Sitcom - first scene

Here is the first scene from my latest sitcom. It's an early draft but wanted to get some reaction to it.

SCENE 1. INT. CARERS CHARITY SHOP – DAY 1 8:45AM

ANNIE (FRUMPY, MID 50'S, SUBMISSIVE) IS DRESSING A SHOP MANNEQUIN. SHE PLACES SOME FANCY RED SHOES AT THE FEET AND STRAIGHTENS OUT THE MATCHING ELEGANT BALL GOWN.
EDITH (SHORT, SKINNY, LATE 50'S, AUTHORITIVE) BARGES HER OUT THE WAY.

EDITH:
Have I not taught you anything about working in a charity shop?

ANNIE:
Sorry Edie I just thought it might (PAUSE) you know (PAUSE) look pretty

EDITH:
The more clothes on the dummy

EDITH PLACES A BASEBALL CAP ON TOP OF THE MANNEQUIN AND A BOMBER JACKET OVER THE DRESS

EDITH & ANNIE:
The more chance of making money

DEBBIE (PRETTY TEENAGE GIRL) WALKS OUT OF THE BACK ROOM CARRYING A CHARITY BAG.
EDITH DOESN'T NOTICE HER AND JUST PEERS THROUGH THE CLOSED BLINDS.

EDITH:
Look at that. Five bags for an animal charity! It makes you feel sick. I blame Rolf Harris for this, if he ever comes round here I'll show him where to stick is didgeridoo.

SHE TURNS TO ANNIE AND DEBBIE WHO ARE NOW SEARCHING THROUGH THEIR ONLY CHARITY BAG

EDITH:
One bag! (PAUSE) the busiest week of the charity shop calendar and we have got one bag! How are we supposed to take care of this country's old people if they won't have the common decency to die and leave us their old clothes.

DEBBIE:
Why is it the biggest week of the year?

EDITH:
Its fresher's week at the university.

ANNIE:
What's that got to do with us?

EDITH:
It means an endless stream of students will be coming through our door wanting to be pirates, cavemen, superheroes.
Think Mr Benn times twenty thousand.

DEBBIE:
Won't they just go to the fancy dress shop?

EDITH:
They're students Debbie. Tight as a Scottish coach party.
Just like our usual customers but with all their original parts. Now what have we got in that bag?

DEBBIE:
A puzzle.

EDITH:
Two pound.

DEBBIE:
It says twenty pieces missing.

EDITH:
A pound then.

DEBBIE:
It's only a twenty five piece puzzle.

EDITH:
Forget the puzzle. What else?

ANNIE:
A skipping rope.

EDITH TAKES THE ROPE OF ANNIE AND EXAMINES IT

EDITH:
That's the third time that skipping rope has come through our doors. It's bought more bags our way than flu this year.

DEBBIE:
A wig.

EDITH:
Oh, This must be Mrs Andrews bag.

DEBBIE PUTS THE WIG ON AND STARTS MODELLING IT

DEBBIE:
Why would you donate a wig?

EDITH:
She probably don't need it anymore.

DEBBIE:
Why not? Has she had one of those hair transplants?

EDITH:
No, she died last week.

DEBBIE THROWS THE WIG TO THE FLOOR IN DISGUST

EDITH:
Alright keep your wig on.

EDITH LAUGHS TO HERSELF AT HER BAD JOKE

EDITH:
I'm pretty sure she didn't die of a virulent strain of dandruff. Anyway that's a good start to our fancy dress pile.

ANNIE HOLDS UP A VIDEO

ANNIE:
Ooh. The Full Monty that's the last one we need.

ANNIE RISES TO HER FEET AGAIN AND SHUFFLES OVER TO A SHELVING AREA. CAMERA CUTS TO THE SHELF WHERE A WHOLE ROW OF FULL MONTY VIDEOS ALREADY SIT WITH ROOM FOR JUST ONE MORE. ANNIE ADDS THE VIDEO TO THE SHELF AND THEN SITS BACK DOWN.

EDITH:
Are there any clothes in there that we could sell as fancy dress?

DEBBIE LOOKS INTO THE BAG

DEBBIE:
Not unless its nineteen eighties unfashionable pensioner night at the student union.

EDITH:
Is it?

DEBBIE:
I doubt it.

EDITH:
Hmm, Annie get the local paper and read me the obituaries.

ANNIE PUSHES HERSELF UP AND WADDLES OUT TO THE BACK ROOM. SHE COMES BACK WITH THE PAPER READING OUT THE OBITUARIES.

ANNIE:
Barbara Jennings forever in our hearts.

EDITH:
What a shame.

DEBBIE:
Was she a friend?

EDITH:
Not but I know her husband. He was a pilot in the Battle of Britain. A real hero - flew over fifty missions.

