I think we've upset someone Page 22

Real Name? Pseudonym? Does anyone care? Is it that important? Are we writing love letters or something?

The internet is very anonymous, but...

Wait, what has this got to do with writing?

Quote: Winterlight @ October 9 2008, 10:28 AM BST

Real Name? Pseudonym? Does anyone care? Is it that important? Are we writing love letters or something?

The internet is very anonymous, but...

Wait, what has this got to do with writing?

Grow some balls, Johansson.

*considers going searching on Internet for amusing picture of Scarlett Johansson with balls but decides against*

Quote: David Bussell @ October 9 2008, 10:12 AM BST

I should qualify that I was talking about pseudonyms in regards to writers (this is the writers part of the forum after all). I get that some writers feel the need to protect their privacy but I think some do it in order to be able to behave a certain way without fear of reprisal. That's just cowardice in my view. That's not to say that honesty is about praising something undeservedly, I just believe that writers should (if at all possible) be held accountable for the statements they make. If it's worth saying, say it as a person, not an avatar.

Okay, I see what you mean and kind of agree. Although I have yet to observe the hiding behind a pseudonym while slagging off other people's work phenomenon on this here board.

Quote: Finck @ October 9 2008, 10:44 AM BST

Okay, I see what you mean and kind of agree. Although I have yet to observe the hiding behind a pseudonym while slagging off other people's work phenomenon on this here board.

Yeah, what she said.

I'm surprised anyone at the BBC is surprised that aspiring writers are frustrated and bitter. I was told by an informed source that even the BBC didn't want to make some of their latest 'star vehicles' but 'name' actors and writers are still names and so they get the go ahead anyway.

This sort of thing gives rise to the distinct impression that the BBC is a closed shop and they would rather recommission failing shows than take a chance on new scripts by unknowns.

I'm mentioning no names here, but I'm sure we can all think of shows with bad reviews and worse ratings that have returned, leaving us all wondering why.

Having been potentially threatened with prospective legal action today over obviously innocuous comments made on this site about a BBC writer, I personally no longer give a f**k for deference. I received a threatening and legally unsubstantiated (nor according to my solicitor) anything less than an intimadatory and "novice"-type threat, with no legal basis.

I pay 2 licence fees to the BBC. I may be a bit of wanker (trust me, you can say what you want, I won't dream of legal action) but I don't expect any special consideration.

I may f**k-up my comedy writing career, but I'd rather do it on principal, than the slow slide downwards from never having had a decent idea beyond sexual gags in my life. I spend my "real-life" doing some great stuff in the real world. Showbusiness is far too self-obsessed, however ironically and post-modern the guys involved in it thesedays think it is.

I recall the thread. You'd think people might be more grown-up about these things.

Quote: Timbo @ October 14 2008, 12:11 AM BST

I recall the thread. You'd think people might be more grown-up about these things.

Exactly, I'm being sued by Bob Block from 'Rentaghost' What a bastard!

Quote: Tim Walker @ October 14 2008, 12:19 AM BST

Exactly, I'm being sued by Bob Block from 'Rentaghost' What a bastard!

Careful Tim! Many a jest...

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 14 2008, 12:21 AM BST

And no, I don't think we're talking about Bob Block.

He is a bit of a slapper though.

I'd love a name like 'Bob Block'. And 'Rentaghost' was one of the highlights of my childhood. On the other hand [name witheld from now for no serious legal reason, though I guess we'd probably make good-f**k through the hate and vomit]... they're lovely too. Isn't it all lovely? Everthing and everyone is lovely. I'm the cancer and I will find a cure. :)

Quote: Graham Bandage @ October 14 2008, 12:21 AM BST

Are you sure it's not a pisstake, Tim?

Good possibility. The internet is full of strange people (don't we all know). Wouldn't they have written to Aaron as well if it was genuine, to get the "offending" piece removed as a first step?

Noel Edmounds is a tit.

Without caring, no it's the "real thing". I told Aaron and Mark, who were lovely, hence the "long dark [and slightly drunken] night of the soul" thread about S is no longer there. Passed onto to M. (whom I really like, but probably dislikes me now) and the solicitors. (I prefer to berate people who offend me with a drunken diabtrive alone in my own little room at 4 in the morning. Cheaper than a solicitor.)

Swear it's true.