Witty and Twisted/Sketch Factor (BBC) Page 3

Well done Pripyat, good luck and all that shit. Just out of curiosity Pripyat and Beddy Boy. the scripts you sent it, were they developments on the ideas and characters that they used in the pilot episode, or did you come up with totally new characters etc?

Interesting question GJ, I'd like to know that too. I was initially going to send in one original idea and one development of an idea in the pilot but decided later to submit 2 original ideas as I was happier with them as finished pieces. I wrote a Blog related sketch from a male perspective but wasn't sure it was original enough, although both blog sketches on the pilot were female. Who knows, it's like changing lanes when you're stuck in motorway traffic.

Quote: steve by any other name @ November 10, 2006, 2:02 PM

Interesting question GJ, I'd like to know that too. I was initially going to send in one original idea and one development of an idea in the pilot but decided later to submit 2 original ideas as I was happier with them as finished pieces. I wrote a Blog related sketch from a male perspective but wasn't sure it was original enough, although both blog sketches on the pilot were female. Who knows, it's like changing lanes when you're stuck in motorway traffic.

The first set of sketches I sent in I did one original (Newsnight type thing) & a development of the Real News podcast.

The next sketches had to be one original (college radio DJ) a train announcement + a development (The Archvists) unfortunetaly I didn't tickle their funny bone on this occasion!

Personally, I thought the Archivists one on the pilot was pretty poor. The whole premise for me was ruined by her saying at the beginning 'we spoke on the phone earlier'. Why the hell didn't she establish then that they didn't have what she was after instead of going down there? Still, what do I Know!

I submitted two originals for the first round. My continuation for the next stage was the BBC cameraman and the kidnapper sketch.

Regarding The Sketch factor: It appears that the following message was posted on Chortle 02/11 Writing and Performing Comedy Board

Hi

I'm the producer of Sketch Factor and the linked radio series Recorded for Training Purposes.

Just confirming what Victoria said, if you haven't been contacted by now for Sketch Factor it means you didn't make the break to the second round. We are sending emails to everyone who entered the competition, but the priority was to contact the shortlist for the second round as they had to write material to a one week deadline.

Thanks for taking part. Don't be disheartened if you didn't make it this time. Hopefully we will be able to open the series up to newcomers towards the end of the first broadcast run in Feb 2007. With luck, if the series works this should be an ongoing opportunity for new writers. A bit like Weekending. Only with jokes.

Best wishes

Adam Bromley

So that seems like good news and that there's still hope for those who didn't make it to start with.

i entered and got through to the second stage but then rejected just the other day it was hard because the pilot with out sounding arrogant was poor so although you wrote your best stuff the comparison or measuring stick was hard to see, and the stuff on the pilot wasnt stuff i liked or the sort of stuff i write, still it was a good oppurtunity where there arent many for anyone wanting to write comedy, and its a shame there aren't more things like this. what does everyone else think about the competition and how they found it? im looking forward to hearing the show to see what 'got through' if you like.........

Missed the Sketch Factor deadline by a few hours which was annoying but I was planning on writing it all in a couple of hours so doubt I would've gotten far.

I thought the pilot was pretty good compared to alot of the radio comedy out there. I'm curious to see what the material they pick is like. How many here also entered Witty and Twisted? Not many have mentioned it.

I have to agree with dyingtolive, I didn't really find the pilot too funny and ended up tailoring what I wrote to the shows humour, which I think I did fairly well for the extension of their characters/sketches but I really struggled when it came to creating a brand new funny sketch.

Didnt think much of the pilot, but entered because it was an opportunity. I didnt even recieve a rejection e-mail! Which is annoying as it seems plenty of other people who didnt make it to the next round did.

There was I thinking I might have got through (they said end of Nov) when it occurred to me they had my old mashed-up email server address. Managed to check it today and there it was 'thanks but no thanks'. Still, I've won a 4laughs mug and dvd (although they haven't actually arrived)which is the Booker prize as far as I'm concerned!

You've got a 4laughs mug AND dvd!?!

I thought my first stage rejection from Sketch Factor was as high as I could get -- I am but an unfertilized egg in your comedy world...

;-)

Actually, might post my 'rejected' sketches on a thread in The Test Bed if the site ever comes back up.

Dan

Miranda, I enjoy your comments when I get rejected, but I don't remember us discussing you comforting other men..?
[/quote]

Aww, sorry Scott! I'm a consolation floosie!

It's great to hear that Recorded For Training Purposes is hoping to be open to unsolicited submissions. I particularly liked the pilot, which added to the disappointment of not getting through! Is anyone going to a recording? (Tickets are on the BBC site). I would've liked to, but can't do the dates.