Top Ten American Sitcoms Ever Page 5

In order of greatness - though I admit if I was older than probably the older ones would be slightly higher up

1.Curb Your Enthusiasm
2.The Office
3.Larry Saunders
4.Family Guy
5.Arrested Development
6.Seinfield
7.Taxi
8.Cheers
9.Lucky Louie
10.South Park

Man, several people placing Curb higher than Seinfeld. Curb's great, but Seinfeld's the greatest sitcom of all time. To me at least.

Any fans of the King of Queens on here? I know it's not exactly cutting edge, but at least it's consistently funny, unlike some other shows I could name. Plus, it's got Ben Stiller's Dad in it, who is just hilarious.

Mash
Taxi
Golden Girls
Police Squad (in Color)
My two Dads
Rhoda (featuring Carlton, your doorman)
The Cosby Show
Blossom
The Dick Van Dyke Show
Best of the West

I'll bet there are loads more I can't think of at the moment.

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 21 2009, 11:37 AM GMT

Man, several people placing Curb higher than Seinfeld. Curbs great, but Seinfelds the greatest sitcom of all time. To me at least.

I couldn't disagree with that.
Seinfeld took over the Cheers timeslot and was the only show I can think of that could have surpassed it.

I'd also make sure that I found a place in my top 10 for the Phil Silvers show, It's still as good today as it ever was.
I just wished they'd show some more repeats, I haven't seen it on the box for a while.

Quote: Fred Sunshine @ February 22 2009, 1:00 AM GMT

I'd also make sure that I found a place in my top 10 for the Phil Silvers show, It's still as good today as it ever was.

Good call.

Quote: catskillz @ February 21 2009, 11:46 PM GMT

Any fans of the King of Queens on here? I know it's not exactly cutting edge, but at least it's consistently funny, unlike some other shows I could name. Plus, it's got Ben Stiller's Dad in it, who is just hilarious.

Quote: Aaron @ February 19 2009, 9:48 PM GMT

In no particular order:

The Big Bang Theory
30 Rock
Becker
Samantha Who?
The King Of Queens
Spin City
3rd Rock From The Sun

And that's all I can really think of at the moment.

Perusing this thread I noticed The Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy and King of the Hill on a few lists. Can cartoons be classified as 'animated sitcoms' or should they simply be called cartoons or animated comedy series? King of the Hill (well, and many episodes of The Simpsons) is the only one that could be consistently filmed as a real-life sitcom, the others tend to contain situations that are too outlandish.

If cartoons are classified as sitcoms, does that mean forgettable rubbish like Popetown qualifies as a sitcom?

in no order

frasier
simpsons
seinfeld
larry sanders
arrested development
friends(there's some great writing and acting throughout)
cheers
freaks and geeks(if it counts, otherwise give this slot to malcolm in the middle's first few seasons)
undeclared
king of the hill(despite being inconsistent)

1. Frasier
2. Curb Your Enthusiasm
3. King of Queens
4. Cheers
5. The Simpsons
6. Friends
7. Seinfeld
8. Family Guy
9. The Office
10. Everybody Loves Raymond

1. I dream of Jeanie
2. Seinfeld

I have been less than impressed with anything else - thank goodness there are so many UK classics. :)

Quote: Rob M @ April 3 2009, 9:11 PM BST

I have been less than impressed with anything else -

Then you clearly can't have seen enough! There's a ton of great American shows; get digging! :)

Quote: Matthew Stott @ February 21 2009, 12:37 PM BST

Man, several people placing Curb higher than Seinfeld. Curb's great, but Seinfeld's the greatest sitcom of all time. To me at least.

I don't get that myself. There are easily about 20 plus Seinfeld episodes which are better than Curb's best few ones. Plus Seinfeld holds up better on repeated viewings. Costanza is perhaps the best character in sitcom history, Kramer is great too and the pool of minor characters has real depth and is brimming with greatness. Both Sein and Curb are ace of course, but Sein is definitely superior. Arrested Development is very overrated as a whole, it fell away badly from halfway through season 2 onwards.

Quote: Jackson Neil @ April 6 2009, 10:34 AM BST

1. Seinfeld
2. Arrested Development
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm

Good top three, though for me at the moment I would replace Curb with 30 Rock.

1. The Simpsons
2. American Dad
3. Car 54 Where are you?
4. My Name is Earl
5. Family Guy
6. Futurama
7. Kenan and Kel (I loved it too)
8. The Big Bang Theory
9. King of the Hill
10. Curb your Enthusiasm.