Parents Of The Band Page 2

Quote: Aaron @ December 1 2008, 11:28 AM GMT

Do you understand comedy or audiences in the slightest? After the above comment, I'm betting quite strongly on a "no".

The word 'though' was used as in the sense "on the other hand" or "but maybe". Read the sentence with that in mind and see if it now makes sense.

Overall, stereotypes and weak cliched 'gags' aside, I don't think its intended audience warm to it; especially without a laughter track to tell them it's funny.

It makes sense, I just don't agree that it is in the same style or tone at all.

Anyway, we can at least agree that it's not funny. :)

I didn't find this very funny, but it was the first episode so I guess that was why it was exposition-happy. The acting seemed a bit wooden too.

Quote: john lucas 101 @ December 1 2008, 7:49 AM GMT

(And it's written by David Cummings who co-wrote 'Happiness', which I seem to recall being rather good).

I used to love that so maybe I'll give it another go - except I'm going to see the Yardbirds on Friday - if I hadn't told you before.

It was an ok start I thought... but I watched it just after Outnumbered, thus some of the younger actors appeared to me to be very woodern actors.

Despite my better judgement, I do find Jimmy Nail a likeable screen presence. I liked him in Auf Weidersehn Pet, Spender and Crocodile Shoes. He has a kind of bland charm, and if this series can get past it's initial teething troubles, it could have legs.

Quote: chipolata @ December 2 2008, 11:30 AM GMT

Despite my better judgement, I do find Jimmy Nail a likeable screen presence. I liked him in Auf Weidersehn Pet, Spender and Crocodile Shoes. He has a kind of bland charm, and if this series can get past it's initial teething troubles, it could have legs.

I think he has a great face. I thought he was great in Auf Weidersehn Pet. He seems too good for this though?

Just noticed this and watched it on the iPlayer. It was watchable I guess, and I thought the guy with all the wine got more amusing, but it wasn't funny. I actually enjoyed Jimmy Nail as Spender all those years ago.

I'm a little too scared to watch this. My Dad manages my step-sister's band, writes the songs, produces everything, works as their stylist, the whole shebang. I'm worried it will all be a little too familiar and worry me greatly.

Go on, give it a go!

Quote: miss_jaffacake @ December 8 2008, 5:17 PM GMT

I'm a little too scared to watch this. My Dad manages my step-sister's band, writes the songs, produces everything, works as their stylist, the whole shebang. I'm worried it will all be a little too familiar and worry me greatly.

You mean living out his fantasies through her? Does she really want to be in a band? I bet if she does the last person she wants involved is her dad.

I just got around to watching episode 2, and actually really enjoyed it. It's not really making me laugh, but it's entertaining enough to watch, and has got me interested in the story now. Looking forward to episode 3 in 7 minutes. :)

Quote: Aaron @ December 12 2008, 8:23 PM GMT

I just got around to watching episode 2, and actually really enjoyed it. It's not really making me laugh, but it's entertaining enough to watch, and has got me interested in the story now. Looking forward to episode 3 in 7 minutes. :)

Thanks for sticking with it. It does get better with each episode as you get to know the characters. Originally, they were going to have the songs available to download but don't think they are now.

Ah, that's interesting. Do you know if it was intended to be a paid or a free download?

I've stuck with Parents Of The Band too - it's definitely getting better. The later episodes have had sharper lines and stronger storylines. I enjoyed Friday's episode more than the previous ones.

I think the problem is the time slot - like you say, it's definitely a more subtle sitcom which has needed time to bed down and introduce the characters. The 8:30 Friday slot has always been held by fast 'gag orientated' sitcoms (After You've Gone, My Family etc) which has probably lead to the audience and critics getting the wrong impression and not being patient enough with it.