Catherine Tate on comedy writing

It is, as you might expect, not terribly helpful:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2008/sep/22/comedy.catherinetate

Her writing involves this process:

Funny accent + funny wig + inappropriately rude trait = comedy gold.

Funny accent + funny wig + inappropriately rude trait = Repetitive shite.

Don't forget (how could you both?) catchphrases galore!

Also, those very clever observational skills she has. I mean how many of us can honestly say we're unfamiliar with that obnoxious Lauren character?

From the final paragraph:

"So I suppose what I'm saying is I don't feel in a position to give advice about writing because, technically, I don't consider myself a writer."

That was a waste of two minutes, then. But I suppose Griff did warn me.

I was watching her show, the other day, and I was thinking, that sketch she does in the road-side burger van, is the most pointless, annoying sketch I've ever seen. Isn't it just another version of that Mark Williams Fast show sketch, in which he used to say "...which was nice"?

Plebs, morons and couch potatoes love it, and as they are 90% of the TV audience.. "artists" like Ms. Tate are king! She is the Benny Hill of the 2000's without any of his class.

Enough of the Tate slagging, fellas, she's only written the into. The rest is by Richard Herring.

Yes, indeed, the bulk of the comedy writing guide - published today - is by Richard Herring with additional content from the likes of David Nobbs, Josie Long, David Mitchell and Robert Webb.

God knows why they got Catherine Tate to write the intro, it dumbs down an otherwise very interesting and useful guide...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/series/howtowrite

Yep, just bought my copy and looking forward to reading it at lunchtime. (Didn't originally realise it was going to contain features from several writers.)

Quote: Mark @ September 22 2008, 10:33 AM BST

God knows why they got Catherine Tate to write the intro, it dumbs down an otherwise very interesting and useful guide...

Dare I be cynical and suggest that Catherine Tate writing the intro is a mere marketing ploy, i.e. slap her name on anything and it's going to sell more?

Yeah but this is the Guardian, not OK! magazine?

Dare I be even more cynical and suggest that the marketing trick here relies on the old truth that outrage travels faster than benevolence? Seems to have worked, eh?

Had a quick look at it before. According to Richard Herring, "There are plenty of sketch shows on radio and TV that invite outside contributions." Excellent news, I think we all agree.

*Waits for Tilt to come round again*