News on Life on Mars in North America? Page 2

Who would want an Air? I thought I would help you out since I thought the same thing at first until my fiancee watched the video and said "I could really use a computer like that".
1. She travels constantly. A light and thin computer that is also durable. She can take it on a plane, pull it out for a meeting when notes are needed or do a quick set up for a Powerpoint presentation. Everything she needs is right there.
2. She has a G5 at home and a PC at work. This is not meant to be her primary computer this is meant for convenience. I use a Macbook Pro and I can't remember the last time I ever needed my DVD drive for anything outside of my home. Hence it's just not that important any longer with USB.
As an example...7 or 8 years ago when I bought a Powermac G4 they told me "Zip drives are no longer part of the package" so I went and purchased an external thinking Zips wouldn't get put out to pasture for a long time. As you all know...I was very wrong..and waisted my money because I only used it for about a year.

Well, fair enough I suppose. Although it's not quite like there's never been a laptop before which can be quickly set up for a presentation or to make notes or whathaveyou!

But still, there are far better options for the price. No sane person can possibly defend the price of that machine. It's just plain wrong.

Quote: Aaron @ February 9, 2008, 12:37 PM

Well, fair enough I suppose. Although it's not quite like there's never been a laptop before which can be quickly set up for a presentation or to make notes or whathaveyou!

But still, there are far better options for the price. No sane person can possibly defend the price of that machine. It's just plain wrong.

Well, no, actually there aren't - that's the point. The 'Air' is in a class of its own. There isn't another notebook that's a thin and powerful. And it has a full size back-lit keyboard. I wouldn't buy one, but i hate mobile computers.

Curt do you have a normal standalone DVD player? Cos most DVD players can be *looks to see if the fuzz are about* cracked so that they can play any DVD.

Robyn's around! :O

Quote: ajp29 @ February 9, 2008, 4:20 PM

Curt do you have a normal standalone DVD player? Cos most DVD players can be *looks to see if the fuzz are about* cracked so that they can play any DVD.

Yes I have converted my DVD player to world so that I can play a few other UK dvd's, but thanks for the tip either way. I'm actually going to have to go out soon and pick up a new DVD to play Region 1 DVD's because the transformation to world messed up my DVD player and it will often freeze now. I was also hoping to share the awesomeness that is Life on Mars with a few friends who I know won't change DVD player codes.

That's the only trouble with getting a very expensive DivX-friendly DVD recorder - I've not been able to find a region hack yet! :(

Quote: Godot Taxis @ February 9, 2008, 1:03 PM

Well, no, actually there aren't - that's the point. The 'Air' is in a class of its own. There isn't another notebook that's a thin and powerful. And it has a full size back-lit keyboard. I wouldn't buy one, but i hate mobile computers.

"Thin and powerful?" - It has a 4200rpm HDD (which is 80GB), I find loading times on normal laptops annoying and slow - nevermind losing another 1000rpm.

"Class of it's own?" - Thin laptops have been around for ages, they have been making themm thin from the year dot.

"Full size back-lit keyboard" - Wowzer...

Check it out. The new Life on Mars American version will be out (in the US) this coming month. Here is a pick and description. You can find it under "Top 10 Most Anticipated Shows".

Quote: Curt @ February 9 2008, 12:31 PM GMT

Who would want an Air? I thought I would help you out since I thought the same thing at first until my fiancee watched the video and said "I could really use a computer like that".
1. She travels constantly. A light and thin computer that is also durable. She can take it on a plane, pull it out for a meeting when notes are needed or do a quick set up for a Powerpoint presentation. Everything she needs is right there.
2. She has a G5 at home and a PC at work. This is not meant to be her primary computer this is meant for convenience. I use a Macbook Pro and I can't remember the last time I ever needed my DVD drive for anything outside of my home. Hence it's just not that important any longer with USB.
As an example...7 or 8 years ago when I bought a Powermac G4 they told me "Zip drives are no longer part of the package" so I went and purchased an external thinking Zips wouldn't get put out to pasture for a long time. As you all know...I was very wrong..and waisted my money because I only used it for about a year.

Toshiba make a computer as powerful lighter, and only slightly thicker.

I'm more interested in these light weights you can get for 200 squids.

Can they really allow me to check my e-mail and do word documents?

Basically with my dyslexia I want a sort of fat Blackberry/iphone that I can word process on and stick in my rucksack and forget about.

Which will have a bigger screen and keyboard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GBHvkoDnOE

Them Colonials aren't always fans of subtelty are they?

That said it's got Chief O'Brian which can only be a good thing.

Quote: sootyj @ September 3 2008, 6:19 AM BST

I'm more interested in these light weights you can get for 200 squids.

Can they really allow me to check my e-mail and do word documents?

Yes.

Quote: Curt @ September 3 2008, 4:05 AM BST

Check it out. The new Life on Mars American version will be out (in the US) this coming month.

The first episode leaked on the Internet a few months ago, but I only watched the first 3 minutes. Seemed like an exact copy of the original, but without the charm. The Office was the same way, but it eventually acquired a life of its own. Maybe LoM will do the same.

Really? Cool do you know were a guy could find this leaked episode? :)

Quote: DaButt @ September 3 2008, 2:51 PM BST

The first episode leaked on the Internet a few months ago, but I only watched the first 3 minutes. Seemed like an exact copy of the original, but without the charm. The Office was the same way, but it eventually acquired a life of its own. Maybe LoM will do the same.

Was this the one with Colm Meaney, as it's been revamped since then. They moved it to New York and Harvey Keitel is Gene Hunt now.

I just watched the revamped pilot of LoM USA and, man, it was way better than the pilot leaked a while back. They did have to cut some material, since ABC only has 47 minutes of air compared to BBC.

Since it will go for 22 episodes or so this season, they seem to plan on bringing Gene Hunt along more slowly. They also dropped Annie's psychologist friend and the rooftop conversation, replacing it with a scene where Sam nearly pulls a gun on the child version of Colin Raimes to kill him (quite a good moment). There was also not as much "this is how we did it where I came from", obviously also for time.

I'm optimistic.