostalgic look back, Sky Sports 1 is showing a Newcastle Time of Our Lives episode this week with Beresford, Lee and Beardsley according to the TV guide. I for one can't wait to be taken back to those great days! Even if it is only for an hour!