Not a good day in the North East Page 3

Quote: Chappers @ May 26 2009, 1:08 AM BST

I see Ferguson is talking about another 5 years. Obviously he thinks he's irreplaceable. Arrogant twat.

There was no way Fergie was going to let a new manager take the glory of surpassing Liverpool's 18 League titles. Also, if United win tonight, he'll probably fancy his chances of equalling their 5 European Champion titles. Don't forget, some of his star players, e.g. Ronaldo and Rooney have still got their best years ahead of them, and Fergie doesn't want to miss them.

Quote: catskillz @ May 27 2009, 4:52 PM BST

The media always go on about how Newcastle fans are somehow more fanatical about their team than any other fans, but this is just an illusion, created by the fact that the city only has one big team. The same thing happens with Barcelona, and Napoli. If other cities, like Manchester, Liverpool, London or Glasgow only had the one big team, their fans would also appear more fanatical.

Football is massive in Newcastle. Whether I be in a taxi, queueing in a bank, waiting for the metro, signing for a parcel being delivered at my front door we aways talk about the last match, the latest signing, the new manager (which as you all know is a frequent occurance). The reason we appear so fanatical (which we are by the way) is because of the very reason you mentioned, the fact that there is only one big team in our city therefore giving a majority of our population something in common. There's nothing wrong with that. But to say that if other cities only had one big team that their fans would appear more fanatical is pointless, wether that would be the case or not! If Ferguson had of managed another team they would have won all of those titles or if Bolton, Wigan or Fulham had been bought by the owners of Man City they would have signed Robinho. Who knows!!! All if's and buts! The media's portrayl of us is however, like most things, only what they want to fabricate for their own benefit.

Quote: Quentin @ May 27 2009, 5:56 PM BST

The media's portrayl of us is however, like most things, only what they want to fabricate for their own benefit.

They love to have a go.

What do you think the away support will be like next season Quentin? I'm hoping to get in with the away fans when they're in the South West. (Bristol City etc.)

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 27 2009, 6:07 PM BST

What do you think the away support will be like next season Quentin? I'm hoping to get in with the away fans when they're in the South West. (Bristol City etc.)

I think it'll be the same as this year-or as many as the smaller stadiums can fit ;) Those who travel to the away games are die hard fans that will be there regardless. It amazes me when people say they're no longer going to the matches or aren't going to renew their season tickets cos they've had enough! I think you should support your team whenever possible but each to their own I guess. Where abouts are you based Nil? Im guessing South West. I used to live in Gloucester and it was a nightmare trying to get to games-barely went until I moved North and got a season ticket-ironically this was 2 years ago when all went even more pear shape :(

Bummer. I live in Bristol, so it's one hell of a trek if I wanted to see a home game. I was hoping to get in with the away fans when they came this way. I hate having to sit with the opposition and stiffle my support. :( I thought they'd have plenty of support, oh well, I'll have to see.

Quote: Nil Putters @ May 27 2009, 9:22 PM BST

Bummer. I live in Bristol, so it's one hell of a trek if I wanted to see a home game. I was hoping to get in with the away fans when they came this way. I hate having to sit with the opposition and stiffle my support. :( I thought they'd have plenty of support, oh well, I'll have to see.

There are lots of teams down south in the Championship Nil...Just saying.

Whistling nnocently

Yep, it's a silver lining. :P

And now it looks like Owen may be going to Manchester United.

Actually - I hate to say it but - it could be really good business for them. It's about the only club who could afford to take on some one so injury prone - and look what happened when the bastards signed Henrik Larssen.

Well, I'm praying that the rumour connecting Michael Owen with a move with Manchester United is just an extremely sick joke.

I think it's a no-risk gamble for United really. If there is such a thing. I can't really see the downside.

Quote: Jack Massey @ July 3 2009, 1:42 PM BST

Well, I'm praying that the rumour connecting Michael Owen with a move with Manchester United is just an extremely sick joke.

Because he's inury-prone, or because you think his best days are behind him? Don't forget, he's desperate to get back into the England squad, for next year, so now might be the best time to sign him.

Both of them reasons. He was good for a time, but now he's nowhere near good enough for a top four team. It seems like a move of desperation for me and also, we've had all them years of an injury prone striker with Louis Saha. It seems a bit of an embarrasment for me to sign someone who was in a team that got relegated last season and a striker who Blackburn said they didn't want.

Sir Alex gets right more times than he gets it wrong.

I can't see how this is possibly a good move for United.

Owen will find it a lot easier to score, surrounded by United's players, than he did when surrounded by the Newcastle lot. Anyway, as an Everton fan, I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't get him. What a lot of people don't know, is that he used to support Everton when he was a kid. I think his Dad played for our reserve team, and was also a fan.