Mumbai Calling Page 2

Well don't got booking any tickets or you wont get far.

Quote: Leevil @ March 8, 2008, 8:10 PM

It's what used to be Bombay.

Really? I honestly didn't know. Laughing out loud

:O

Jake taught me that!

Are Bombay Micks their Irish immigrants?

Quote: Jolanta Zofia Nowak @ March 8, 2008, 8:17 PM

Ah I see... political correctness running riot. I'm afraid it's still Bombay as far as yours truly is concerned. Peking will not become Beijing, Moscow will not become Moskva and Paris will not become Paree.

Etc etc

And Czechoslovakia will never be Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Just like West Germany and East Germany will never be Germany.

Quote: David Chapman @ March 8, 2008, 11:32 PM

Are Bombay Micks their Irish immigrants?

And Czechoslovakia will never be Slovakia and the Czech Republic. Just like West Germany and East Germany will never be Germany.

Said the man with Two Brains & The Jerk!

Quote: Charley @ March 9, 2008, 3:17 AM

Said the man with Two Brains & The Jerk!

I wouldn't really call you a jerk.

Starts tonight at 9pm on ITV1.

SITCOM: Mumbai Calling
On: ITV1
Date: Saturday 30th May 2009
Time: 22:00 to 22:30

Teknobable. New comedy series. When Kenny Gupta is sent from London to manage a call centre in Mumbai, he soon finds himself broken-hearted and miserable. But while he is nursing his unhappiness away from work, head office decides to send an assessor to investigate the centre. Kenny receives a pleasant surprise when assessor Terry turns out to be an attractive woman called Terri - and her arrival has some unexpected results for everyone.

https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/mumbai_calling/

Oh dear,

Really not very good at all.

Just watched the first half. Very poor in my opinion.

Quote: bigsize @ May 30 2009, 10:14 PM BST

Just watched the first half. Very poor in my opinion.

Agreed. *switches over*

I saw a couple of episodes in Dubai last year, and it doesn't get any better. Not my cup of chai. Him off EastEnders was quite good, but it's a bit lame.

How on earth did this get commissioned?

Really quite enjoyed that. A few good lines sprinkled through, and loved Dev. Disappointed it's gone all swishy and upmarket from the pilot though.

From the pic on our front page I was starting to wonder if one of the 'moms' from The O.C. was going to be in it.

But, er. She wasn't...

Haven't ever seen the pilot, but this (presumably having been re-shot) felt very much still like a pilot. Very sketchy set-ups of the characters, too many predictable call centre gags (though that in itself was predictable). A paint-by-numbers plot, which was very contrived and into which the characters were just simply squeezed into.

Some good performances and a few good one-liners, but no real sense of the comedy coming much from the characters (other than the guy off EastEnders' character). The basic premise/situation is a good one, but all the first episode really suggested that it's going to mainly be about the relationship between the two British characters. The call centre/cultural clashes et cetera don't seem to lead the comedy in any meaningful way.

Again, not having seen the pilot, I can't comment on how that introduced the show. But I would have thought it would have been sensible to have spent a little more time introducing Sanjiv Bashkar's character, ie with some backstory about the life he left behind (the failed romance story referral was trite) and some introduction into his new life. To also include the introduction of another ex-pat into the mix (in episode 1) doesn't really work. There is little to contrast his and her experience.

Will watch next week, it might improve, of course.

The one moment which did make me laugh was over the end credits, when the ITV announcer informed viewers that The National Flood Helpline (which the centre was "hilariously" fielding calls for) did not actually exist; and that they were not referring to the Environmental Agency... Obviously ITV never takes the chance of overestimating its audience's intelligence.