Why are the Yanks funnier than us Brits? Page 4

Quote: Leevil @ June 11, 2007, 2:15 PM

But from them examples the actors and comedians went off and did many other great things over the years, up until now, when we will find the next base of British talent.

Reality TV fading out?!! That's all that's on nowadays, Big Brother, that Grease Is The Word crap, Any Dream Will Do, Britians Got Talent, Apprentice and there all on currently. And as soon as those finish they'll be new ones staring like I'm A Celeb Get Me Out Of Here and Ballroom Dancing..etc. Reality TV isnt fading unfortunately.

What TV needs is more drama and comedy. Unfortunately, dunderheads only watch reality tv because they're too stupid to understand anything with a story in it. Unless, of course, it's something at their level like Bad Girls or Footballer's Wives.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 11, 2007, 3:33 PM

Reality TV fading out?!! That's all that's on nowadays, Big Brother, that Grease Is The Word crap, Any Dream Will Do, Britians Got Talent, Apprentice and there all on currently. And as soon as those finish they'll be new ones staring like I'm A Celeb Get Me Out Of Here and Ballroom Dancing..etc. Reality TV isnt fading unfortunately.

I don't consider talent shows reality tv, what's so reality based about performing a talent? They've been around for years and don't bother me, it's the "talentless" wannabes that bring down television, modern culture and society.

Big brother, 24 hour based shows are reality shows. They are fading out, very slowly, but they are, trust me.

Quote: Leevil @ June 11, 2007, 3:54 PM

I don't consider talent shows reality tv, what's so reality based about performing a talent? They've been around for years and don't bother me, it's the "talentless" wannabes that bring down television, modern culture and society.

Big brother, 24 hour based shows are reality shows. They are fading out, very slowly, but they are, trust me.

Exactly. calling talent shows reality TV is just bizarre. Opportunity knocks was hardly classed as a reality show when it was broadcast.

BB after the racism lark is losing ratings. Celeb Love Island and Get Me Out Of Here both had failed series last time around. However, The Aprrentice viewership is rising, because not anyone can do it and all the contestants are potential millinoaires (through business not press). So reality TV is in the decline i think.

What this country needs is the likes of Shameless, Life On Mars, Doctor Who, Skins, and for heaven's sake, BRING BACK TEACHERS!

Yeah okay talent shows are not exactly reality TV but they're just a bad. Although I do like Big Brother so I guess that makes me a 'dunderhead' whatever that is...but if the alternative is 'Skins' then I'll stick with Big Brother thanks :)

I'm actually watching Big Brother, so I can't complain, but if it were to finish, all reality shows, I wouldn't miss them.

I'm also watching Britians Got Talent, as I would the auditions round in X-Factor.

But at the end of the day I'd prefer to watch quality written drama and comedy.

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 11, 2007, 6:35 PM

Although I do like Big Brother so I guess that makes me a 'dunderhead' whatever that is...

A "dunderhead" is a very common word for "idiot", "plonker", "moron", "pillack", "fool", "prat", "wally", "dipstick","space case", "div" or "jackass".

Let me know if it's confusing.

Quote: Leevil @ June 11, 2007, 6:44 PM

I'm actually watching Big Brother, so I can't complain, but if it were to finish, all reality shows, I wouldn't miss them.

I'm also watching Britians Got Talent, as I would the auditions round in X-Factor.

But at the end of the day I'd prefer to watch quality written drama and comedy.

Yeah true, I'd easliy give up Big Brother if we was guaranteed great comedy and drama in its place.

Quote: Dave @ June 11, 2007, 7:49 PM

A "dunderhead" is a very common word for "idiot", "plonker", "moron", "pillack", "fool", "prat", "wally", "dipstick","space case", "div" or "jackass".

Let me know if it's confusing.

Never heard of it before. :)

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 11, 2007, 8:56 PM

Yeah true, I'd easliy give up Big Brother if we was guaranteed great comedy and drama in its place.

Never heard of it before. :)

I heard it on Dibley! :D Geraldine said it to Alice, and let's face it, she is a dunderhead (probably the one and only - apart from Trigger!)

And when I said, "Let me know if it's confusing", there was meant to be a smiley face next to it, but the face didn't come up - it does now! - so it might have sounded harsh and serious, when it was a only a little light-heartedness! :) I'm gonna litter my posts with those face thingys now!

:D

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 11, 2007, 6:35 PM

Yeah okay talent shows are not exactly reality TV but they're just a bad. Although I do like Big Brother so I guess that makes me a 'dunderhead' whatever that is...but if the alternative is 'Skins' then I'll stick with Big Brother thanks :)

You just didn't get it because you aren't young like me. :)

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 11, 2007, 2:21 PM

Well that right there is ridiculous. To say "nothing to do with story" and then use Seinfeld as an example shows your complete ignorance to Seinfeld which is the top story sitcom, the show thrives on its plots, its not a gag-led sitcom it is very much run by its intricate plots and storytelling which makes it brilliant.

Also a list of US shows from the last few years that have been brilliant and/or good. Arrested Development, The Office US, The Sarah Silverman Programme, Reno 911!, My Name Is Earl, Scrubs, It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, New Adventures Of Old Christine and there's probably more I can't think of right now.

fair enough - maybe I am a bit prejudiced. But I saw Charley's huge Vagina and wasn't impressed.

Quote: Walker @ June 11, 2007, 9:46 PM

You just didn't get it because you aren't young like me. :)

I'm 18.

Quote: David Chapman @ June 11, 2007, 10:00 PM

fair enough - maybe I am a bit prejudiced. But I saw Charley's huge Vagina and wasn't impressed.

Huh? Laughing out loud

Quote: Baumski @ June 11, 2007, 10:26 AM

OK, so we're all really offended by the 'N' word...

Speak for yourself! :P

Quote: David Chapman @ June 11, 2007, 10:00 PM

But I saw Charley's huge Vagina and wasn't impressed.

Chuff like a wizard's sleeve.

Quote: Dave @ June 11, 2007, 3:40 PM

What TV needs is more drama and comedy. Unfortunately, dunderheads only watch reality tv because they're too stupid to understand anything with a story in it. Unless, of course, it's something at their level like Bad Girls or Footballer's Wives.

You've just described ITV1, and indeed about 90% of the population who live north of Watford (cliché).

Quote: Martin Holmes @ June 11, 2007, 10:25 PM

I'm 18.

... Oh well :(