Can the Americans really do comedy? Page 13

Maybe it's an Empire thing then.

The Americans f**ked off far too long ago to still have our positive effects.

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 11:54 AM BST

Why, I do declare that Tommy is a genius ponce.

Or at least knows how to make it sound like he is.

Huh?

David, it's all a matter of taste, of course. But in my estimation, as The Office was originally British (and although the US version is quite different), it cannot be grouped along with the other US sitcoms. I feel there is a strong argument that The Office is in large part a transposition of UK humour to the States. The Simpsons is the best US sitcom I've seen (and SouthPark and Family Guy push the boundaries), but it interests me that the three most progressive and politically incorrect US productions I've seen don't use physical actors...

Re. UK sitcom: my experience of UK productions post-millenium have been really positive. Peep Show, I agree, is the pick. But you're forgetting quality programmes like 15 Storeys High, The [Original] Office, Black Books, The IT Crowd, Darkplace, The Boosh (shoot me), Coupling, etc etc... Plus some underappreciated gems like Rob Brydon's Anually Retentive and (a contraversial pick p'raps) Nathan Barley.

I could not name as many US sitcoms that I actually find amusing, and I bet I could name a hell of a lot more US failures than UK ones. Which is surprising as the US has five times your population. But the world would be a boring place without divergent tastes, I suppose. :)

I'd be interested to see a proper rundown of hit/miss in the UK and US sitcom markets. I expect that the percentage and balance would be much the same.

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 3:28 PM BST

I'd be interested to see a proper rundown of hit/miss in the UK and US sitcom markets. I expect that the percentage and balance would be much the same.

You mean Americans have lower standards? ;)

Quote: Tommy Power @ September 27 2008, 3:31 PM BST

I've said this before in other threads but I also think British comedies get a longer chance to prove themselves. If you live in North America you watch when the new shows start and stop after 1 or 2 episodes.
In the UK they seem to get a lot more of a chance. They get (what seem to me) to be 6 episodes, while in the US if they can't crack the market in two episodes they're finished.
Canada has the same thing as the UK market (now at least). They give shows a season to prove themselves. It seems to be working a lot better now as we have more home grown shows being made. The downside is I think a lot of the shows that are catching on are non offensive crap (aka Little Mosque on the Prairies), while UK are turning out both. But then again you guys have a lot more $$$$ being put into television. :)

Quote: Tommy Power @ September 27 2008, 3:31 PM BST

No. Not sure where you got that from. Although the wink does indicate a jovial nature.

But no, I meant that they have a much higher output, so it's fairly no-shit-Sherlock that they'd have more bad/unpopular/cancelled shows than we do. But to put it in ratio to the 'good' ones, and I suspect our countries would be more or less equal.

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2008, 4:33 PM BST

But then again you guys have a lot more $$$$ being put into television. :)

Well, a lot less $$$$ and a lot more ££££. ;)

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 4:47 PM BST

Well, a lot less $$$$ and a lot more ££££. ;)

>_< I don't even know how to make the pounds symbol on my keyboard.

Aw. What's on your number 3 key?
We have the dollar on number 4.

Quote: zooo @ September 27 2008, 4:53 PM BST

Aw. What's on your number 3 key?
We have the dollar on number 4.

# = 3

§ = 3

:)

Our number three is the number sign: # Here is a link to what our keyboard looks like if you were curious.
Just checked it's Alt 3.

Quote: Aaron @ September 27 2008, 4:47 PM BST

No. Not sure where you got that from. Although the wink does indicate a jovial nature.

But no, I meant that they have a much higher output, so it's fairly no-shit-Sherlock that they'd have more bad/unpopular/cancelled shows than we do. But to put it in ratio to the 'good' ones, and I suspect our countries would be more or less equal.

I was wondering who judges what is "good" and "bad". I suspect an average American audience would consider US comedy superior, and an average British audience would think the opposite. It might be hard to work out a ratio of "good" ones if "good" cannot be easily defined.

But 'twas sort of jovial, yerp.

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2008, 5:07 PM BST

Our number three is the number sign: # Here is a link to what our keyboard looks like if you were curious.
Just checked it's Alt 3.

Edit...oooo you guys are quick. To much time researching. :)

Quote: Finck @ September 27 2008, 5:05 PM BST

§ = 3

:)

Eh? How often does "§" come up in Word usage? The section key?

Finck, have you got the "B" (ss) thing on your keyboard?

Quote: Curt @ September 27 2008, 5:07 PM BST

Our number three is the number sign: #

Hash key. Mmmm hash....