THE OTHERS LOOK RESPECTFULLY SAD.

EDITH
If only it were him we could have got £20 for an authentic pilot outfit.

ANNIE:
What about (PAUSE) Mary Ann Davis, you will be sorely missed.

EDITH:
Excellent. She was in the Chideock players she must have a few costumes left over. Mind you she's played the back end of a pantomime horse for the last five years.

DEBBIE:
Not a great loss to the acting world then.

EDITH:
Oh yes she was a great actress. She had a terrible stoop towards the end though and she just got typecast.

DEBBIE:
How terrible.

EDITH:
Yes and to add insult to injury the pantomime this year is The Hunchback of Notre Dame, she was a shoe in.
Right now you two tidy this place up, but make sure you go through all those clothes first.

EDITH GOES TO LEAVE

EDITH:
Oh, and what is the golden rule about checking clothes Annie.

ANNIE:
If the clothes smell a bit then it's probably...

EDITH:
Not that one. Remember, if the person has died there might be money inside.

EDITH GOES TO LEAVE AGAIN

DEBBIE:
Do you really think we should be troubling these people, they're loved ones have only just died.

EDITH:
They put an advert in the paper.

DEBBIE:
That's not an advert it's a death notice.

EDITH:
Well if the bereaved won't bring the bags to us, we will go and get them ourselves. Think of me as the charity shops Robin Hood.

DEBBIE:
I think of you more as robbing (PAUSE) old people.

EDITH:
You have a lot to learn my girl. I'd be surprised if her over the road hasn't already pounced on them.
Now get this place sorted and check those pockets.

EDITH LEAVES THE SHOP

Hia Tom, I think you have some classic lines in this "yes but its a 25 piece puzzle", and its clear you have good comedy timing so I think you should hone this into a different setting as I think its too similar to the old women in the leauge of gentlemen. Good work though.

I just checked that out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npou8eFIWHM

I hadn't seen this before but definitely see where you are coming from.

I imagine this was a one off sketch in the show though?

I'd like to think that what I'm doing is a bit less dark and a little less surreal though.

well they had regular sketches and a rather large part in the third series. I see what your saying, although I think its the emphasis on the 'bags', this was their catch phrase in a way.

Hi Tom

Some good lines but needs trimming. Also check this out:

https://www.comedy.co.uk/news/news.php?story=0003

That is almost exactly my sitcom! Did that ever air?

I really liked that Tom and when I clicked on the link to see almost the same sitcom as yours, it gave me faith back in editors who are always saying someone else has submitted the same idea....maybe I'll believe them now.

Quote: Tom G @ April 8 2009, 6:16 PM BST

That is almost exactly my sitcom! Did that ever air?

Looks like the pilot did. But I wouldn't worry too much - it probably dissappeared down the comedy plughole without many seeing it. I've always thought there must be mileage in a charity shop sitcom - albeit a really surreal one to offset the boring setting would perhaps be better.

Quote: Lee Henman @ April 9 2009, 12:12 AM BST

Looks like the pilot did. But I wouldn't worry too much - it probably dissappeared down the comedy plughole without many seeing it.

Isn't that even more of a reason that no one will touch something similar? it's one thing to have a script that's like a successful show, another to have one similar to a flop.

Maybe it airs only in Scotland?

Very easy to read and you do have good timing...!!!

Keep working on it and it'll come together...

Quote: Dolly Dagger @ April 9 2009, 9:47 AM BST

Isn't that even more of a reason that no one will touch something similar? it's one thing to have a script that's like a successful show, another to have one similar to a flop.

I'd like to think its even more reason to do it, through research I found another flopped sitcom called Mr Charity

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2001/dec/14/broadcasting.bbc

also sat in a charity shop but with a different angle to mine.

I think this shows that people see it as a potential setting but no-one has pulled it off yet. I'd never heard of these other shows and I'm a big sitcom fan so don't think it would put others off watching.

I think its just waiting for someone to get it right. I imagine most situations imaginable have been done in some shape or form.

To be honest I think producers are more likely to stay away from an area that has previously bombed, however good they think your script. At least until a long time has elapsed.

Well I've finished the script and just re-writing now, so I'm in too deep to give up.

I have never sent anything out so I'll give it a try anyway, got to start getting things out there.

It did remind me very much of the LOG sketches.

Also, there seems to be little plot established in your opening scene. Is it going to centre around the influx of students?

Well the first half focuses on Edith getting the shop prepared for the students and then a hostage situation.

If anyone would like to read the full think then just pm me. I hope to get it finished over Easter so will send it out to you over the weekend.

Anyone got any feedback for what I've posted, writing and joke wise.

What do you find funny, what doesn't work etc.