Jokes for Panel shows

ie Buzzcocks etc..

Hi!

What's the best way of going about trying to submit material to TV shows ?

turn up to a recording and bung your gags towards the panel as paper aeroplanes.

Is that the official way ?

They employ people, so you'd need to have an agent probably, and a bit of previous.

Pitch your own panel show idea to Radio 4 - it's very easy - then supply all the jokes yourself.

Quote: Seefacts @ March 2 2009, 4:50 PM GMT

and a bit of previous.

I have a bit of previous but I was drunk and didn't know what I was doing and my Brief was rubbish and I'm trying to forget anyway and now you've gone and brought it all crashing back.

*Goes off to call Samaritans*

Ask Lee Henman. He's a writer on here and he recently did some writing for a panel show pilot.

There's an article on here somewhere that explains the process for HIGNFY. I think it's an article containg an interview with a writer of the show?

Paging Aaron or Mark!

I know they hold writers auditions for Buzzcocks before each series, and that it's very competitive.

Quote: Blenkinsop @ March 2 2009, 6:27 PM GMT

There's an article on here somewhere that explains the process for HIGNFY. I think it's an article containg an interview with a writer of the show?

Paging Aaron or Mark!

Here's the link: https://www.comedy.co.uk/tv/hignfy/interview/?writers=yes

The short answer is that 99.9% of all gag writers on TV panel shows come from the radio. You can't jump straight into TV gag writing. The way to get yourself onto the radio is via schemes like 7 On 7 (see the thread in the Writing Opportunities sub-forum for more on that).

Quote: Ben @ March 2 2009, 6:17 PM GMT

Ask Lee Henman. He's a writer on here and he recently did some writing for a panel show pilot.

Nothing to tell really - the work came through my agent. And it's jolly hard work too. There's a huge difference between writing narrative comedy and topical gag-writing. There's a huge amount of researcher's notes to trawl through in search of inspiration - (on the pilot I worked on there were literally hundreds of pages), and then the actual process of thinking up pithy one-liners about what would happen if Sharon Osbourne was Queen is pretty hard. I enjoyed it but I just about scraped through I think.

The money's good though.

Quote: Lee Henman @ March 3 2009, 1:40 PM GMT

.../then the actual process of thinking up pithy one-liners about what would happen if Sharon Osbourne was Queen is pretty hard.

Well, what would happen?

Quote: chipolata @ March 2 2009, 4:51 PM GMT

Pitch your own panel show idea to Radio 4 - it's very easy - then supply all the jokes yourself.

That's what I've tried to do. I've yet to hear back though - since June.

Quote: NoggetFred @ March 3 2009, 5:11 PM GMT

Well, what would happen?

I think one of the gags that made the final cut went along the lines of "It'd be worth having Sharon as our Queen just for the sight of Ozzie shaking hands with people and going "And what do I do?"