News on Life on Mars in North America? Page 3

I thought Harvey Keitel was looking a bit on the old side. When he punched Sam I was worried he might shatter his wrists.

Also seemed like a bad idea to me to drop the differences between the modern and seventies policing - that was kind of the point of the series.

Dropping the differences between modern and seventies policing???

You've got to be kidding me?

Why do Americans always go for the easiest and least effective option?

Quote: Phill @ October 10 2008, 1:12 PM BST

Also seemed like a bad idea to me to drop the differences between the modern and seventies policing - that was kind of the point of the series.

I thought they touched on that. There was the morgue scene where the 70s cops hadn't bothered to read the post-mortem file, the profiling scene that got Hunt frustrated, the kicking in the door without a warrant. I'm sure it will bring in more as the run continues. I was just glad they didn't try to overstuff it what with the 13 minutes less time.

It's ominous that David Kelley dropped out of this.

Quote: dingo @ October 10 2008, 7:25 PM BST

I thought they touched on that. There was the morgue scene where the 70s cops hadn't bothered to read the post-mortem file, the profiling scene that got Hunt frustrated, the kicking in the door without a warrant. I'm sure it will bring in more as the run continues. I was just glad they didn't try to overstuff it what with the 13 minutes less time.

Yeah, touched but didn't really go into it too much. Maybe they will bring it in more throughout the series; but it seems quite an important element to me and maybe should have been more upfront to begin with. I'd have liked to have seen more stuff about Sam in the present first off - show how police procedures and red tape stops him doing his job properly so wishing himself back to the seventies makes a bit more sense.

I tell you what else I find weird - in the English version Sam's a little guy who's dwarfed by these chunky seventies men's men. As if the pre-requisite for a cop then was being a physically imposing guy who can smack people around. In the US version Sam towers over everyone else and is much more muscular than the short, fat seventies cops. Just seems a bit odd to me.

Quote: Phill @ October 10 2008, 1:12 PM BST

I thought Harvey Keitel was looking a bit on the old side. When he punched Sam I was worried he might shatter his wrists.

Yes I was very disappointed when I saw Harvey Keitel in that role. I wanted someone in their 40's or something not on the verge of death. The character Gene Hunt says he's in his late 30s at one point in the show. That casting really annoyed me.

I just saw the trailer for this, I think it's the guy from Layer Cake (that ironically plays Gene in Layer Cake) that is taking the 'Gene' role in Life On Mars USA. I think he is totally convincing in the role.

It's an abomination.

Too stylish, he's told you he's in a coma, as subtle as geting hit with a truck. Bloody yanks.