Information about the Comedy Unit

Hi we're new to the board, you all saw the intro. We have quite a bit of experience with the Comedy Unit. We first sent a script to them in early 2004, that we both knew probably wasn't that great, but was the best we could make at that point. They sent us a letter that summer basially saying that they're weren't going to pursue it further, but Niall Clarke did invite us to the office for 'a general chat about comedy writing' and we used the time before the meeting to rewrite the pilot, thinking that based on the letter's feedback that we could improve it. It did get their interest and if you get past that initial stage with the Unit, your stuff gets submitted to these things they call 'comedy editorials' - basically focus groups where they get opinions from different 'demographics'. To cut a very long story short we got to this stage with two successive pilots, spending a total of three years re-writing them to try and fit with what they were telling us we needed - only to eventually get nowhere.

This is certainly not intended to put anyone off sending stuff to them. They invited us to meet with them based on a fairly shite original script and we learned a lot through all the rewrites we had to do. They also gave us our first paid writing work and some useful advice on subjects to avoid (ie scripts about rock bands). It's just to warn people that they can have you spending a lot of time rewriting scripts only to see nothing come of it in the end. Other people may have similar stories about other companies, but it was certainly an education for us in terms of not trusting everything producers tell you. It helped us to understand the nature of the industry a bit better.

Balfour and Robertson.

Thanks for the info guys

Dan

Did they give you a reason why the stuff (re-writes etc.) you were doing for them got nowhere?

Perhaps if you had waited and sent a script you were happy with it might have gone somewhere. Anyway, that's what i've always been told... don't send off a script until you actually happy with it.

Cheers though.

Quote: Balfour @ June 26, 2007, 3:09 PM

They also gave us our first paid writing work and some useful advice on subjects to avoid (ie scripts about rock bands).
Balfour and Robertson.

Really? I was genuinely thinking about doing one about a rock band.

Quote: Balfour @ June 26, 2007, 3:09 PM

some useful advice on subjects to avoid (ie scripts about rock bands).

Did they give you any more tips on what to avoid?

Quote: earman2009 @ June 26, 2007, 8:54 PM

Really? I was genuinely thinking about doing one about a rock band.

I don't see how a rock band is a bad thing to write about. How odd.

Maybe they get sent 3 million a week.

Maybe Spinal Tap did it all?

According to Niall Clark (sitcom editor) they do get a lot, most of which are unusable. They're certainly better than a lot of places seem to be for actually meeting with writers, even if their initial submission is not that great. If they see some potential in it, they will encourage you, but they are also very loath to take a risk at the end of it. We were eventually advised that it would be better to try with a radio script as they commission a lot more of those due to the relative cheapness.

On the rock band thing, that ultimately was what killed the first pilot we sent to them. However much we rewrote it, Niall Clark was unable to convince Colin Gilbert (the head of the unit) due to the subject matter. Apparently, thanks to high profile failures like the Young Person's Guide to Being a Rock Star, that subject in particular is considered a no-go area by most commissioning editors. It seems a bit extreme, but that's certainly what we were told.

Also I agree that generally you should never send anything you're not happy with yourself and I was loath to do so even that time, but we had been working on it for some time and as Gav was happier with the script than I was, I decided maybe I was just being awkward. It's certainly the only time I've sent anything away that I didn't believe in one hundred percent.

Seems weird that Niall Clark wasn't more 'in tune' with head of the unit... which could have saved you some heartache.

Comic Strip Presents and Spinal Tap did great comedy wonders with the rock band story. Maybe its a slightly tired format now.

Adam Buxton tried it a while ago but yeah I agree its a tired format now.

So what does that say about flat-share and family home scenarios?
:)
It seems strange that an idea is rejected for subject matter when ideas and settings are now basically rehashes. The genius and the originality comes in the execution - how a writer tackles an old idea and puts a fresh spin on it.

I know that they don't like music themes and you can't argue with what they want or don't want (as a writer we have to write what the market wants) but it seems strange, is all I'm saying.

Yeah, The Last Chancers (Adam Buxton) was alright, but Channel 4 kind of buried it in the schedules.

I too have been through the Comedy Unit with a TV sitcom, wrote about three rewrites, recieved some good feedback and advice but it didn't go anywhere in the end and I moved onto other ideas.