Summer Heights High Page 7

Quote: Eggie @ August 6 2008, 1:06 AM BST

With people who can't even breakdance, even.

You jest. :O

Quote: sootyj @ August 6 2008, 1:06 AM BST

Don't you wince when US actors play Brits as stupid, effete, whimps?

I know I do.

See, this is the difference between you and me. You see characters as representing anyone and anything of that background. I just see an individual character.

(The only think which makes me wince are their accents and attempts at slang.)

I see characters with in their social context.

And of course Jonah isn't inteneded as an every Polynesian character.

He's jsut a very negative stereotype of a downtrodden people, played by a white actor for laughs.

It's one thing to be excluded, it's another to be insulted whislt it happens.

I loath the attitude of the privilleged majority, of lets all share a laugh.

Even if it's mainly aimed at you.

It beats writers writing about writers and actors playing actors.
I'm really growing to resent that trend in comedy. I'm glad someone challenged themselves.

Alot of the best stuff is collabarative, actors, writers working together.

e.g. Curb you enthusiasim.

Ahhhhh, you mean the show with the exclusivly white, jewish cast.
That's under representation, my friend... and you find it funny... and...Maybe Larry David is racist... or maybe... he isn't and...

Yeah...

1:30 Am is generally the point where I lose my lustre for arguing.
You win. Chris Illey is a racist monster.
Good night.

Quote: Eggie @ August 6 2008, 1:34 AM BST

He is a Jew. What else do you expect?

Quote: Eggie @ August 6 2008, 1:34 AM BST

That's under representation, my friend... and you find it funny... and...Maybe Larry David is racist... or maybe... he isn't and...

Yeah...

1:30 Am is generally the point where I lose my lustre for arguing.
You win. Chris Illey is a racist monster.
Good night.

Both silly and offensive. I never said he was a racist monster, merely questioned some of his techniques.

And with Curb I was reffering to the techniques. How about Desmonds which was also more of a collabarative effort?

You can like something, and still question it. Chris Lilley will neither be arrested, nor drop dead becuase I dislike white actors blacking up.

Jim Davidson, Brown, and Mugabe seem in rude health despite my dislike of them.

Quote: Aaron @ August 6 2008, 1:41 AM BST

He is a Jew. What else do you expect?

That's quite rare to have an all Jewish cast (not even Yentl), were to busy running the banks, the world gouvernments and ensuring all UK sitcoms are inferior to every one elses (including the French), to appear in all Jew casts.

Long live ZOG!

My auntie Edna was an extra in Yentl. And she's not Jewish.

She jsut never told you.

Weren't the thick beard, sidelocks, and circumcised penis a give away?

If she was Jewish, her children would have been more successful. They filmed a bit on a ferry on the river Mersey and a number of scousers had to dress up as refugees and suchlike as background artistes.

*sets up Aaron for easy joke*

Either it's still really early (I've only been awake about 10 minutes), or that's a film reference of some kind.

Quote: sootyj @ August 6 2008, 12:47 AM BST

I don't know what he thinks.

Blacking up was one of the most insidious techniques in comedy, I think you bring it back at one's peril.

It also says that he doesn't think that Polynesian comedians can represent them selves.

There's more than one way to reveal a truth.

I have no problem with people blacking up in things, as long as it's not to be racist. Why shouldn't he? It's a character he has written and wants to play. It's a sort of soft PC thing to feel unease or guilt or whatever when you watch a show like this and see him browned up. I can't say it even crossed my mind that it could be taken as risky or racist. If he was forced not to play the character, then I think we would have a problem.

My argument condensed to one paragraph. Well said, Matthew. Particularly on the fourth and fifth sentences.

The whole problem is it doesn't cross your mind......

I guess the world really turns in circles, come back Minstrel Show all is forgiven.