Comedy Writers Conference/Workshop Page 4

There are plenty of aspects of writing as a career that HAVE to be taught.
You can't just instinctively know how to submit your writing, and how the business works.

I can't be arsed to read all the posts.

How is this progressing then? Has something been organised?

Quote: zooo @ November 25 2008, 1:42 PM GMT

There are plenty of aspects of writing as a career that HAVE to be taught.
You can't just instinctively know how to submit your writing, and how the business works.

Or they give you a pro to help. :$

Quote: Dr Mato @ November 25 2008, 3:17 PM GMT

Or they give you a pro to help. :$

I'm afraid our government isn't quite so liberal, they have announced plans to crack down on that yesterday.

Quote: David Chapman @ November 25 2008, 3:11 PM GMT

I can't be arsed to read all the posts.

How is this progressing then? Has something been organised?

Not yet, we'll get an update in the new year apparently. I'm afraid this thread is turning into yet another 'can you teach writing' debate. Rolling eyes

Thanks for the continued comments. Just to clear up one thing - this conference won't teach you to be 'funny'. You're all past that stage (or, in some cases, past help... ha ha).

What I hope it will do, is help those that attend the day to focus on being as funny as possible. It's not just about writing though - it's as much about networking, the industry etc. The ultimate aim is to head people towards getting stuff broadcast and getting paid to write.

As I've mentioned previously, the idea is now on hold till the new year because everyone is too busy with Christmas parties and things, but no doubt in Jan/Feb we'll refine it with your help so that it really will meet whatever your requirements and desires for the day are.

Sorry. Don't travel. Let me know how it goes.

Again, I'm sorry if I came across as a twat. But I am a twat, so it becomes problematic. I actually (probably) think you can learn from courses, but don't let your personal voice be strangled - let mine, for example? You can be taught structure and plotting but not your personal voice... I think...?

Quote: Tim Walker @ December 6 2008, 12:43 AM GMT

You can be taught structure and plotting but not your personal voice.

I don't think there'll be a single writer who could seriously disagree with that sentence. :)

Quote: Tim Walker @ November 25 2008, 2:24 AM GMT

I spend at least a couple of nights a week just sitting in front of really good comedy DVDs - sitcom/film. And analysing the writing on great serious drama. Personally, this is how I have learnt something.

:)

But by doing that, you're still being "taught" aren't you? Even though you're not sat in a room with other writers listening to a lecturer, you're still being taught comedy by other experts doing it on the telly.

For what it's worth I do agree that you can't be "taught" funny - regardless of how many episodes of Reggie Perrin or lectures you sit through. But the technicalities of script writing can most definitely be taught, and I believe it's far easier to get to grips with those if they're laid out in front of you in black and white, rather than dissecting a real comedy show.
There's also the matter of being in a room with like-minded people which can be very rewarding for comedy hermits. I know myself as a writer it's sometimes easy to forget that you're not the only person in the universe doing this, and anything that can lift you from the solitude of solo writing can only be a good thing in my opinion.

So no, I don't thing comedy writing courses are a waste of time at all.

Guys, this is another topic that has been done to death in other threads. Can we keep this thread for workshop updates please? Maybe start a separate 'can you teach writing?' thread so ppl interested in just the workshop don't need to read all these other posts. Cheers! ;)

Agreed. Post remarks on the continuing debate (if any) in this specific thread. https://www.comedy.co.uk/forums/thread/10621
:)

Do we have any idea of a date for the Pilot yet? Is this still going to be in January?

Def.

Quote: Deferenz @ December 8 2008, 5:43 PM GMT

Do we have any idea of a date for the Pilot yet? Is this still going to be in January?

Thanks for the continued interest Deferenz. It'll be in January or February (edit: probably March or April now, we've not had time to organise it yet). We're not really going to come up with a date or anything like that until the new year when there's time to sit down and organise things carefully. In the meantime there's the new writers area to launch... that's not far off now. There's going to be a nice suprise contained within the new area so keep an eye out for when that's announced.

Any news on this Mark?