Russia's declared war Page 4

Darn, it would appear that I did. Well, yaaaaaaaaay me! *claps and cheers and stuff*

CNN's Breaking News: Georgian parliament approves President Mikhail Saakashvili's request for a state of war, Georgian officials say.

At least it's official now.

I blame those damn commies!

Georgians are claiming the Russians are targeting the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan oil pipeline, which of course is what this is all about, energy security, and why it matters to Western interests.

Yep. Europeans who think it's an unimportant conflict far, far away should be at least a little concerned about the pipeline.

What's this? :O An American educating Europeans in geography and politics? :P

I jape Da Butt. And you're right, btw. It seems to be the pipeline on their Christmas list.

Every time I check the news it seems to be getting worse - http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7554507.stm

If they start screwing with the oil pipelines, appocalypse here we come.

I felt sorry for that Georgian ship that got sunk. Poor guys trying to defend their port from the Black Sea Fleet. All they had was two little gun boats. Brave though.

I managed to miss that one. It's a pretty shocking situation.

Isnt it exactly the same as Iraq but it not us involved.

Quote: Gavin @ August 11 2008, 11:14 PM BST

Not really, no.

Quote: Aaron @ August 11 2008, 11:15 PM BST

Not really, no.

Killing for oil seems same to me.

Well to put it lightly.

The thing is as oil, gas, fresh water, arrable land etc run out these conflcits are going to grow for control of scarce resources.

It'll never be the war over oil or grain.

It'll be a stupid conflcit over borders, pushed by nervous super powers to prove they can't be pushed around.

Expect to see China make a play for Taiwan and the Spratley Isles in 10 years.

Quote: Gavin @ August 11 2008, 11:14 PM BST

Closer to the Falklands war.

Quote: Gavin @ August 11 2008, 11:16 PM BST

Killing for oil seems same to me.

No matter whether one believes that Iraq's oil reserves were the reason for that war, there was a (supposedly nice) side-effect in that Saddam Hussein was removed from power. But Georgia doesn't have an evil religious nut-wank dictator, as far as I'm aware.

Plus, Katie Melua is Georgian. I hope her family are ok. :(

Quote: Aaron @ August 11 2008, 11:20 PM BST

No matter whether one believes that Iraq's oil reserves were the reason for that war, there was a (supposedly nice) side-effect in that Saddam Hussein was removed from power. But Georgia doesn't have an evil religious nut-wank dictator, as far as I'm aware.

Africa does. No tank rolling in there.