TILT - topical Radio 7 comedy Page 19

Well done guys!

Just a big thanks to Dave Cohen on behalf of everyone (said the self-appointed spokesman!); it's great to get feedback from 'within'. I think that's the hardest thing for non-commissioned writers as we never find out what's right or wrong with stuff. Some positive feedback coming out is very encouraging for us all.

Dan

Yeah, I hope this leads to other opportunities now we've got stuff on.

Has this show finished now?

Last week is this week. Deadline is 3pm tomorrow, not Tuesday this time.

Dan

Right, emailed some sketches off tonight and a couple of quickies are looking good for this week at present, so fingers crossed.

I thanked the team for giving us this opportunity -- again, self-appointed spokesperson for comedy sketch-writers everywhere (good and bad branch) -- and the producer was kind enough to get back to me to say that:
'the hope is that Tilt will eventually have two 13-week long runs a year and act as a breeding ground for other shows... but that depends on the funding... so write in to BBC7 and tell them what a great show it is.'

Good point to noted here, is that if they get enough good feedback about it maybe it'll be a shoo-in for another (and many more) series. As up-and-coming (or down-and-going) writers I think we need this sort of thing, and it's a chance for us to 'make our own luck'. So if you get a chance after this last episode is broadcast, it may be worth finding five or ten minutes to send in an email praising the show (and praising BBC7's commitment to new writing talent probably wouldn't go amiss either!)

It has got better since the first couple of episodes after finding its feet (a fact she did acknowledge) as can be seen not only from the improving reaction on this thread but also some people are being won over on the BBC7 Comedy Discussion Board, which has won 'Most Cynical Place in Cyberspace' Awards for three years running...

Play & Record (my own personal broadcast-writing debut last year) is definitely back later in the year. I'm assuming this will be done similarly to last year's scheme for open submissions.

Good news all round I think.

Dan

Quote: swerytd @ April 27 2008, 5:16 PM BST

Last week is this week. Deadline is 3pm tomorrow, not Tuesday this time.

Dan

Dan, where did you hear tomorrow was the deadline? I was planning to write some stuff tomorrow evening, and on the Chortle Forums Victoria said this weeks deadline was Tuesday at 3pm as always.

I got an e-mail, but I wouldn't worry too much they usually send a second email asking for more stuff.

Yeah, the 'last minute' deadline is now Tuesday at 5pm (note it's a bit later than normal).

Dan

I'd heard by this time last week, so I assume my two suggestions didn't make the cut this week. Oh well.

I'm still going to listen in tonight, so anybody else get anything I should listen out for on the last show in the series?

The Dutch Ambassador phone call (about the smells over London).

I was successful with my first submission to Tilt, and was clearly lulled into a mistaken impression that this comedy writing malarky is a piece of cake.

Oh how wrong I was...

From euphoria to paralysing self-doubt in the space of seven days. Not bad going...

Well JunkMales are on again, with a few nearly rans (and one VERY unfortunate as she loved the sketch but kind of clashed with one the core team did).

Well done! Which is your sketch?

I have got a couple on too.

Good news from my point of view. I've been writing some material form "Tilt". I've tried to write sketches since the second episode. I thought I wasn't going to get anything.

But I've just got an email telling me that one of my sketches is going to be used!