118 118 Need Jokes Page 15

118jokes@googlemail.com

Quote: sootyj @ December 11 2008, 3:34 PM GMT

118jokes@googlemail.com

I have been sending them to 118jokes@gmail.com

Aren't all the 3 the same?

Aparently mine have been received.

I hope.

Yeah, they probably all are the same, but I haven't received any word back on the stuff I sent last week so I just wanted to check I had the right address. I'm sure he's just busy.

Don't worry - gmail and Googlemail same thing - both will get the there

About that email that was sent (for me, Nov 26) saying here's the address Graham wants you to send your jokes to; when I put my mouse pointer arrow/hand on the the 118jokes@gmail.com addy I get a white box come up reading blocked::mailto118jokes@gmail.com

I don't get it on any other address and I certainly have not blocked it. Is this just something insignificant to do with my mailserver or is something happening at Graham's end? (i don't send him filth anymore!)

Perhaps he is just too busy but is anyone else getting this?

Sounds like that's something to do with your mail prog.

Whatever prog you use, check the Blocked Addresses. You might have inadvertantly blocked it.

By the way..... I don't think ANYONE has had any emails from 118 since the last "weekly tot up" .... well, at least, I haven't.

I was expecting a new tot up email this week as 118 said they were changing to weekly, but I've heard nothing else since the Tuesday before.

I sent seven jokes in to Jack the first week in October all of which were my own unaided work. Just tried one of them the other day on a one day stand up course and was told by the tutor (who's also a comedy producer) that he'd forgive my bad delivery since it was such a good joke ... None of the jokes got anywhere for 118 in October and haven't bovvered since ... But hey it's all a matter of personal taste and prejudice in the end ...

If technology is so advanced, how come your mobile is the only thing you can ring when you lose it?

Homer Simpson's credit crunch advice to banks: "Give us more 'Doh'

After sexy Sarah Palin's success in the US, Gordon Brown hopes new deputy PM Jordan will help him bounce back.

I won't say the accountant drinks too much – he just does double-entry book keeping in triplicate.

A friend in need is the one who tells you he only borrowed your girlfriend for one night.

Kids have no childhood now - even babies complain they're forced to date, saying they're induced.

The local library sold all its books, bought in computers, moved location and now it's a call centre in India.

Well, I laughed at them ... :D lol

Yeah I've sent a few to the new email and had no reply. The replies were pretty quick from the other address so I don't know what's going on.

My fave joke that was rejected:

Why is Christmas like anal sex?

Because giving feels better than receiving

Still makes me chuckle...

I sent a couple of questions to Graham with my last batch and he responded quickly so he is still out there receiving loud and clear. He didn't volunteer any info on the latest roll call or if he'd chosen any of mine but I suppose it won't be long before he tells us.

If anyone finds it helpful the questions I asked him were firstly, would you consider several responses to a caption type question/joke? He said he'd probably just go with the funniest but if he thought another was particularly good as well then he might hold it for the following week.

Also 'Can you say arse?' He said no but if it was vital for the joke then send it anyway coz it may be used later if the rules change.

As it stand guys I just wouldn't send anything remotely lurid :(

Quote: Chris Forshaw @ December 13 2008, 12:19 AM GMT

Yeah I've sent a few to the new email and had no reply. The replies were pretty quick from the other address so I don't know what's going on.

My fave joke that was rejected:

Why is Christmas like anal sex?

Because giving feels better than receiving

Still makes me chuckle...

Great joke, but if you bare in mind anything rude you send that they use will probably hit the Sun.

It's got no chance.

Quote: Goldnutmeg @ December 12 2008, 10:16 PM GMT

If technology is so advanced, how come your mobile is the only thing you can ring when you lose it?

Homer Simpson's credit crunch advice to banks: "Give us more 'Doh'

After sexy Sarah Palin's success in the US, Gordon Brown hopes new deputy PM Jordan will help him bounce back.

I won't say the accountant drinks too much – he just does double-entry book keeping in triplicate.

A friend in need is the one who tells you he only borrowed your girlfriend for one night.

Kids have no childhood now - even babies complain they're forced to date, saying they're induced.

The local library sold all its books, bought in computers, moved location and now it's a call centre in India.

Well, I laughed at them ... :D lol

Well they're pretty good especially 7 might I recommend resending them if you sent that a couple of months ago, I've resent some of mine.

Hi All,

Tips
1. keep them to 110 characters or less.

2. Keep them clean, although we can't use rude ones at the moment, we maybe able to in the future so I keep them marked up.

3. When doing jokes about celebs be cheeky not hateful

4. Politics is not a big seller and some topical jokes have such a short shelf life they may not get used. For example, Wednesdays joke's are picked on Monday.

5. Be original. Believe it or not you are not the first person link Santa, lap dancers and Lapland. Nor are you the first to think "credit crunch sounds like a breakfast cereal"

6. Avoid anything about illness and while we are at it dyslexia jokes are not that funny either.

7. Think about your phrasing, some jokes don't make it through because they are badly phrased, sometimes I will edit them, but sometimes it is just easier to pick another joke. Sometimes I might tell you to rethink and re-edit and resend.

8. I can't be precise on we are looking for because then I will miss out on the stuff I don't we are looking for. Try variety, if it is funny it has a good chance of going through.

9. Keep writing, Joel has done so well because he writes everyday, by default he gets some. Others will try once, not sell anything and give up. Those people don't sell much.

10. Keep the joke in one line with no line breaks, don't number jokes and don't use attachments, little things that make my life easier.

11. We are always looking variety in style and topic, I can only pick so many jokes about the economy a day.

Behind the scenes stuff, I do read and grade every joke I get sent, the majority score 0 or 1 out of 5. My selection moves on to Jack who then picks for 118 and then 118 will pick the final jokes.

If you want to know if you joke has been short-listed by me ask in the e-mail, but that shortlist will more often than not end in heartbreak.

I do try to answer all questions sent to me.

You can e-mail all jokes to 118jokes@gmail.com

Thanks

Graham.

Thanks Graham, very useful tips.

Thanks Graham - fantastic stuff

Quote: Graham Trelfer @ December 13 2008, 8:53 PM GMT

If you want to know if you joke has been short-listed by me ask in the e-mail, but that shortlist will more often than not end in heartbreak.

*RECALLS EMAIL HE WAS ABOUT TO SEND*

Basically must try harder on my part... and possibly make them funny :)

Thanks, great tips.