US Election Page 4

Quote: Bad dog @ November 5 2008, 10:00 AM GMT

I think the game plan was just to get elected.

Thank God!

No one needs another 20 years of unelectable oposition like we had with Labor for so many years.

Democracies are mirrors they reflect the wishes of the people with in them.

In this case a pretty right wing guy, with a pinch of liberalism.

I think he's Blair-like, spinning here and there, keeping some things quiet, and just making sure he gets there. Now the proof of the pudding is in the eating, because many people, huge numbers of black Americans and people sick of the Bush years are expecting something. Wouldn't it be nice if he did succeed at making some good changes? Let's be positive for a moment.

I mean McCaine wasn't even planning to sort out the healthcare mess, and was hopelessly confused in message on Iraq.

All that guff about victory.

No one wins an insurgency in another country. You help them win peace for them selves.

Quote: Bad dog @ November 5 2008, 10:41 AM GMT

Wouldn't it be nice if he did succeed at making some good changes? Let's be positive for a moment.

He's already achieved something by not being George Bush. Bush made it far too easy for the rest of the world to hate Americans. Obama hasn't got that hatability.

So when does Obama start work in the White House?

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 10:48 AM GMT

He's already achieved something by not being George Bush. Bush made it far too easy for the rest of the world to hate Americans. Obama hasn't got that hatability.

Yes, can't disagree there!

Quote: Winterlight @ November 5 2008, 10:51 AM GMT

So when does Obama start work in the White House?

January 20

That long? Shocking.

Obama seems like a genuinely good guy who makes a lot of sense. Let's hope the assassination attempts don't come too soon.

There were those skinheads who wanted to give it a go, but they were afraid of dogs:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/1248719,skinheads-barack-obama-assassination102908.article

Quote: dingo @ November 5 2008, 11:44 AM GMT

There were those skinheads who wanted to give it a go, but they were afraid of dogs:

http://www.suntimes.com/news/elections/1248719,skinheads-barack-obama-assassination102908.article

I just can't imagine the KKK or some Southern Redneck racist group not wanting a pop at the first black prez. It's very sad. Apparently Colin Powell decided against running for office because of that very reason.

I hope I'm wrong though

Quote: NickTheDon @ November 5 2008, 6:10 AM GMT

Obama's victory speech was great too, it reminded me a lot of Martin Luther King's I Have A Dream speech, with all the 'Yes We Can'. I do wish we had politicians over here that could give speeches like him.

I flipping don't. I'd rather my politicians were of substance and conviction than swish and style. And yes, that means Gordon Brown over Tony Blair.

Quote: Bad dog @ November 5 2008, 10:41 AM GMT

I think he's Blair-like, spinning here and there, keeping some things quiet, and just making sure he gets there.

:)

Quote: sootyj @ November 5 2008, 10:43 AM GMT

McCaine

Jesus sooty, have you once got his name right? McCain. No 'e'. Just McCain.

Quote: chipolata @ November 5 2008, 10:48 AM GMT

Give it a year.

Quote: Aaron @ November 5 2008, 12:04 PM GMT

I flipping don't. I'd rather my politicians were of substance and conviction than swish and style. And yes, that means Gordon Brown over Tony Blair.

I wouldn't be surprised if Obama is as surprised as anyone else that his campaign ended up winning the White House based on where it started 2 years back. I imagine he threw his name into the mix hoping to just get better known, aiming at a future run at the Presidency. Hell if it didn't take off and end here.

What I mean is, he won, give him a chance to prove himself. No sense in labeling him as all flash before he has a chance to exhibit some substance.

Quote: Lee Henman @ November 5 2008, 11:49 AM GMT

I just can't imagine the KKK or some Southern Redneck racist group not wanting a pop at the first black prez. It's very sad. Apparently Colin Powell decided against running for office because of that very reason.

I hope I'm wrong though

4-star general
35 years in uniform
Wounded in combat
Vietnam
Gulf War
Secretary of State

I kinda doubt he'd be so afraid of an assassin's bullet that he'd shy away from serving as president. I'd assume it all comes down to his dislike for politics.