Super Bands Of Old Page 5

Quote: David Chapman @ April 13 2008, 7:36 PM BST

What's a gymn?

A gym is a place where you go to feel depressed, tired and you pay £23 a month for the pleasure.

And no it's not a night with Charley.

(Sorry Charley, love our nights really)

Quote: Paul W @ April 13 2008, 7:29 PM BST

Agreed, I enjoy a variety of music and find myself listening to Hip Hop and R&B but I do NOT own a pair of Nike trainers.

Neither do I find tracksuit bottoms something suitable to wear outside the gym.

Most of the stuff that's been branded as R&B, over the last 25 years, has been pretty poor, compared to the original stuff. Amy Winehouse deserves a lot of credit, for bringing the old style back. Thanks to her, record labels now seem to be clamouring to sign similar artists.

Quote: Nigel Kelly @ April 13 2008, 7:30 PM BST

I liked early 90's daisy age hip hop. De La Soul, Jungle Bros, A Tribe Called Quest, Dream Warriors, Arrested Development, etc. Public Enemy were awesome but my fave hip hop track is 'Mr Dobelina' by Del Tha Funkee Homosapien.

Aah, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien!! Now I know you were a real Hip hop fan! He's a legend, and he's still going strong, after releasing his amazing solo album, back in '91. By the way, did you know he is Ice Cube's cousin? It's funny, because his music is the complete antithesis of Ice Cube's. The other groups you mentioned are all great as well. 'Done by the Forces of Nature', by the Jungle Brothers, is one of my all-time favourite albums.

Quote: Paul W @ April 13 2008, 7:29 PM BST

Neither do I find tracksuit bottoms something suitable to wear outside the gym.

Laughing out loud

Quote: Paul W @ April 13 2008, 7:40 PM BST

A gym is a place where you go to feel depressed, tired and you pay £23 a month for the pleasure.

£23! I wish! :(

Quote: Aaron @ April 13 2008, 8:00 PM BST

£23! I wish! :(

For the gym or a night with Charley?

Both could do with an improvement in price to be honest...

Quote: catskillz @ April 13 2008, 7:24 PM BST

As a Hip hop fan, I've got no complaints about you saying this (I don't own any of Eminem's albums). I just hope you don't brand all Hip hop as Chav music. As I've said before on here, the best Hip hop, sadly, always seems to remain underground, meaning the majority of people never get to hear it.

Actually, while I'm on the subject, it's funny how nowadays, Hip hop is always associated with Chavs, as I remember, back in the 90s, how chavs used to hate it, dismissing it as "Nigger Music". Indeed, I used to be the only person in my year at school who was into it. Ironically, the first half of the '90s are widely regarded by Hip hop fans, as the years that produced the best music/albums, before the music was destroyed by a wave of idiots, who wrote about nothing but guns and money etc. Once the record labels realised that this type of Rap sold more CDs than the old stuff - most of it to pre-pubescant boys - they scrapped signing old-style groups all together.

If Hip Hop's your thing I respect that, and admit I don't know anything about Hip Hop, but I certainly know how I feel about Eminem.

Quote: Paul W @ April 13 2008, 8:06 PM BST

For the gym or a night with Charley?

Both could do with an improvement in price to be honest...

Owing to what I quoted exactly, gym.

I got a cd once, by Deltron 3030. Del tha funkee... was on that I think.

Thinking about the 80s/90s you could have New Order.

Quote: Winterlight @ April 13 2008, 9:34 PM BST

That was Del's album....and it was awesome!

Quote: Winterlight @ April 13 2008, 9:34 PM BST

I've only heard a couple of the songs from that. It was produced by Dan the Automator, wasn't it?

Here's one of my favourite old Del songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9o0E6skYXjk

Thank you for introducing me to del tha funkee, I love it. :)

Quote: David Chapman @ April 13 2008, 9:54 PM BST

Thinking about the 80s/90s you could have New Order.

Yeah I realize I didn't mention every super band ever. I was really just concerned about this decade.

Quote: Fantasy Bazaar @ April 14 2008, 6:21 PM BST

Yeah I realize I didn't mention every super band ever. I was really just concerned about this decade.

realise*

Quote: Aaron @ April 14 2008, 8:29 PM BST

realise*

Never heard of them.

That's poor even by your standards David. Pull yer socks up a bit!